• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strictly Quantum: EK Shows New Velocity2 CPU Blocks, Lignum GPU Block, Real Gold Fittings and More!

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
EK Water Blocks, or simply EK as the company refers to itself now, had a decent showing at the virtual Computex 2021 event including new AIO CPU coolers, additions to its Fluid Gaming and Fluid Works portfolio, and more water blocks based on current designs and supporting newer hardware, including one we reported on just a few hours ago. These all interested me, but then there was a nearly two hour private conversation followed by a live stream that ended minutes ago which shed more light on future updates and products in its mainstream Quantum DIY liquid cooling lineup.

There were renders of the upcoming Velocity² CPU blocks shared before, but seeing them actually manufactured is a whole other thing. Velocity² is the update to EK's popular Velocity CPU blocks, with a complete redesign that evokes more comparisons to monoblocks than other CPU blocks. Taking cues from the flagship EK-Quantum Magnitude, you will see different cooling engines to better cool different CPU sockets. There is also a concealed aesthetic theme here, especially for the acetal top version where you can't see any screws in use, thanks to a patent-pending mounting mechanism from the back- again taking cues from monoblocks. EK says the new system uses "pre-tensioned springs concealed in the water block top, so with just a few turns on the thumb-nuts, the installation is finished". We look forward to checking these out in person when they release in the Sept 2021 timeframe. Read past the break for more from EK!

No luck with prototypes of the all new Vector² GPU blocks though, so renders will have to do. While not looking that different from the current generation of Vector GPU blocks, there is more than meets the eye. For instance, it appears that the angled I/O terminals are gone in favor of the EK-Classic style rectangular cuboid ones. This thicker terminal helps with port spacing, which in turn is part of a master plan from the Slovenian brand that we will talk about shortly. Lighting in applicable blocks is also now concealed behind a long strip more in the middle as opposed to shining upwards from the bottom, and there is now a single piece insert with jetplate for more uniform coolant split in the center over the GPU cover as well as helping prevent the jetplate from moving around accidentally. The backplate has also been updated to where the side now wraps fully around the PCB and makes contact with the GPU block for some additional cooling potential to components on the back of the PCB as with the RTX 3090 VRAM modules. The design language has been modified thus to fit the Velocity², and both are in line with the rest of the EK-Quantum product portfolio.

Ah, Lignum makes a comeback. The EK-Lignum products were of personal interest to EK's founder, Edvard König, that the brand is named after. Being the only products to use natural materials in the company's lineup, there is now a new Lignum GPU block coming to fit the RTX 3080/3080 Ti/3090 reference PCB as well as some Zotac PCBs that are simply longer than the reference layout. Expect these to fetch a pretty penny however, since working with wood involves more manual time and glue than machining would allow. There are no plans for an EK-Lignum block for the AMD Radeon side, so the red team will have to be content with the other offerings for the time being. The new GPU block fits alongside the Lignum CPU block and compression fittings, so we may well see a few more all-Lignum builds in the future.

Speaking of fittings, did you look at your blingy custom watercooled PC and think it needs more bling? Fear not, EK has real gold-plated brass Quantum Torque fittings coming up just for you. Available as compression fittings and angled adapters for a total of 32 new fittings, there is a thin layer of gold that I personally think will go well with an all black or white theme as accents. Helping further with this is the announcement of new pre-bent tubing, but now in metal to match the three finishes for the EK fittings (Black, Nickel, Satin Titanium).

I will be taking a look at one of EK's FLT reservoirs soon, which is a flat reservoir using 120/140 mm fan hole spacing for case installation to make for a retail product that was once only a custom modder's hard work. These also provide the look of a distribution plate in the front of a case without tying you to a specific tube plumbing layout either. The smallest that could be made thus is one that fits a single 120 mm fan mount, but that had challenges in designing enough space for coolant while also allowing air to escape. So imagine my delight at seeing this wee reservoir/pump combo unit come out that is all of 80 mm wide, and being able to fit in a D5 or DDC at the back. This allows for some tight loops to be made in spaces that you would otherwise not see, including the Lian Li PC-O11D external cooling unit that was first teased at CES earlier this year.

Radiators get a whole refresh coming up soon in the form of the new EK-Quantum Surface in black and white color schemes as well as several combinations of 120/140 mm sizes and multi-port and cross-flow special editions. This results in over 50 models, and there are three thickness classes employed here with S (30 mm), P (44 mm), and X (58 mm) more or less in line with the current EK-Coolstream SE/PE/XE radiators respectively. There is a silver colored trim on the end tanks that might irk some for taking away from the otherwise clean looks, but finally having white radiators across the board from EK will please even more no doubt.

