1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Taking my 8600GT way further than I ever thought it could go.

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by DirectorC, Feb 4, 2010.

1. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess having a more kickass system that can deliver more power to the video card definitely helps its chances at being stable at high clocks. So does setting up a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner so it stays much cooler than the default setting lets it go. Before I swore this card was an awful overclocker, but this is what new stability testing has proven to work solid stable so far.

[​IMG]

Note that the RAM is awful and if I turn it up a few MHz more it begins to artifact after not long. However, with just these clock/shader OCs I get about 25% whopping more FPS. My minimum FPS in COD4 went from 14 with a slight OC to 19 with this OC. Not too shabby and MUCH more playable.

2. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    GOOD WORK SIR :D

Now crank it upto 725mhz core :D

(sorry, im just not happy unless its maxed lol)

3. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL I'm trying man. Right now I'm working out how much of the artifacting was the RAM's fault and how much was the cooling's fault. So far I CAN play COD4 at 735/1615 which is as high as Afterburner will let me take it, but it was artifacting so I brought everything down and turned up the fan speed. Now I have to try inching everything back up a notch until I see where it really just can't go any further. Not going to be voltage modding though, I'm not crazy enough.

4. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    yeah, i havnt been game to volt mod my gtx260 yet :( max's out at 712 core...) only coz i cant replace it atm.

grab a couple fans and incress airflow around ur gpu if u really want to push it.

i shall post pics of my setup if u want.

5. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do want to see pics of your setup! Bring it.

And I actually have one of these on the way :D which is what led to this decision to torture test the old 8600 :toast:

6. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    ok,
    i have a total of 12 fans installed,

2 up the top ... front one intake, back is exhast, + psu exhast.

3 on the front as intake.

then the fans that you can see,

One pointed (middle blue fan) at the ram/cpu/vrm area.. taking air from the front fans pointed at it and some from outside ( has mesh on case side to allow air to pass.)

the orange fan at the back as exhast, one blue fan directly below that under the video card also as exhast that you cant see in the picture.

2 intake fans laying on the bottem of the case drawing air in thru the holes in the bottem of the case, also there is a 18cm HIGH POWER AC fan under neath the case for those really hot days but its not usualy connected as its extreamly loud... etleast 60 - 70 DB :p

and finaly the 200mm fan next to the video card (back left fan) as exhast blowing thru the mesh outside.

i made my case table out of 6 milk crates and some black plastic crap... contains a PSU + underglow lights, and next to my case is a small Fridge on its side with a modded peltier cooling it.

EDIT, not sure why my pic isnt working.. give me a minute to fix it...
    that al do, least u can see it now.

http://www.techpowerup.org/uploaded.php?file=100204/P04-02-10_19.54.jpg

also, yes i did pull all the fans out of my old antec 1200 and add them into this case :p

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  7. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Daaaamn. Now that's what I can cooling! Well the RAM was not the problem as I had thought. The cores were probably just running too hot. So RAM passed 733 testing and is now going through 750 testing.

8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    what program do you use to check to see if the card is stable?

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my final overclock:

[​IMG]

Test run of Crysis @ 1440x960, everything high except for postprocessing, particles, shadows, and objects on medium, with 2x AA:

Original clocks:

Run #1- DX10 1400x960 AA=2x, 32 bit test, Quality: Custom ~~ Last Average FPS: 11.86

Above OC:

Run #1- DX10 1400x960 AA=2x, 32 bit test, Quality: Custom ~~ Overall Average FPS: 14.65

30% FPS gain!!! :laugh:

10. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I start with Furmark and then I play COD4 for a half hour, or like 45+ minutes actually, by then it will crash if it's gonna. Lately I've been running Crysis benchies as you can see above. Crashed with 700MHz on the core after just a few minutes. Still 695 for a product that originally shipped at 550 MHz stock is very respectable. This BFG can do a lot more than I ever thought.

11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    OK i got a 21K on my 3dmark06 but i overclocked the video card using riva tuner and now i get 10K? why the cut in half?

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    You overclocked way too much and the card actually started underperforming. Probably tried too high on the memory. Go for core and shaders first, take the core as far as it goes, then take the shaders as far as they go, and then finish by testing RAM in 25-33MHz increases.

13. RX-7

RX-7

Thanks Received:
    I had two 8600GTs in sli and they would go to 750 core with no voltage at all

14. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Jeez that gives me fond memories of my 8600gt, it was OC at 8600gts's levels, nice card, served me well. I might try OC it though, just to see where it'll go.

15. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice!

16. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    This is about as far as I got before pencil modding for more vcore, at that point I'm fairly sure I hit 900/2000 but I have no screen shots after pencil modding.

[​IMG]