• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Superbugs from space to generate electricity

Bacteria normally found 30km above the earth have been identified as generators of electricity.

Ha!

Bacillus stratosphericus – a microbe commonly found in high concentrations in the stratosphere orbiting the earth with the satellites – is a key component of a new 'super' biofilm that has been engineered by a team of scientists from Newcastle University.

The electrical output of the MFC (Microbial Fuel Cell) from 105W per cubic metre to 200W per cubic metre. Not that much but still not too bad.

MFC which work in a similar way to a battery, use bacteria to convert organic compounds directly into electricity by a process known as bio-catalytic oxidation. A biofilm – or 'slime' – coats the carbon electrodes of the MFC and as the bacteria feed, they produce electrons which pass into the electrodes and generate electricity.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-superbugs-space-source-power.html

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
This is very interesting. And 200W per cubic metre is very impressive! Putting these into a modern house in the foundation/cellar while building could lead to easily 5kW output. Enough to power the house, if combined with a storage cell.

This is major if doable.

I wonder what "food" source is required, and also how "waste" is managed. Perhaps it can be combined with a septic tank. Rich source of food for the bacteria, with the benefit of more-degraded waste into the sewers. Benefits and eco all round.

Drone, if you are "subscribed" to this R&D, keep us posted!

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
and so the zombie apocalypse begins.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
I wonder what "food" source is required, and also how "waste" is managed. Perhaps it can be combined with a septic tank. Rich source of food for the bacteria, with the benefit of more-degraded waste into the sewers. Benefits and eco all round.

Drone, if you are "subscribed" to this R&D, keep us posted!

I wonder that too. They say generated electricity can be used in the waste water treatment. And that'd be awesome if bacteria itself could also degrade some junk. Then this combination could double the benefit. If not then they could just combine different bacteria. There are tons of bacteria, using them is not a bad idea lol.

I read Environmental Science and Technology news time after time that's why microbial fuel cells caught my attention. I'll post if I see anything new.

This time it's "cyborg" snail. LOL

First it was grapes, then cockroaches, and now snails have become the latest organism to generate electricity through an implanted biofuel cell. The process works similarly in all three situations: the electricity comes from a metabolic process involving the transfer of electrons from sugar (such as glucose) to oxygen. In the case of the snail, two electrodes from a biofuel cell are implanted into holes in the snail's shell, with the anode performing glucose oxidation and the cathode performing oxygen reduction. When the electrons flow between the electrodes, they produce an electric current.

The mechanism looks pretty simple

But whereas the grapes and cockroaches could generate electricity for just days or weeks, Evgeny Katz, a professor of chemistry at Clarkson University in Potsdam, New York, and colleagues have shown that the snail can generate electricity for many months at a time. And in spite of the electrodes in their shells, the snails live long, healthy lives.

Lol you can read more here:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-cyborg-snail-electricity.html

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
A great business opportunity.

I foresee that the U.S. Government will be willing to dump hundreds of millions, if not billions, of taxpayer dollars into a company that tries to develop this.

Of course, you need to be politically connected to the current administration, i.e. donor.

And, of course, the whole thing will fail, but someone could make a lot of money at the taxpayers expense.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
A great business opportunity.

I foresee that the U.S. Government will be willing to dump hundreds of millions, if not billions, of taxpayer dollars into a company that tries to develop this.

Of course, you need to be politically connected to the current administration, i.e. donor.

And, of course, the whole thing will fail, but someone could make a lot of money at the taxpayers expense.

thank you for that brilliant political observation. both this and your understanding of how research in general works have given a new hope to the human race.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
thank you for that brilliant political observation. both this and your understanding of how research in general works have given a new hope to the human race.

Not sure why my comment (not at all in seriousness) appears to have annoyed you...

System Name Folding System
Processor Intel 4770K Haswell
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Sniper
Cooling EK Clean CSQ WB + EK CoolStream RAD XTX 480 + EK GTX780Ti Full WB + Swiftech D5 Pump
Memory 4 x 4 GB DDR3 GSkill Ripjaws F3 17000 GBZL | 4 x 4GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
Video Card(s) 2 x Inno3D GTX 780Ti 3GB SLI
Storage 2x Patriot Pyro 240GB Raid 0 | 2x WD Green 3TB Raid 0 | 4x Seagate 4TB Raid 0
Display(s) Viewsonic LED VA1938wa 19" / 2 x Dell U2312HM 23" IPS Panel
Case Corsair 900D + 1 Aerocool 14cm Fan, 3 CM Fan 12cm, 4 Scythe Slim Fan 12cm, 4 Aerocool Shark 12cm
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Phoebus + Hippo cri head amp + Sennheiser HD 598 + Razer Megalodon
Power Supply Seasonic P1000 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia Osmium Mech Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
i remember an old Startrek TV episode, a renegade federation Captain using bacteria/ micro lifeform as power source to their Starship, one of the key question from that episode is it humanly ethical using another life form for self benefit specially when that life form refuse to be use as fuel and fight back with electrical shock.. :D

bump because .... Engineered Bacteria Make Fuel from Sunlight

Chemists at the University of California, Davis, have engineered blue-green algae to grow chemical precursors for fuels and plastics - the first step in replacing fossil fuels as raw materials for the chemical industry.

Gimme fuel gimme fire ... cyanobacteria FTW

Biological reactions are good at forming carbon-carbon bonds, using CO2 as a raw material for reactions powered by sunlight. It's called photosynthesis, and cyanobacteria, also known as "blue-green algae," have been doing it for more than 3 billion years.

Using cyanobacteria to grow chemicals has other advantages: they do not compete with food needs, like corn's role in the creation of ethanol.

That's interesting even if it's not practical

The researchers identified enzymes from online databases that carried out the reactions they were looking for, and then introduced the DNA for these enzymes into the cells. Working a step at a time, they built up a three-step pathway that allows the cyanobacteria to convert CO2 into 2,3 butanediol, a chemical that can be used to make paint, solvents, plastics and fuels.

After three weeks growth, the cyanobacteria yielded 2.4 grams of 2,3 butanediol per liter of growth medium.

ScienceDaily

Power-packed bacterial spores generate electricity

With mighty bursts of rehydration, bacterial spores offer a new source of renewable energy

By smearing spores onto a flat piece of rubber about the length of a human hand, scientists developed a spore-powered generator. In arid conditions, parched spores pull the rubber into a curve, while wafts of wet air plump up spores and spring it flat again.

The team linked the rubber to an electromagnetic generator, so that every flex produced an electric current. Since the spores tote such a high energy potential - more than 1000 times that of mammalian muscle - energy-harvesting devices based on the dormant dynamos could be linked into municipal grids to contribute a power boost to homes and cities.