• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strap and voltages (aka why)

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
On a 100 strap, i'd fail every test out there even at 1.40 vcore (at 45x100)
On a 125 strap, somehow everything was so much easier, perfectly stable, even with the new Prime95 version at a measly -in comparison- 1.355vcore (36x125, again 4500)

Is there a reason for this? One i could comprehend that is.. :)

Reversely, boosting uncore was piss easy on a 100 strap, extremely unforgiving on 125. Couldn't even reach 3,375 without extreme voltages, settled at 3,250 for now (leaving me some room for the RAM overclocking in case my controller is as bad as i think it is).

Same deal.. do we know why the opposite seems to apply here?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Update your BIOS perhaps? But its likely because of your 3400 MHz Memory and it needing the 125 strap to work properly in the first place?

Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Mouse Hamster original
@EarthDog got the latest bios driver. There's a newer one but it's still in Beta, they haven't even uploaded it on their official site. Am not going to dare getting that, i lack the knowledge to make such calls.

As to the RAM, i haven't touched it yet, won't be until Tuesday, just no time for tests until then. The above empirical observations (with all the term empirical may imply) were made with an underclocked RAM, running at 16x125=2000
(was told to OC main frequency first, all else stock. Then OC cache, keeping RAM at stock. And then and only then touch the RAM. Did it on a 100 strap, results disappointed, thought let's try 125, saw the RAM going above the default 2133, underclocked it to be sure any instability would be due to what i was touching and not the RAM)

Honestly, there shouldnt be a need to touch the strap in the first place. Leave it on auto. Only touch multi and vcore.

Here's the problem you are going to run into...Your ram, at 3400mhz, will require the use of the 125 strap once you enable you xmp. Well, it's not a problem, but something to be aware of. 100x40 is different than 125x40, so you will have to go back in and lower the cpu multiplier once you enable xmp.

No point to overclock cache..don't sweat it.

Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Mouse Hamster original
I am on a 125 strap now, so whatever my issues with RAM come Tuesday (hopefully none), they won't be related to that :)
-edit: am not going for XMP, will be doing it manually anyway.

I switched from auto (x100) to 125 both due to the RAM's specs and the ease in OCing; as stated, I couldn't reach 4.5GHz on the stock x100. Was just wondering if there's perhaps a reason for this. I mean, with the outcome being identical, I'd have expected the voltage to be as well.

As to the cache, am not stressed about it, I know. No, I -think- I know, lol

Last edited:
Why are you doing it manually?

There shouldn't be a reason for it, no. I have had no troubles with this board on either strap. None.

Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Mouse Hamster original
Why are you doing it manually?

There shouldn't be a reason for it, no. I have had no troubles with this board on either strap. None.

Three reasons. Mentality being one, i like to learn and do things on my own to the extent i'm capable of (this "use an app/profile to do it for you and stay happily ignorant" norm of our era irritates me). Two because XMP is an 'all inclusive' solution that may or may not cover me (and if it does, maybe it will over-compensate in voltages; maybe it will be asking for too little; have seen numerous such situations). Three because even if it does everything perfect, i'm still not planning on sticking with their stock timings. Plenty of leeway with Tridents.

Anyway you look at it, it's not like i've had any trouble, on the contrary. Am really satisfied with the mobo. Typical Gigabyte product. Does all the important things, has above average quality, does not stack superfluous shit only addressing teenagers. And it doesn't cost 600 bucks like certain other mobos do. Would buy again :)

Just curious about the differences according to strap used, is all.