• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TankianDesk

tankian

Hi everyone, I tought alot about doing this build for case mod world series competion, but well why not?
Another year another try... ahaha

So since my last mod didnt receive the "shares" I wanted from the brands (HAF in HALF) that supported the build, I wanna move foward to this one and make something unique and possible for everyone, thats something I always try to pass for those who see my content, everyone can do this you just gotta plan everything well enough to avoid major problems.
Why a desk? Well I dont like big cases and since "setups" are starting to be a trend I wanna remake my own so nothing better than make a new desk with a PC built in.

So key words are:
- Confort
- Performance (air flow/temperatures)
- Simplicity

Well still need to edit all the content about it, but for now this is what I have to show

Best Regards Tankian

tankian

Hi everyone!
Well I just realese a video yesterday about the project and I have more photos to show you. Basicly I've already than a lot in the "wood" working and I'm quite happy with the result I was expecting a bit more dificulties in this part. Right now I'm waiting for the metal plate to get ready to continue the project.

Video:

Best Regards tankian!

System Name My Rig | Kids Rig
Processor Core i5 3570K @ 4.0 ghz 1.15 vcore | FX 8350 @4 ghz
Motherboard EVGA Z77 FTW 1.21 BIOS |Gigabyte 990FXA UDH (rev 4.0)
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO R2-push/pull with 2x 120mm PWM | CM Hyper 212
Memory Mushkin Blackline 4GB x 2 1600mhz XMP profile |G. Skill 4GB x 2 DDR3 1866mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 480 8gb | Asus Strix R9 390X 8GB
Storage Kingston SSDNOW V300 120/240 GB OS & Games / 1000 GB Data | 320GB OS / 500GB Data & Games
Display(s) Asus VA32AQ 32" IPS 60hz 1440P |Samsung S24D590 24" PLS 1080P
Case NZXT 810 Switch |Thermaltake Soprano Snow Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DSX w/ Logitech z623 | Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold | CoolerMaster GS750M 80+ Bronze
Mouse Razer Diamondback Chroma | Tt Level 10M
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma w/ meka-membrane keys | MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E. TE w/ Kailh brown
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Thanks to Norton/Lt_JWS/Guitar for the 2nd pc parts :)
subbed :)

infrared

Staff member
System Name Raisin
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X 4.15GHz @ 1.44V (or 4.0 @ 1.33V for WCG)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VI Hero <3
Cooling 2x 240mm rads, Corsair ML fans, EKWB pump/res and GPU block. XSPC Raystorm pro CPU block
Memory G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-4266 16GB @ 3466-3600MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W. 2088mhz
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB + Corsair 120GB ssd (linux) + WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 165hz 1440P
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint 18.3
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Looking forward to see another build take shape ;) cheers tankian!
Happy easter!

System Name Wut?
Processor 4770K @ Stock
Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Cooling Water
Memory 16GB DDR3 2400
Video Card(s) EVGA 980 SC
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Display(s) 2 x 1920x1080
Case Thermaltake T81
Power Supply Seasonic 750 Watt Gold (was planning 290X CFX, never happened)
Excited to see how this turns out. I have been preparing to do the same thing but something always keeps getting in the way.

Good luck on your journey!

tankian

you have a huge workshop area, so jealous

Do you do this for clients?
Its quite big must admit, my father is a constructor I kinda benefit from that eheh

Right now I'm doing this one as a prototype if everything goes as plan I wanna make this possible to reproduce if someone want it :)

Processor i7 8700k 4.8Ghz @ 1.31v
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X @ 2100/5500
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Eizo Foris FG2421
Case Fractal Design Define C TG
Power Supply EVGA G2 750w
Mouse Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum
Keyboard Sharkoon MK80 (Brown)
Software W10 x64
I have to say its really enjoyable watching you on video. You seem to have some talent for that as well as constructing awesome stuff. You really convey the enthusiasm

tankian

I have to say its really enjoyable watching you on video. You seem to have some talent for that as well as constructing awesome stuff. You really convey the enthusiasm
Well I dont know what to say eheh
Glad to see that you like it, making the videos is another thing I like to do, being able to combine both things is even better!

Thanks!!!

tankian

Hi everyone!

As I promise big update today, work myself hard these Saturday to place everything together, IM EXCITED!

