• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sudden loss of write speed on flashdrive

69Rixter

Recently, I noticed the write speed of a Kingston DT101G2 16Gb dropped considerably. One time it ran @ 5.5+Mb/s the, next time @ 1.8-2.3Mb/s.(using Win7) I checked my other "drives" and found 5 that have the same problem. This seems to be a rather common occurrence among flashdrives, and after going through many, many forums, the net and articles, I have not found a definitive explanation, nor a common "cure" to this anomaly. My limited knowledge has led me to question the "gate"(I hope that's the correct term) of the drive. But, that's just my guess. Could someone head me in the right direction of understanding what would cause the sudden slow write speed and what I may be able to do in order to restore the drives to their original write speeds. I've done an extraordinary amount of tests on the drives and all the tests have concluded the drives are operating correctly with no "defects" detected (healthy). On the Kingston I've also wiped/rebuilt partition, formatted in both NTFS & Fat 32, tried a formatting tool directly from Kingston Inc. especially for formatting their drives. Nothing has repaired this drive. Right now, I'm transferring a 9.6Gb file and the rate is fluctuating between 1.38-3.26Mb/s.(Lenovo ThinkCenter-Win10). None of the drives in question are older than 2 y/o and one (Sandisk Cuzer Glide 3.0/256Gb) is less than 9 mos. all drives have been used, in what I'd consider, moderate to little operation. I could provide much more info about what I've done concerning testing the drive, but unless requested(for it's an extensive list), I'll omit that. So, here's my objective #1. Identify and correct what caused the slow-down problem #2. Restore the drives to their original "write" operating speed. These drives, according to all tests confirm these drives are not dead!!!
THANX:
:banghead:Rick

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
They wear out.

Sometimes plugging into another usb slot will help speeds. If you have any usb3 ports test the stick in those.

69Rixter

Re: natRon

Ah... you busted me right-off-the-bat. That is one of the "tests" I did, that wasn't in the post. Also, (maybe this is relevant) I've tested on Win 10/Win7 and LM 18.3 O.S.'s with minimal/negligent differences.

69Rixter

RE: The_DriverX

Thanx for the link. I've read this previously. Ahm... as i agree with the "functioning" of a flash drive, I have serious doubts that 5 drives suddenly, at almost the same time, developed the malady in question. I understand how a drive slows while writing, but in my cases(s) it's the write speed has dropped so considerably at the start. I've been trying to find what articles i can explaining 'how" a flash is written to/read from and I'm "thinking" that somewhere in my quest to understand that process, I may find an answer. Appreciate you responding and if something else should occur to you, do let me know.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
One of the down sides of using NAND flash for storage is that once a cell has been used, it has to be erased before new data can be written to it again. This is why SSDs have the TRIM command. However, almost no USB flash drive, especially cheap ones, support any kind of TRIM or garbage collection. So they they are new, write speeds will be good. But once you have written enough data to the drive that every cell has been used, write speeds drop, because from that point on it has to erase the cell before it can write to it.

Also, this doesn't mean you have to fill the drive up before this happens. It just means you have to write enough data to use every cell in the drive. Flash drives do have wear leveling in them, so even if you save the same file over and over again, it will write that file to different cells. So in the case of a 16GB flash drive, you just have to write 16GB of data to the drive for the write speed to start to degrade. You can do this by writing about 16GB of different files to it, or just saving the same 1GB file 16 times.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 860EVO // Samsung840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2

69Rixter

One of the down sides of using NAND flash for storage is that once a cell has been used, it has to be erased before new data can be written to it again. This is why SSDs have the TRIM command. However, almost no USB flash drive, especially cheap ones, support any kind of TRIM or garbage collection. So they they are new, write speeds will be good. But once you have written enough data to the drive that every cell has been used, write speeds drop, because from that point on it has to erase the cell before it can write to it.

Also, this doesn't mean you have to fill the drive up before this happens. It just means you have to write enough data to use every cell in the drive. Flash drives do have wear leveling in them, so even if you save the same file over and over again, it will write that file to different cells. So in the case of a 16GB flash drive, you just have to write 16GB of data to the drive for the write speed to start to degrade. You can do this by writing about 16GB of different files to it, or just saving the same 1GB file 16 times.

