• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SuperMicro Gearing for Launch of New Gaming-Grade Motherboards With PCIe Gen4 and DDR5 Wave

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
my workstation board has bmc, but aside from potential security risks, I failed to see it benefit much a home server, maybe you can enlighten me

I just like the ability to remote access to bios, and power controls. It's not something I'd use often, but nice to have if ever needed. I've used it alot in the past w/ my esxi server, but when things are up and running w/o issues, I can't say it is used much. But still awesome to have, IMO.

A very smart move to go PCIe Gen4 and DDR5. I have been, and will gladly keep waiting for both before I buy again. I think the market is and has been ready for next gen.

Last edited:
You'll have to wait a long time if you're waiting for both, DDR5 won't be coming for (retail) consumers probably till 2021 at the latest.

You'll have to wait a long time if you're waiting for both, DDR5 won't be coming for (retail) consumers probably till 2021 at the latest.

"You'll have to wait a long time"

2 years is a long time to you? THAT is laughable. Two years goes by seemingly like a blink of an eye. I am waiting until 2021, I am aware when DDR5 is planned to be in the market, THAT is the main reason why I am waiting, 2 years is NOT a long time off.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
DDR5... lol. And I'm still on DDR2 and DDR3 :)

Zen 2 is supposed to be launching in the middle of the year, and it's conceivable that part could support DDR5, but AMD has made it clear that the AM4 socket is supposed to be around through 2020, and historically AMD has always changed sockets for a new memory type, which strongly suggests no DDR5 support. From Intel's side it's anyone's guess as their roadmap is a mess right now with 10nm their priority above everything else, so I'd say it's unlikely that they'll offer DDR5 support this year either.

Actually, AMD had in the past CPUs with 2 memory controlers, which supported 2 sockets, so in theory they could still maintain AM4 compatibility with DDR4 support and enable AM5(AM4+) with DDR5 support on the same CPU.

See for example Athlon II:

Propus (45 nm SOI with immersion lithography)

Athlon II X4 630
Four AMD K10 cores chip harvested from Deneb with L3 cache disabled[6]
L1 cache: 64 kB + 64 kB (data + instructions) per core
L2 cache: 512 kB per core, full-speed
Memory controller: dual channel DDR2-1066 MHz (AM2+), dual channel DDR3-1333 (AM3) with unganging option
MMX, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a, AMD64, Cool'n'Quiet, NX bit, AMD-V
Socket AM3, HyperTransport with 2 GHz
Die Size: 169 mm² [7]
Power consumption (TDP): 45 Watts or 95 Watts
First release
September 2009 (Stepping C2)
Clock rate: 2.2–3.1 GHz

That being said, I think it is a bit too early for DDR5, although I'd really love to see some CPU which supports it.
I think DDR4 brings too little to the table, so personally I skipped platform upgrade, however DDR5 will for sure be different due to doubling of the data rate.

"You'll have to wait a long time"

2 years is a long time to you? THAT is laughable. Two years goes by seemingly like a blink of an eye. I am waiting until 2021, I am aware when DDR5 is planned to be in the market, THAT is the main reason why I am waiting, 2 years is NOT a long time off.
What is laughable is that you think DDR5 will be mainstream(?) by 2021 &/or affordable enough even if it introduced in the retail space & yeah 2 years is quite a lot of time. Who knows in that span HBM might become cheaper & feature in mainstream APUs or even CPUs making the move to DDR5 less attractive or obvious for many.
Actually, AMD had in the past CPUs with 2 memory controlers, which supported 2 sockets, so in theory they could still maintain AM4 compatibility with DDR4 support and enable AM5(AM4+) with DDR5 support on the same CPU.
Intel also did the same with Conroe IIRC.