1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stutter lock up issues on windows 7

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Reefer86, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    hi guys, ive been having like a freeze issues on windows 7 recently, i actually dont think its related to the OS but more maybe ram or storage issues. Obviously i maybe way off with my assumptions but thats why im asking as i dont know. Im leaning toward my hardrive as its kinda old.

Problem is that i will open a program it will come up but then the window open and behind will freeze. My mouse is still moving around but im not able to click anything and i can ctrl-alt-delete to task manager etc. The computer then 'unfreezes about 5- 10 secs after the initial freeze. Im not sure if these are called stuttering issues or freezing but its very annoying.

Any help would be great.

2. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check the cable for your hard drive. Make sure it's secure properly. If so try replacing it with another cord. See if that stops the problem.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    I see your system is OC, when did it start?

4. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    well the connection to the hardrive is damaged, so this might be my problem. This has only happened recently tho. the hardrive is about 3 years old, so its had some hammering.

It started about 3 days ago and ive been running that overclock for about 2 weeks no problems

5. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Rofl! How did it manage to get damaged? I had some slight issues with stuttering too mainly when I gamed, but in my case, i needed some more voltage, raised it a couple of notches and that solved my prob.

6. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    well its not stuttering in games or really stuttering in windows but more a freeze for 3-10 secs. Well on the back of the drive there is the sata connector with the plastic bit that insert into the cable, that snapped off, i kinda modded it and it fits on fine. Maybe i should just conceit and by a new drive.