• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Suggestions for affordable office or gaming chair in the $150-200 range?

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
Looking to purchase a chair for my use at my PC. I tend to sit for long hours throughout the day, occasionally up to 10 hours or so. My budget is limited to around $150-200. I'm around 5' 6", so I don't a massive chair. I am in the US.

My main complaint with chairs is they tend to get sweaty in the summer. Cheap "leather" chairs can be especially bad with this as I've learned with a previous chair. So I would prefer to look at a mesh design if those allow for higher airflow but am open to other materials as well. I will say I do prefer a more flat chair and don't enjoy some of the raised side edges a lot of the gaming chairs have.

Side arms and head rest I would like to leave removed as they get in the way, so designs that don't allow removal of them are less desired.

I am currently trying out a Hyken from Staples: https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

It is an okay chair for my size and needs and feels comfortable enough but have read that it won't last 3 years before part breakage which has me looking for alternatives now.

I've never tried a higher end chair like a Herman Miller and don't know of a place locally that has them on the floor to try. I can find Aerons semi locally used in the $350-400 range but they typically seem to be out of warranty, partially broken, and 5-8 or so years old. I do prefer new, but will consider something higher end if I can actually find something in the $150-200 range.

So considering all that, are there any other brands and models I should look at? I am not opposed to getting an "office chair" or a "gaming chair", just want something that will meet the requirements above nicely and last 3-5 years ideally.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
i think you are in right direction with a good office chair because these gamer chairs are nothing but marketing schabang.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Unfortunately I don't have any specific suggestions (though IIRC there were some in the GN video above?), but I'll just chime in and say that the choice to avoid gaming chairs is an excellent one. Their ergonomics are terrible, they are severely overpriced, and generally don't last long.

I bought an Autonomous Ergochair a few months ago, after looking for quite a while and really having settled on it almost a year beforehand - I just didn't have the money at the time. At first, I was pretty disappointed - the armrests were too wide, and I couldn't find a good balance of back/seat angle, lumbar support and seat height. A week in I actually had much worse back pain than previously.

However, as is often the case, PEBKAC - quite literally. Due to the adjustability of the chair I had for some reason convinced myself that I needed a much higher seat height than I did - the seat tilts sufficiently to allow me to plant my feet even if the seat is actually much to high. So, after realizing that, the back pain disappeared in (literally) a couple of days, and I've been extremely pleased with the chair since. I've even adjusted to the wider-than-necessary armrests, which while they do force my elbows out further than I would ideally want, have not caused me any discomfort whatsoever. I spend 10+ hours in this chair daily and it's fantastic. (It's also gorgeous in the apple green color.)

Of course, it's also well out of your budget range. But I would try to find something that sets similar goals - adjustability, ergonomics, flexibility. Gaming chairs have none of that. There are decent-looking mesh-backed office chairs in the $200 range on Amazon that should fit your needs well, and have far more adjustability than any gaming chair. I'd also really recommend getting a mesh-backed chair. While it's not going to last quite as long as denser fabric, the back generally isn't what sees the most wear, so it's not likely to stretch much, and mesh provides so much better comfort than foam and fabric. Just make sure the chair also has some form of lumbar support.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You really need to find an office supply (or better yet, office furniture) store locally and try them out. We can comment on build quality but what supports my back, for example, may cause yours to ache. I'm a bit taller than you, but I have a relatively short inseam (28"). So I tend to have problems finding a chair that doesn't put too much pressure on the backs of my thighs, yet provides enough thigh support too, while at the same time supports my lumbar area and arms at the right height.

In other words, you are you and no one can tell what will work for you, but you.

I'd also really recommend getting a mesh-backed chair. While it's not going to last quite as long as denser fabric, the back generally isn't what sees the most wear, so it's not likely to stretch much, and mesh provides so much better comfort than foam and fabric. Just make sure the chair also has some form of lumbar support.
Just chiming in on the the durability of mesh, I have a Hermin Miller Setu that is going on probably going on 8 years old or so. It has a one piece seat and back mesh, I use it almost every day and while only recently have them been ~8 hour days it basically looks like the day I bought it after I vacuum it out so like everything else I really think it depends on the build quality and materials.

