• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System regularly hangs?

jefe9

I have just completed a first self-build.

Used an existing mid-tower case, replaced old motherboard and CPU with microATX ASUS and intel i3 processor. Installed Ubuntu ... and it all works .. for hours (sometimes )

BUT ... it frequently and regularly hangs, for no discernible reason. ( I been a C++ programmer for 20 years so i know my way around the software side of things )

I suspect that the CPU or motherboard may be overheating ( but the reported temperatures in BIOS are circa 25 degrees C, and 29 degrees C respectively. which must surely be ok.

Is there any further way to diagnose temperatures (other than BIOS at bootup )? How can i tell if temperature sensors are faulty?

This repeated freezing / hanging of the system happens often, maybe 10 times in a day; other times I get a clear hour on system running with no problems.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Jefe

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Try Lm-sensors. Once you have temps on display, run a stress test such as stresslinux, you'll quickly know if it's a temp problem. Also could be a bad RAM module; had one of those a while back causing random reboots on a brand new Intel i5-2500K system I built for my cousin. Found it by booting system with one stick at a time; ran perfect on the good one, wouldn't boot with just the bad one, so it was an easy diagnosis. Also, if you are using the old power supply, I'd replace it with a good brand like Seasonic or Corsair, an old OEM power supply is usually junk to start with and gets worse with age.

Last edited: