• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange SSD Problem

Evolved

System Name Cookies N Cream Sundae with Strawberries on top.
Processor Intel | i7 2600K | 4.2Ghz | 1.30v | HT Disabled
Motherboard Asus | Maximus IV Extreme | P67 Chipset | B3 Revision
Cooling Corsair H80 | BZ-502B | Corsair SP120/AF120 | 200mm Spectre Pro
Memory Mushkin Blackline | DDR3 | CL8 | 4x2GB @ 1600Mhz | 1.50v
Video Card(s) Asus | GTX 670 | DirectCU II | GPU: 1056Mhz | MEM: 1803Mhz
Storage Mushkin | Chronos Deluxe | 240GB | R: 560MB/s | W: 520MB/s
Display(s) Asus | VE248H | 24" | LED
Case Corsair | Graphite Series | 600T White | Window Side-Panel
Audio Device(s) Realtek | HD Audio | Creative | Sound Blaster | X-Fi | Go! Pro
Power Supply Corsair | AX850 | 80+ Gold certified | Fully modular
Software Microsoft | Windows 7 | Professional | x64 | OEM
Benchmark Scores BlackWidow | DeathAdder | Goliathus | Creative Fatal1ty Headset
I currently own the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB.

Just recently, my computer suffered a random BSOD crash while surfing the internet.

After restarting my computer manually, via reset button on my case, the SSD was no longer existent in my BIOS (or through booting), after turning my computer on and off; still the SSD was not found.

I flipped the switch off and on, on my power supply and then my SSD was existent. Everything went smoothly and seemed fine like it never happened.

However, the main issue here is, it's still happening. My computer has not crashed since, but if I shut down my computer down then come back after a few hours the SSD doesn't exist anymore... BUT!

If I flip the switch on the power supply, and then back on, the SSD can now be seen again.

What's the solution to this? I'm guessing a faulty Motherboard (most likely the port itself) or a faulty power cable or SATA cable. Either of three.

Thoughts?

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
well its either the SSD or the PSU, very unlinkely that it is a faulty motherboard. Here is what I would do:

1. Image the SSD while its up so you dont lose anything.
2. RMA the SSD and the powersupply.

Or

1. Image the ssd.
1.5 Flash to latest Firmware (is problem still happening? if yes go to step 2)
2. see if it happens with another PSU / when using the USB adapter (SSD's can pull enough power from the USB to run), if YES then SSD is dying, if NO then PSU is dying.
3. NO - Replace PSU. YES - Replace SSD.
4. If still happening look at motherboard.

Dying SSDs are known to 'dissapear' like that (it is actually very common - as a quick google search will prove), so brace yourself.

Some have had success by flashing the firmware of the drive. But it is most likely the SSD itself.

Last edited:

Evolved

System Name Cookies N Cream Sundae with Strawberries on top.
Processor Intel | i7 2600K | 4.2Ghz | 1.30v | HT Disabled
Motherboard Asus | Maximus IV Extreme | P67 Chipset | B3 Revision
Cooling Corsair H80 | BZ-502B | Corsair SP120/AF120 | 200mm Spectre Pro
Memory Mushkin Blackline | DDR3 | CL8 | 4x2GB @ 1600Mhz | 1.50v
Video Card(s) Asus | GTX 670 | DirectCU II | GPU: 1056Mhz | MEM: 1803Mhz
Storage Mushkin | Chronos Deluxe | 240GB | R: 560MB/s | W: 520MB/s
Display(s) Asus | VE248H | 24" | LED
Case Corsair | Graphite Series | 600T White | Window Side-Panel
Audio Device(s) Realtek | HD Audio | Creative | Sound Blaster | X-Fi | Go! Pro
Power Supply Corsair | AX850 | 80+ Gold certified | Fully modular
Software Microsoft | Windows 7 | Professional | x64 | OEM
Benchmark Scores BlackWidow | DeathAdder | Goliathus | Creative Fatal1ty Headset
well its either the SSD or the PSU, very unlinkely that it is a faulty motherboard.

I had flashed the SSD when I first got it, to the latest update from the Mushkin website.

It's still the very latest.

But I will definitely try the steps you have given me.

Thank you! :toast:

EDIT: Also, very unlikely that the PSU is the issue, since my 1TB Seagate drive can ALWAYS be seen, even when my SSD disappears.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I had flashed the SSD when I first got it, to the latest update from the Mushkin website.

EDIT: Also, very unlikely that the PSU is the issue, since my 1TB Seagate drive can ALWAYS be seen, even when my SSD disappears.
Does that mobo have a second Bios?

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
I currently own the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB.

Just recently, my computer suffered a random BSOD crash while surfing the internet.

After restarting my computer manually, via reset button on my case, the SSD was no longer existent in my BIOS (or through booting), after turning my computer on and off; still the SSD was not found.

I flipped the switch off and on, on my power supply and then my SSD was existent. Everything went smoothly and seemed fine like it never happened.

However, the main issue here is, it's still happening. My computer has not crashed since, but if I shut down my computer down then come back after a few hours the SSD doesn't exist anymore... BUT!

If I flip the switch on the power supply, and then back on, the SSD can now be seen again.

What's the solution to this? I'm guessing a faulty Motherboard (most likely the port itself) or a faulty power cable or SATA cable. Either of three.

Thoughts?

Try checking the SATA and power cables connected to the SSD, try switching the SATA cable out for another, check BIOS/UEFI settings, also make sure you have the drive connected to the second set of Red SATA ports, as the first are Marvell.

Also you could try adjusting Power Options, such as disabling "Turn off hard disk after" and switching the profile to "High performance".

Also make sure you have the latest drivers from Intel, and that your BIOS is up to date, you also may want to try the drive in another system just to see if it is the drive.

Unfortunately, given the SSD, you may be one of the few who still suffer from the power management bug that plagued the SF-2281 drives for the first few months after they were released, and was fixed for most users back at the end of October last year.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.

Yeah if you google, SSD disappearing, there are literally hundreds of posts with the same problem as you, and it comes back after a CMOS clear or PSU off or something. Across different mobos too.

Most of them end in "I replaced the SSD and now everything is fine," so... I would just RMA-it chances are SSD is having a fit.