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
Had a look at Ikea? test some of the chairs there, recently got a Järvfjället for my self, after the padding on my Markus stated to give a bit way after 12 years use and 1 year of work from home. The cloth versions are nicer in summer heat than the fake leather ones. The armrests can be removed on both of them (you might even get them cheaper without the armrests), but only Järfjället can have the headrest removed.

Its important to try them first, and really sit for as long as possible to feel if the chair works for your body.

Well, that is really up to you, you can decide what fits for you. You should check it personally with your back/lower parts :)
Probably it is against your preference, but a plus 1 vote Ikea Markus kinda stuff. I am using an Antares Netsy, so far i really like it. But i dont know if it is available for you overseas.
Textil sit part, mesh back, and yes, there is a headrest, but it fits for me, and overall, it isnt a big chair.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
I buy all of my studio chairs off Craigslist. You can get like new chairs that were originally stupid expensive cheap. I have one dark brown real leather executive office chair that was several hundred dollars new I paid $50 for from a business that had closed and was selling off all of their furniture. They'd asked $100 but took $50. It also has lumbar adjustments.

For my studio I go through chairs far faster than I should because my cats love destroying them. They'll peel the top layer of fake leather off them with their claws. That top layer is shockingly thin as I've discovered from experience (Serta is a prime example). Because of that factor I won't pay more than $30 for a faux leather chair even if it's in perfect condition. Back when I was in radio I did the 12-6 a.m. shift for a few years and having a comfortable sturdy chair was a must. I went through every chair in the station to find the one I liked best then started looking for one similar on Craigslist. I eventually found the same exact model and got it for $25. Padded armrests, lumbar and height adjustments plus back angle adjustment, excellent ergonomics for my body and very solid construction. It was originally a $200 chair. I still have it in use even though one of my feline monsters has claimed it as her own.

We went through a lot of chairs at the radio station, new and used. The mesh chairs always quickly fell apart. We had those in our staff conference room and everybody hated them for various reasons. Eventually the bigger padded chairs from the broadcast and production studios replaced them in the duty cycle. It was interesting to see what chairs were always taken first for long boring staff meetings. Those of us who had offices and our own chairs always wheeled them in for ourselves. The armless mesh chairs were always the last choice.

For broadcasting and studio production work well padded arms are a blessing when you're sitting for several hours at a time every day. The contour of the seat and back also make a huge difference. New hires would go buy expensive new chairs for themselves. Crafty old veterans always bought theirs off Craigslist or closeout sales at office supply stores. That's how I learned what to get, what not to get and where to buy them cheapest.

Steelcase and Herman Miller chairs destroy everything vs Gaming "race car RGB" chairs. There are multiple options, but they may be out of your price range. You can save a lot of money by buying a refurbished one (Just avoid Madison Seating or anything from New Jersey that's refurbished).

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
@Flogger23m , I am using the exact same chair as you. It's an ok chair, my first mesh. They also had a tempurpedic chair that I think was in the $200-$300 range that I almost bought but I really wanted the mesh bottom so my farts go straight to hell and bug everyone there.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I hate cushioned arms as they seem to crack after a few years; I'm happy with solid arm rests.

Last edited:
System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
IKEA Markus

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Had a look at Ikea? test some of the chairs there, recently got a Järvfjället for my self, after the padding on my Markus stated to give a bit way after 12 years use and 1 year of work from home. The cloth versions are nicer in summer heat than the fake leather ones. The armrests can be removed on both of them (you might even get them cheaper without the armrests), but only Järfjället can have the headrest removed.

Its important to try them first, and really sit for as long as possible to feel if the chair works for your body.
The Järvfjället is really nice, the only reason I didn't get one of those is the lack of adjustable armrests. I found the Markus to be far too deep and wide with too much of a backwards tilt to its back, but the Järvfjället was very comfortable, and had really good lumbar support.
Just chiming in on the the durability of mesh, I have a Hermin Miller Setu that is going on probably going on 8 years old or so. It has a one piece seat and back mesh, I use it almost every day and while only recently have them been ~8 hour days it basically looks like the day I bought it after I vacuum it out so like everything else I really think it depends on the build quality and materials.
Very true. Those aren't cheap though!

