• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

STRAX Launches High-end TWS Headphones Designed by Axel Grell

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
There appears to be no shortage of new TWS headphones being announced, but these ones are slightly different from the competition, as they have 27 year Sennheiser veteran Axel Grell behind them. The grell TWS/1 is the first product from grell, a brand from STRAX, which is also home to Urbanista, WeSC and several other brands that mostly focuses on audio or mobile accessories.

The TWS/1 does as you'd expect, focus on audio quality, but also includes all the kind of features you'd expect from current generation TWS headphones, such as ANC, Bluetooth 5.2 and support for the SoundID app from Sonarworks. The TWS/1 is based on Qualcomm's QCC5141 Bluetooth SoC which sits in the premium tier of Qualcomm's product stack and features a pair of DSPs as well as a system processor and an application processor.

As the TWS/1 is based on Qualcomm hardware, support for atpX and aptX adaptive are part of the package in addition to SBC and AAC, but also LHDC (Low Latency High-Definition Audio Codec) from Savitech. So far LHDC doesn't seem to have very wide support with Xiaomi seemingly being the only phone maker that supports it, although several DAC makers seem to offer support for it. Voice assistants are supported, but there's no mention of which ones.

The speaker elements are simply 10.1 mm dynamic drivers, although we'd have to wait for some reviews to see how they compare to the competition. In addition to Qualcomm based ANC, the TWS/1's also features Axel Grell Noise Annoyance Reduction (NAR) and transparency mode. The battery life is said to be up to six hours with ANC on and eight hours with it off. The supplied charging case offers an additional four full charges for a total of 34 to 45 hours of battery life. Both USB-C and wireless charging is supported for the charging case. Finally, the headphones are splash proof (IPX4) and weigh in at 7.3 gram each.

You'd expect to pay a premium price for something like this, but surprisingly the TWS/1's are retailing for US$199.99, putting them well below the likes of Apple, Bose, Sennheiser and Sony's high-end models.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I should have a review sample in, so I am quite interested and intrigued too whether this is more than just using the Grell name for marketing, and how far the audio consultant role goes.

very much looking forward to that review! I'm in the market for some bluetooth earburds

Reactions: VSG
Already pulled a trigger on WF-1000XM4, they should arrive next week, hopefully Sony delivers. However I'm still interested to see how these will turn out.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Already pulled a trigger on WF-1000XM4, they should arrive next week, hopefully Sony delivers. However I'm still interested to see how these will turn out.

those are a safe bet, you can't go wrong with those

Reactions: VSG