1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sunbeam Tuniq Tower

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by t_ski, Jul 15, 2007.

1. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    The Sunbeam Tuniq tower is one of the largest heatsinks around, with a 120mm fan sandwiched between two rows of aluminum fins. The three U-shaped copper heatpipes carry away the heat from the copper base, and the included fan controller allows the user to dial in the fan speed and noise to their liking. The Tuniq Tower goes on the test bench to see what kind of performance this monster can give.

To read this review go to: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sunbeam/TuniqTower/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  2. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Very nice review t_ski. That cooler is absolutely amazing, though I wish it was uniform flat all the way across. Im not too comfortable with lapping and smoothing out a hsf myself.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    :toast: Thanks ;)

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you going to lap it? Those temps look a bit better than my lapped AC64pro.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I have no plans to lap it at the present time, but I might consider it in the future.

Derek at Sunbeam asked me to post some pictures of the LED version, since I received the original version for review. First, here's the link to the Tuniq Tower 120-LFB on the Sunbeam website:

http://www.tuniq.com.tw/Cooler Info/Tower-120LFB.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    sweet :).

Did u ask them about the concave base though? I find occasionally some coolers have minor defects (like... a VF900CU with... a cut in the base?)

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Man, that thing is GIANT, I'd like to see what it could do with a perfectly flat base.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. BadCommand New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good article, I personally have used 4 of these units for about 2-3 months now and have found them to be incredibly effective. All 4 of the units are doing C2D 6600's OC'd to a very stable 3600 @ 1.6v. All 4 temps stay constantly between a very acceptable 44-48C. 3 of units are on evga 680i's- and just barely clear the mcp fan/heat fins (the tuniqs fins literally sit right on top of the mcp fins!). On the 4th I have a asus p5b deluxe/wifi that has plenty of clearance. The thing is massively heavy and tall- with a bit of a scrape to get the side panel on the very large cases of all 4 units- the coolermaster stacker stc-t01. Though in fairness the tuniqs are not scraping the aluninum case side, but rather a built on to the case side panel cpu fan 80mm socket, which cannot easily be removed.

I did not find the wires to be an issue that a little zip tie couldn't handle. As a matter of fact the only issue that did come about- and a potentially serious one, is that I had 2 of the heads of the thumbscrews dislodge from the threaded shaft. And that occured with really no twisting or torquing on my part as I was simply tightening the thumbscrews with my fingers. However replacements were sent very quickly.

All and all, an amazing cooler.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, and welcome to TPU :toast:

10. BadCommand New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks and :toast: to you! Usually just :roll: thru different forums- have ref'd TPU for quite sometime- not much of a writer myself, but when I find gear that provides exceptional performance- I like to let others know :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    I have one of these sitting on top of my Phenom II x4 940BE

stabilitytest.jpg

12. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I think you just took the record for longest thread necro. This is the first I've seen one over 3 years. lol.

NdMk2o1o says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    woo hoo a record

but ya gotta admit for an older HSF it's doing pretty damn well to keep things cool

14. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    +1 :shadedshu