• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Suggest about my HDD status [pc and laptop]

finix

I have attached the scrnsht from hd tune ,plz suggest me if there is much wrong and what should i do to solve those if any...

in error scan,there were no "damaged blocks"

DESKTOP hdd status =

LAPTOP hdd status =

how serious the problems are and what should i do ,hoping advices :] thanks

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the laptop... try blowing out any dust or blockage. Check that the fan, if you have one, is working and there is adequate airflow.
If cleaning out the laptop does not give the desired results; you may want to test it in your desktop, where it can breath, to see if the temps do decrease.

Also, what was the ambient temp where you are located during the laptop's test?

As for the HDD in the PC (desktop, I am guessing).
Backup you data, now.
Get a replacement and/or RMA the HDD, if still under warranty.
It could go for years or die on you in a second; depends on what caused the errors.
You can use some monitoring software (such as your HD Tune Pro) to see if the errors increase.

finix

For the laptop... try blowing out any dust or blockage. Check that the fan, if you have one, is working and there is adequate airflow.
If cleaning out the laptop does not give the desired results; you may want to test it in your desktop, where it can breath, to see if the temps do decrease.

Also, what was the ambient temp where you are located during the laptop's test?

As for the HDD in the PC (desktop, I am guessing).
Backup you data, now.
Get a replacement and/or RMA the HDD, if still under warranty.
It could go for years or die on you in a second; depends on what caused the errors.
You can use some monitoring software (such as your HD Tune Pro) to see if the errors increase.

thnaks for ur reply...
the temp of the room was then around 25 °C

none of my hdds have warrenty left ,today i checked the desktop hdd status ,this was the result ,what do u think ..

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
none of my hdds have warrenty left ,today i checked the desktop hdd status ,this was the result ,what do u think ..

You need to back up, now, any data you want to keep.
Run a check disk on the drive.
Check windows error logs to see if Windows is having any troubles with the drive or associated systems.
Try changing your data cable.
Run the DFT (Drive Fitness Test) from HGST (Hitachi).

Below is a quote from a troubleshooting guide at HGST(hitachi):
My drive has bad sectors. Do I need to replace it?
A bad sector occurs when the operating system or utility is unable to access a sector on a
drive. However, it does not necessarily mean that the drive is bad. In fact, the sector may
not be physically damaged at all. For example, bad cabling can result in Cyclic
Redundancy Check (CRC) errors which can be reported as bad sectors when in fact it is a
communication error. Viruses can also corrupt data which can cause read errors as well.
We have a utility called Drive Fitness Test (DFT) that is specifically designed to test the
integrity of Hitachi Global Storage Technologies hard drives. We recommend running the
advanced test as it performs a complete test of the drive. This utility should help to
determine whether your drive has a physical problem or if the problem is more of a
software related issue.

But, my guess is the drive is starting to fail. You might want to think about getting a replacement as soon as possible.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
It hasn't failed yet but its going. Back up