• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Swapping Motherboard in Alienware Aurora ALX Chassis

Enceladus

Hey folks,

I've just installed an Asus Maximus V GENE into my Alienware Aurora ALX chassis but I'm a tad confused over the power and reset buttons on the case which won't function with the new board.
The system works fine when I power the machine on via the START button on the motherboard but I'm assuming that I've missed a connector somewhere from the case to the mainboard.

I'm assuming I need to make use of the Asus Q Connectior Panel in order to make the buttons on the case work, but I don't know where the front panel headers from the case are going to be amongst all of the packed and tidied cabling throughout the system.
Any thoughts on whether this is indeed the issue or whether there's another solution other than tearing the case apart to find the appropriate connectors for the Q Panel?

I really don't wanna have to take the side off my case every time I want to power up the system.

Cheers.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Maybe try sending our user here Kiex a PM. I seem to recall him doing an ALienware mod. Not sure if he swapped the board out, but I think so.

I think Dell uses a custom control board for the front panel, that's what's causing your issues.

ueutyi

System Name Tenku Pailok
Processor Intel Core i7 3820
Motherboard Asus P9 X79 PRO
Cooling Corsair H55 with 2 additional fans
Memory 8GB ADATA DDR3
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 7970 MSI
Storage A WD Caviar Green 1TB 5400rpm
Power Supply Corsair AX750+Coolermaster 700W
Benchmark Scores X3682 - 3DMark 11
Asus:
Pled 3 4 5 6 speaker