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
Any particular higher end models to look for used? The Aeron and Leap seem to be popular, but start $350-400 or more locally. Anything else by Herman Miller, Steel Case or and brand I should look for?

Or any other specific recommendations?

@Flogger23m , I am using the exact same chair as you. It's an ok chair, my first mesh. They also had a tempurpedic chair that I think was in the $200-$300 range that I almost bought but I really wanted the mesh bottom so my farts go straight to hell and bug everyone there.

How long have you had it? Has it held up well?

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
A couple weeks, so I am in the same boat as you.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
Looking to purchase a chair for my use at my PC. I tend to sit for long hours throughout the day, occasionally up to 10 hours or so. My budget is limited to around $150-200. I'm around 5' 6", so I don't a massive chair. I am in the US.

My main complaint with chairs is they tend to get sweaty in the summer. Cheap "leather" chairs can be especially bad with this as I've learned with a previous chair. So I would prefer to look at a mesh design if those allow for higher airflow but am open to other materials as well. I will say I do prefer a more flat chair and don't enjoy some of the raised side edges a lot of the gaming chairs have.

Side arms and head rest I would like to leave removed as they get in the way, so designs that don't allow removal of them are less desired.

I am currently trying out a Hyken from Staples: https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

It is an okay chair for my size and needs and feels comfortable enough but have read that it won't last 3 years before part breakage which has me looking for alternatives now.

I've never tried a higher end chair like a Herman Miller and don't know of a place locally that has them on the floor to try. I can find Aerons semi locally used in the $350-400 range but they typically seem to be out of warranty, partially broken, and 5-8 or so years old. I do prefer new, but will consider something higher end if I can actually find something in the $150-200 range.

So considering all that, are there any other brands and models I should look at? I am not opposed to getting an "office chair" or a "gaming chair", just want something that will meet the requirements above nicely and last 3-5 years ideally.

I bought the same chair from Staples about 3 weeks ago when it was on sale for $130. Staples assembled it for me for $15. It is comfortable, has good lumbar support and a headrest, but it has started to creak already. Originally I was going to get a Herman Miller Aeron but at only 1/10 of the price, I figure if it breaks after 5 years I will just get another one. Plus it does have 7-year of manufacturer warranty. It is Staples' most popular chair.

I am 5'7" but my desk is a bit high so I am thinking of using my footrest for more comfort.

Last edited:
System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
I'm looking for a comfortable gaming chair tho I'm not a full-time gamer but my work requires about 12 to 14 hours of sitting and it really hurts my back.
serious suggestions are appreciated.
Herman Miller Aeron if you want to splurge. Otherwise, the one OP posted is good. I have had it since July and it is very comfortable and holding up quite well. I have tried several so called gaming chairs and none of them is comfortable for me.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I don't believe even the best made chair, custom designed specifically for your body by an ergonomic/orthopedic specialist can help that much if you sit 12-14 hours per day. What you really need is to change your routine - to include possibly changing your desk too. You need to get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour or maybe even every 30 minutes. You must make sure your keyboard and monitor are the correct height and position for your neck, back, shoulders (and eyes and the rest of your body too).

You probably should look into a back and/or shoulder brace.

You might also consider one of those desks that convert back and forth from a sitting desk to a standing desk. Some are quite affordable, like this one.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Aeron remastered is :love:. I'm on the edge of the chart between medium and large though and I got the medium because it was faster shipping - sometimes I feel like should have gone with the large for it's higher weight limit as sometimes my GF likes to sit on my lap in the chair and we watch youtube together lol - I worry about the mesh.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I hate cushioned arms as they seem to crack after a few years; I'm happy with solid arm rests.

Solid arm rest is also an ergonomic plus over cushioned.

+1 on the office chair. Second hand office stores are going to get you one at the specd budget.

I'm looking for a comfortable gaming chair tho I'm not a full-time gamer but my work requires about 12 to 14 hours of sitting and it really hurts my back.
serious suggestions are appreciated.

