• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Synology RackStation RS816 4-Bay NAS

The RackStation RS816 is a rackmount NAS for small business environments in need of a capable and highly energy efficient file server. It features four drive slots packed into a 19" rack 1U height enclosure. This Synology NAS is powered by an energy efficient Marvell ARM processor.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz CL16 1.35V
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT Gaming X 8G
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB + Samsung 870 EVO 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG24C
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX-550
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K60
70660s to rebuild a RAID 1! DAMN SON. 19 hours!! That's 17.5 hours slower then the previous slowest but luckily it only took 55s to sync it all while the previous fastest needed over an hour. That's more than 60 times faster (page 16).

What's there secret to sync so fast!111!1!

Also the QNAP TBS-453A felt like he needed special attention on the Power Consumption Comparison Graph with ErP Off (page 15).

The CPU is already maxed with 4 drives and 6 clients while it supports 8 drives with the expansion slot... Makes me wonder how the performance would be like with said 8 drives and ~10 clients.

Overall seems a little pricey for the performance.

Great review

Processor Intel Core i9-13900K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI
Cooling Custom water
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6400 CL32
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 4090
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL (Dark Tint)
Power Supply SAMA XP1000W
Mouse DAREU EM901
Keyboard RK ROYAL KLUDGE RK100 (white with blue switches)
My advise to anyone looking at a NAS, just build it yourself. A LGA 775/771 build would be plentiful for a file/Plex server. Just install NAS4Free or FreeNAS, both which are free. The HDDs will be the biggest cost of the equation but that is understandable.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
My advise to anyone looking at a NAS, just build it yourself. A LGA 775/771 build would be plentiful for a file/Plex server. Just install NAS4Free or FreeNAS, both which are free. The HDDs will be the biggest cost of the equation but that is understandable.
Actually, the stuff I haven't figured out when building a storage solution is disk sourcing. If I build a NAS today with 3TB drives, if one disk fails three years from now, I'm going to need another (identical?) 3TB disk. And by then, even if I can still find the same model (doubtful), the sweetspot will have already moved towards higher capacities.
How do you guys replace your drives? Because if I figure this out, I may seriously start looking again into moving everything mechanical in a dedicated chassis.

System Name Blackbird
Processor AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-core
Motherboard Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
Cooling Full custom-loop water cooling, mostly Aqua Computer and EKWB stuff!
Memory 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident-Z RGB @3733-CL14
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung 950PRO 512GB, Crusial P5 2TB, Samsung 850PRO 1TB
Display(s) LG 38GN950-B 38" IPS TFT, Dell U3011 30" IPS TFT
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Audio Device(s) Edifier S1000DB
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor 1200W (SeaSonic)
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M800
Software MS Windows 10 Pro for Workstation
Benchmark Scores A lot.
Actually, the stuff I haven't figured out when building a storage solution is disk sourcing. If I build a NAS today with 3TB drives, if one disk fails three years from now, I'm going to need another (identical?) 3TB disk. And by then, even if I can still find the same model (doubtful), the sweetspot will have already moved towards higher capacities.
How do you guys replace your drives? Because if I figure this out, I may seriously start looking again into moving everything mechanical in a dedicated chassis.

Depends on your NAS build I guess.
If you use a hardware RAID controller, then using the exact same model of you hard disk is probably a good idea. If you use something like FreeNAS and configure your arrays with ZFS, then the choice of the particular hard disk model is not so restrictive.

If you expect to change hard disks regularly or plan to expand your array, then a mirrored vdev is probably the best choice. For dual-mirrors, you only need to add 2 disks of the same size (preferably the same model too) to expand the array. Replacing disks in the pool is also easy, just replace one disk with another of at least the same size. If you have replaced all disks in one vdev to ones with larger sizes, then you can even expand that vdev to its full size making you pool grow in size as well. Very nice feature.
All you have to give for that is ~50% space efficiency.

Reactions: bug
Something went really wrong with the raid rebuilt/sync graphs (most likely an excel localisation problem). The table is correct.

(update: all corresponding graphs have been updated)

Last edited: