• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

Synology DS207

Tau

Synology's latest DS207 NAS device offers enterprise grade backup capabilities with up to 2 TB of storage at an affordable price. Being able to configure RAID 0/1 and automatic backups is great for your data protection. What makes the unit more interesting for home users is that you can download files via BitTorrent without your PC being on or you can setup your own Gigabit file, web and MySQL server in just a few clicks.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

Jandar

Nice review, but this Synology box also forgot what the DS106 forgot, they forgot to include NFS. Its not all Windows out there, there are also a few Unix people who think this box could be an addition to their services.
We ourselfs got two boxes in a multivendor Heterogeneous environment (aka a mix of vendors in a Windows/unix environment), for unix we can only use the ftp option, for our linux boxes we use Samba but a native NFS client would be preferable. I hope that the people at Synology will think of the unix community and include a NFS client in their next firmware release....

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Core i7-4790K
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 7
Nice review, but this Synology box also forgot what the DS106 forgot, they forgot to include NFS. Its not all Windows out there, there are also a few Unix people who think this box could be an addition to their services.
We ourselfs got two boxes in a multivendor Heterogeneous environment (aka a mix of vendors in a Windows/unix environment), for unix we can only use the ftp option, for our linux boxes we use Samba but a native NFS client would be preferable. I hope that the people at Synology will think of the unix community and include a NFS client in their next firmware release....
i assume you mean nfs server?

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Boddha Getta Boddha Getta Bah!
Processor AMD FX 6100 @ 4.432Ghz @1.382
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X AMD SB950
Cooling Custom Water. EK 240MM Kit, Supreme HSF - Runs 35C
Memory 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance White LP @ 1.35V
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 6870 980/1100
Storage WD Caviar Black 1.0TB, WD Caviar Green 1.0TB, WD 160GB
Display(s) Asus VH222/S 22: (21.5" Viewable) 1920x1080p HDMI LCD Monitor
Case NZXT White Switch 810
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 5.1
Power Supply NZXT Hale 90 Gold Cert 750W Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Profession 64 Bit
Nice Work Tau. Agreed I have never heard of Synology before. I thought this was gonna be like Symbology or something :)

eagledj

I purchased a DS-207 in late June 2007. The unit seemed to work OK for about 3 weeks, when it began locking up, requiring a complete power off to restart. After restart, the unit would function for a number of hours, less if moving large files. On Aug 1 2007 I contacted Synology about the problem, and I've had numerous emails back and forth with them. They finally admitted on Aug 14 there is a problem with the unit. Unfortunately they don't seem to want to send me a replacement. Now, they are suggesting that they might be able to fix the problem with a software update, but that "might" be available in 1 or 2 weeks. I'm beginning to think the 1 year warranty is useless.
If I had to do it again, I would go looking for a product from another manufacturer.