Change routine. Sitting too long can literally kill you. Slowly and painfully. And recovery is harder than prevention.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Solid arm rest is also an ergonomic plus over cushioned.
Why? As a blanket statement, I disagree.

Cushioned does not imply your arm sinks and gets wrapped up in 6 inches of confining padding. It just means your elbows don't get sore from sitting on a solid surface hours each day. It is the height of the armrests that determines if they will be ergonomically correct, or not. Not that they are solid versus padded or cushioned.

Also, cushioned does not imply the outer covering is made of "cheap" plastics that likely will crack over time. My "OfficeStar" chair is 20 years old and has upholstered and padded arm rests. No cracks. Not even much visible wear. And I sit in it 4 to 5+ hours every day.

Padded dashboards in cars typically take many many years in the sun before cracking occurs. How many office chairs sit in the sun?

I say when it comes to office chairs, you typically get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap Walmart special, you get a cheap chair that doesn't last. If "invest" in quality, you get quality that lasts.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Why? As a blanket statement, I disagree.

Cushioned does not imply your arm sinks and gets wrapped up in 6 inches of confining padding. It just means your elbows don't get sore from sitting on a solid surface hours each day. It is the height of the armrests that determines if they will be ergonomically correct, or not. Not that they are solid versus padded or cushioned.

Also, cushioned does not imply the outer covering is made of "cheap" plastics that likely will crack over time. My "OfficeStar" chair is 20 years old and has upholstered and padded arm rests. No cracks. Not even much visible wear. And I sit in it 4 to 5+ hours every day.

Padded dashboards in cars typically take many many years in the sun before cracking occurs. How many office chairs sit in the sun?

I say when it comes to office chairs, you typically get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap Walmart special, you get a cheap chair that doesn't last. If "invest" in quality, you get quality that lasts.

Well... the general guidelines for ergonomic workspace do not recommend cushioned armrests, but hard ones, with 3D adjustment options.

Comfort =/= better ergonomic standard.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I have brought several chairs over the years in the £150-300 price range from amazon, and all (except the current one so far) broke on me.

On the ones with plastic legs, they eventually snapped.

I had one where the screw holding the arm rest in place one day just clean snapped in half, the manufacturer sent me a replacement back (as that had to be chucked due to half of the screw stuck in the hole) and new screws, which I had to pay for, then the same happened again about half a year later.

On all chairs I have brought the extremely thin leather coating starts to wear off within a year, and if I sent you guys a picture of my almost 3 year old chair right now it will be an eye opener lol.

This chair has survived the longest out the lot, it took me hours to find a chair with all the following criteria.

Metal legs.
4 screws holding in the arms, two on seat, two on back. So single screws dont get overstressed and snap off.

At this price point I think they just cut too many corners, also the arm rests are rock hard, they designed to look like they padded, but seem to have a thin layer of covering over a hard material. Had that problem on every chair I have purchased.

My sister tells me the chairs in her office last years, but the ones they buy are £500 a pop. However they recently allowed staff to take some home, and my sister has one ready for me which she is bringing round after Christmas.

Its one of these. :) The company has higher models which cost over a grand.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Well... the general guidelines for ergonomic workspace do not recommend cushioned armrests
Oh? Sure would like to see those "general guidelines". Got a link?

And for sure, I do not agree that comfort and better ergonomics can't go hand-in-hand. In fact, poor ergonomics typically results in discomfort - often extreme pain and even injury often requiring surgery.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Oh? Sure would like to see those "general guidelines". Got a link?

And for sure, I do not agree that comfort and better ergonomics can't go hand-in-hand. In fact, poor ergonomics typically results in discomfort - often extreme pain and even injury often requiring surgery.

1640115290089.png

Note that elbows are supposed to be in a relaxed position. You're not supposed to be leaning on them, which a soft armrest promotes, and a hard one does not. You're supposed to carry your elbows with your shoulders. Of course, a thin padding over the armrest is fine. But actual thick padding like you have on comfort seating is certainly not.

Office chairs that conform to high end office standards are also rarely found with cushioning on armrests.

Take a look

Last edited: