1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sudden Data Loss...why?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Michael1337, May 16, 2014.

1. Michael1337 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sudden memory loss, why?
    The other day I was installing Elder Scrolls Online and during the proccess I noticed that some of my games and gaming applications just disapeared at the same time, such as Battlenet, Origin and Steam. The shortcuts still existed but didn't work obviously, so I checked my hard-drives and all the files for the applications and games were gone. Is the guilty one for this fault the installation of Elder Scrolls Online or is it the fact that the hard drives is 4 years old and pretty worn? Everything else in my computer is less than 5 months old. Any ideas? I've been considering purchasing new hard drives for a while but all the work that is needed to be done to get Everything installed have stopped me.
    And if I do have to get new ones, will I be able to use my old Windows 7 copy on the new drive? Just to save Money you know.

So please share your ideas, if you want info about my setup just tell me, very gratefull!

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Check smart data on your HDD with CrystalDisk INFO and it could be some dodgy sectors. I highly doubt ESO deleted everything.

Either that or you became temporarily possessed by the mischievous Lord of B***ardlyness and proceeded to delete all your games.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Sasqui says thanks.
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I suspect the NSA

95Viper and RCoon say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Or Alcohol :D

Sasqui says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I forgot about that one. Wait, what?

Me thinks this is devolving into a very unhelpful thread. I'm punchy and digress...

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try restoring the drive to a date previous to the installation of Elder Scrolls and see if that brings your games back?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. 64K

Thanks Received:
    If you do have to get a new HD you can install your Win 7 on that HD. For OEM Windows it's tied to the motherboard.

8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    For files to disappear on a NTFS drive they have to be deleted physically, and or the MFT entry has to be erased and the file header damaged. NTFS is a journal system, which are only deleted on success of a write or copy. Run scandisk with a free space check.

10 Year Member at TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  9. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Can't believe nobody has asked this: Is your system overclocked? Can you please go into your user control panel and fill out your system specs for us?