RE: newtekie1
Quite aware of all you've responded. As I do agree there'll be a certain 'drop-off"(speed wise) from the first few times you copy to it, that's not what happened to these drives. Everything was status quo with them until, at almost the same times, they all developed a considerable loss of write speed. The two 3.0 drives went from approx 8-9+Mb/s to 3.4-4-2Mb/s and the 2.0 drives dropped from about 5-6+Mb/s to 1.8-2.1Mb/s. I don't believe there are many (if any) pendrives employing TRIM. B-T-W, none of these drives have been used more than 2 yrs and "moderately" written to. (yes, I know ...that's subjective). To make a case-in-point; I still use a Kingston 2Gb pendrive--that's 11 y/o and no problems. (bet there's few who can say that). So, with all due respect, I think the "problem" (?)...well don't know what caused these drives to suddenly "lose writing speed". Question: what do you know about flashing the firmware of flashdrives?
TNX for responding

RE: sfitz54

Appreciate you responding. I've tried the Kingston format tool. I'm not so sure it was adequate... by that I mean when I employed it: #1 Wasn't able to access FAT32 or even FAT16 #2. Although it "said" it formatted the Kingston drive, the "progress" bar only indicated about 75%??? Any thoughts?
TNX:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
You've been given the correct answer - nothing short of TRIM or a low level format will return those speeds.

Even the files you're copying can vary the speeds greatly, flash memory doesnt like lots of small files/writes, and even the size of what you're copying will have an effect (many flash drives have a smaller cache, like 128MB of high speed cache, then the remainder of the drive at the slower speed) - once you pass that buffer, it slows to a crawl

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Stupid question: could this be the result of meltdown / spectre fixes?

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
There's only one answer: it's a fucking Kingston.
I've seen way too many problems with their drives mostly related to their choice of low-cost controllers.
For example, I had several DT100 G3 and DTSE9 G2 USB3.0 drives die due to faulty controller after only a few months of low usage. Had a pair of DTSE9 drives that suffered from the same issue as yours (read speeds as low as 5MB/s on large files, write speeds may drop to KB range), and one of them gave up completely, while the second one is in semi-alive state and cannot be used as bootable drive at all. Every time you do a manual partitioning/formatting through diskpart or attempt to create a GPT partition table (which worked before), it simply fails and has to be recovered via factory diag. tool (That one uses Alcor controller, so it's AlcorMP and a following low-level format).
The other USB3.0 drive occasionally does not want to work on USB2.0 ports (even on the same machine where it previously worked). That was the last Kingston drive I ever bought.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
Same happened to Sandisk Blade it writes only some Kb/s also haw drives who do not boot in bios and write protected MicroSD. Nothing better then Sandisk Extreme i haven't seen.

I've noticed this happening as a drive starts to approach it's death. And then one day it will stop reading completely. I never store anything important on flash drives anymore.

69Rixter

EVERYONE:

Wish to thank all who've replied. Got some very interesting/informative answers. Yes, I am aware there is a limit to all pendrive's performance, and mine are no exception. Just seems curious that 5 drives all developed the same malady at almost the same time. TO: silentbogo I beg to differ. The pendrives in question were of 3 different manufactures. And, I have a 11 y/o Kingston that's still functioning as it did the day I got it. I keep getting responses referring to 'low-level" format. Isn't that what most formatting tools are? And I'd like comments on what "flashing" the drives firmware may/may not accomplish? That is/will be (if I decide to do it) the last I'll do to try to restore these drives.(BTW...Sandisk does not provide their firmware for such a task) It was never about the cost (being cheap) of a flash drive even with their recent increase in price. I wanted to know what caused the failures in 5 different drives at almost the exact same time. And, if possible, revert them back to their original working state. I tend to go with silentbogo when he states it has to do with the controllers in the drives. Something has caused the deterioration of the write speeds and that very well could be the controllers, (IDK) but all 5 at almost the same time? Hmmm...???

THANX:

Reactions: HTC
You bring up a good point about the controllers. If the usb on a particular system is running voltages out-of-spec that damaged the controller or the drive, that's another possibility.