So I started with the fake bottom, making all the holes for cable routing/management. I don't want to attach the "fake bottom" in "bented" plate mostly because if I decide to redo anything in the future I will be able to remove it.
As you guys saw I did all the motherboard standoffs holes with a old motherboard only to be easier and more accurate, It ended up really well!
The fans was a bit disappointing I wanted to use a big drill to open a 110mm circle for each fan, but after waiting 1 week for that drill the store told me that I need to wait 3/4 mouths because they doesn't had stock available, so I decided to go with the octagon style.
After doing all of these, big moment, atatch everything together, I was a bit afraid with the plate that stay in the top back, mostly because it will be use to secure the monitor holder, but after screw it against the metal it got really strong, so problem solved!
The two wooden bars that I use in the back are basicly to pass cables between the wall and the wood plank in the back, creating 50mm of space between the desk and the wall for the air that comes from the out-take fans go away.

Well lets move on to the photos and video! :rockout:

Video:

Photos:

When the plate arrived

Cutting holes for cable routing in the "fake bottom" plate

Motherboard standoffs holes done.

Fans Holes

First Idea with the fans then I decided to go for 2 in each side and 2 in the middle

Power Supply back hole

Motherboard shield hole

GPU hole, with the 1080 ti testing is future home ahaha

Current state photos, here you can see the wooden bars in the back giving me the extra 5cm for cables and air flow

And last the guy trying to make a pc desk xD

Well I hope everyone like it!

Best Regards Tankian!

Last edited:

tankian

Hi everyone!
Well after 3 week I have news about the project, I manage to sand all the wood and metal pieces to apply the primer and even make some "upgrades" to the project concept.

So first I had to apply all the polyester in the areas needed, I even had to apply it more thant one time in the same place, something I expect but took me a bit more time to set everything ready to primer the desk.
After aplying it in some areas I decide to make a rim all arround the top area to give a bit more resistance to the desk and provide a better surface for the glass, at the same time providing a trim all around the center "hole" to place some LED if needed.
Then was time to apply once again polyester in some areas to make everthing look better.
After sanding and applying the primer I realise something was a bit miss align in for the glass so before painting and get mad about the miss align thing yesterday I decide to correct it, I applied again primer to the front section and order the glass!

Before jumping into the video and photos I wanna say that I'm doing some livestreams about this project in twtich:

Let see how thing went!

VIDEO:

PHOTOS:

Subwoofer Stand

Polyester and sanding

Water Cooling "ideas"

Primer applied

Small correction I did

So any thoughts about it?

Next phase is basicly make small holes for any cable I need to pass to the back of the case and starting to sand again for painting!
Anyways there is still a lot to do but with time and patience thing will ne finish!

Best Regards tankian!

Last edited:

tankian

Hi everyone another update!

So I manage to paint the desk, even painted 2 times, in the first time the coulor was to dark so I had to paint the desk again. After painting the outside I used black matte spray for the inside.
Then I moved to the legs, I dont know if some of you spot the idea in the beginning when I did the legs but I always wanted to make it like this, so you kinda have the computer connected to the desk (even more).

Didnt had time for more mostly because I had my first modding workshop, and if I believe the first in portugal so it took me a lot of time to set everything for that workshop.

Some photos about the workshop :)

Anyways lets move to the videos and photos!

Video:

Photos:

Desk first paint work (didnt took photos from the 2nd paint work):

Leg lights:

Some standoff I decide to buy:

Honestly I didnt took that much photos, so defenetly I recomend you to see the video to see how everything was done.
Still have a lot of work to do but with time things will be done I'm 100% commited to this project!

If you wanna keep it touch with the desk you guys can follow my twitch channel I've been doing some live streams about it. :)

twitch.com/tankias

Best Regards

System Name AMD Black Widow
Processor AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-780T-D3L (rev. 4.0)
Cooling Cooler master hyper 212 EVO
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 2x4GB 1600MHz KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC GDDR5 Twin Frozr 3
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB SSD
Display(s) LG W2453SQ-PF
Case MS Cyclops IV
Power Supply LC Power LC600H-12 600 W
Software Windows 10 64bit
It looks awesome. But why did you make the white plexy that covers the Led strips from 3 separate pieces, and not just use a single plexy and bend it to shape?

tankian

It looks awesome. But why did you make the white plexy that covers the Led strips from 3 separate pieces, and not just use a single plexy and bend it to shape?
Thanks!

That was my first try with a hairdryer and didnt work very well lol
And I dont have a heatgun so there's that :/