• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SysInternals software users: Updates, & new site @ Microsoft Technet 4 them

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
See my subject-line/title for this thread above, & this URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

:)

* If you use their softwares & find them useful? You may wish to spend some time downloading their programs again...

(Many have been updated since they were purchased by Microsoft, so have @ the updated tools! I wouldn't say most have had "major" upgrades done to them, maybe only putting the MS name into them in some cases only, but nevertheless, they've been updated!)

* PLUS, A "new program" from them is out now, called "Process Monitor"...

(This new one does the job of BOTH regmon & filemon is in them now, & it's probably one you will wish to have instead of those 2 from which it is derived!)

APK

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Read this on tweakguides the other day but didn't realise the software was actually any different, just that it was bundled for M$ now... I'll have to take a look.

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Read this on tweakguides the other day but didn't realise the software was actually any different, just that it was bundled for M$ now...

I mention that myself above, that some may ONLY have new "Microsoft" TM's & such applied & only bear "point release" model updates...

Still, there are new models too, such as the "Process Monitor" (combines the functions of regmon & filemon into 1 app now).

I'll have to take a look.

DO THAT! I say that, because some MAY be more than "embedding MS trademarks" into them...

Example of 1 I KNOW needed an update to get it "right/perfect", or @ least it used to, because I found a "hardcode" in it a few years ago... one hardcode was corrected, the other 3 not though last time I checked!

The program in question?

Pagedefrag.exe, it needed an update last time I checked!

I helped Dr. Russinovich make 1 alteration to it back @ the end of 2002, pointing out to him that folks move their pagefile.sys to 2nd HDD's (other than C:\ base system drive) to gain performance...

He concluded it was a GOOD move that my advice was about, & fixed that per my request & noting to him WHY it needed doing, & where in his code + what "NtNativeAPI" calls would be needed/used for this, since the program partially operates in that mode (prior to Windows bootup, like ExecutiveSoftware &/or Raxco PerfectDisk BootTime defraggers work & when).

BUT, the same principal exists for the EventLogs as well, simply because they ARE 'moveable' also, just like pagefile.sys locations are, albeit via manual registry hacking (no GUI for it afaik)!

You can do that right here in the registry in their FILE entry data area (once you get to these paths in the left-hand side pane of regedit.exe, look @ the FILE value in the right-hand side pane):

========================

SYSTEM EVENTLOG:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System

-------------------------------

APPLICATION EVENTLOG:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application

-------------------------------

SECURITY EVENTLOG:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Security

========================

* I'm (for instance/example) a person that moves those to my solid-state disk here (also for speed of seek/access to them), so they don't frag themselves or other files around them on disk, & also so that my C:\ main OS & programs disk so it is NOT 'burdened' by read/writes to those log files...

Same idea as moving your pagefile.sys!

APK

P.S.=> I wonder if he fixed that in that particular program, or not... it does need doing, the removal of hardcodes to the EVENTLOGS (3 of the default ones in SYSTEM, APPLICATION, & SECURITY ones, but also others that ARE POSSIBLE, such as when you add serverclass wares to NT-based OS' like DNS etc. which also may form logs in the EventViewer) in its code.

(Again: For EXACTLY the same reasons he fixed it up before per my advice, regarding pagefile.sys placement identification NOT being "hardcoded" into that app also)... apk

Last edited:

Alec§taar

^
|

"up, Up, UP!!!"

:)

* For interested users of this software...

APK

S

Slater

I couldnt believe it when they were taken by Microsoft.

I'm afraid of using some of thoseprograms now...

Like the SDelete, can I really trust is securely deletes files? Maybe it sends them to Microsoft....

Know aht I'm saying?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Man that's to bad they have been Assimilated ... use Winternals Adminstrator alot.. I hope they continue to provide some of the tools as they have always been available for DL and not rolled up into Resource kits ... :slap: thanks for the update Alex :)

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Well M$ have kept them free for now so get them while you can.