This brings us to the new fans called EK-Quantum Phase and Impulse, with one aiming for a balance of RGB and performance and the other shifting further towards form over function. RGB sells, and I can't even begin to tell you how many RGB fans have sold for companies just in the last month alone. The EK-Quantum Phase is the more balanced of the two, but claims to be a high performance radiator fan with an impeller and bearing design to back it. Indeed, we are going to see a magnetic levitation bearing here paired with the square frame design that worked well for the EK-Vardar fans. The Impulse still gets the MagLev bearing, but adds in an RGB-lit frame on top of the central LEDs from the Pulse. The EK-Quantum Phase also gets some more features of the EK-Vardar fans in supporting interchangeable colored rubber corner accents for vibration dampening, and expect to see both fans use a frame-based link connector allowing for no cables required between multiple fans on a radiator (within reason) for neater cable management. The Phase will arrive ~Nov this year with the Impulse slated for a CES 2022 release.

See all those 7s in there? If you were wondering what that new I/O terminal on the Vector² was thicker for, now you know. Dubbed the EK-Quantum Matrix7, EK sees this as a new standard in PC watercooling similar to what the BSP G1/4" thread did in unifying different thread sizes a few years ago (I still maintain G3/8" should have taken off instead!). With distro plates taking off more than ever, having a clean set of parallel tubing runs has become easier too. EK wants to improve on this further by adding in consistency in spacing across all three used dimensions, and ended up using multiple of 7 mm to achieve this. The choice of 7 mm makes sense in hindsight once you consider there are several measurements employed today that come near 7 or right around multiple of 7, with the smallest one with the 1/4" (6.33 mm) thread that also has an occupied footprint over 7 mm, thus making 7 a logical choice in EK's eyes.

The Matrix7 system did not just come out of nowhere, there are already existing products which meet this metric and of course everything announced and coming up will comply too. By keeping things adhering to this, well, matrix of numbers, EK is able to ensure better compatibility for tubing runs from, say a CPU block to a GPU block irrespective of which CPU or GPU you have. This is why you have extender fittings in 7/14/28 mm height or the new radiators are 30/44/58 mm in thickness such that a 14 mm extender will get you from 30 to 44 and 58, and these radiators will be right in line with distro plate threads and, say, angled adapter fittings too. A new standard in DIY watercooling? Time will tell, but this depends a lot on support given by other companies to this system but also EK giving support to distro plates made for other companies. Something tells me CORSAIR, Phanteks, Tt cases will be treated less of a priority compared to Lian-Li and InWin cases though! Let me know in the comments section what you think of this, and also the rest of the announcements done.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
whats lignum?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
whats lignum?
Typically rough translation for wood, probably from Greek/Roman/Latin/whatever.

Definitely not Lignum Vitae though.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
From what I've read of how hot the back side 12 memory chips get last thing i'd want is a combusible material like wood there lol

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I dont understand the need for real gold fittings except to price gouge more than they are actually worth, an appeal to cash whales.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Its not made of gold, its just using real gold for plating. The plating is really thin.

And expensive. ;)
regardless of thick the plating is or whatever material they use for plating, its an increase in risk no matter how perfect the process is.

The bottom line is that this is still a PR gimmick to pad costs and sales to the "oh shiney!" crowd.

Processor R7 5800X
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix B550 I
Cooling Fractal Celsius
Memory 32
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus RTX 4080 OC
Storage Lots
Display(s) LG 4k, Dell 1440p
Case Fractal Nano S
Audio Device(s) Vintage
Power Supply EVGA 650 SFF
Mouse Pwnage SYM2
Keyboard EVGA Z15
regardless of thick the plating is or whatever material they use for plating, its an increase in risk no matter how perfect the process is.

The bottom line is that this is still a PR gimmick to pad costs and sales to the "oh shiney!" crowd.
PC gamers = "oh shiney!" crowd.
It's not a gimmick any more than RGB is. And ppl want RGB.
A all black build with gold fittings would look pretty good.
John Player Special anyone?

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Processor R7 5800X
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix B550 I
Cooling Fractal Celsius
Memory 32
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus RTX 4080 OC
Storage Lots
Display(s) LG 4k, Dell 1440p
Case Fractal Nano S
Audio Device(s) Vintage
Power Supply EVGA 650 SFF
Mouse Pwnage SYM2
Keyboard EVGA Z15
#sayNO2rgb

its a proven fact RGB makes everyting run 25% faster and cooler. :shadedshu: :banghead:
Quit being so grumpy, who cares.
I have a closed case so whatever, but if bling makes someone else happy it's none of my business :)

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Yeah, the gold fittings are for show builds and people who wanna spend the money for the aesthetic. Who cares?