• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TCL 55S405 TJAA 4k TV Question (Replacing the T-CON board)

B_Styles27

Hello All,

I'm looking to replace the T-Con board of my TCL 55S405 TJAA 4k TV, however for the life of me I'm unable to locate that particular board within the back enclosure of the TV. Per the manufacture, a replacement T-Con board for this specific model can be purchased directly from their parts supplier - which can be found using the link below.

https://encompass.com/item/12426862/TCL/4T-TCN550-CS27/
55s405 tcon.PNG

As you can see in the image below of a similar model 55" TCL TV, the T-Con board should be located between the TV's power supply and main board, and connects to the main board via the L-shaped black ribbon cable that runs along the center of the TV.

TCON.png

When looking within the back enclosure of my TV, I cannot seem to find any such component\board that matches the size\layout of the T-Con board shown in the images above. As you can see below, the black ribbon cable within my TV instead connects to a thin board that runs horizontally along the bottom of the TV - which to my eyes does not resemble the replacement board recommended to me by the manufacturer for this particular model TV (I provided them with my TV's serial number when inquiring about the part). I'm not sure if the TCL 55S405 TJAA model has a different hardware configuration when compared to other 55" TCL TV's of the same series, as it is to my understanding the 55S405 has a TMAA model (55S405 TMAA), and possibly a few others following the 55S405 naming convention. I am more than willing to install the replacement T-Con board myself, however I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right part before making the purchase. If I am simply overlooking the TV's T-Con board, please don't hesitate to call me out. Otherwise, and guidance\insight in helping me locate the T-Con board in question will be greatly appreciated.

TCL 55S405TJAA.jpg

closeup.png

Thanks in advance!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Clearly it's not the board they linked for you.
Check the part in your system for a part number as that strip along the base appears to be it.

System Name K9
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz and 32deg C - delid + Grizzly Conductonaught LM
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Custom water cooling loop - GPU + mobo (+VRM's) + CPU
Memory G Skill - Trident Z RGB DDR4 - 3866Mhz x 32Gb @ 3800Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 11Gb GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Extreme @ 2250Mhz
Storage Samsung 500Gb M2 970 EVO + Samsung 850 Pro SSD + ADATA 512Gb SSD + Samsung 1Tb & 3T + WD 1Tb + 3Tb
Display(s) ASUS 27" ROG Swift 1440p @ 165Hz & BenQ 27" LED
Case Thermaltake Core P7 - Open frame
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z906 - 5.1ch
Power Supply EVGA 1200W
Mouse Roccat LeadR + Razer Nagar V2 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX with Cherry Red switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores v/fast
Check the part in your system for a part number as that strip along the base appears to be it.
It appears that it's either a different model or they redesigned the board in your model.

Good luck.

B_Styles27

Thanks for the suggestion. After not finding the T-Con board in my system, I also began to consider it may be the strip you mentioned that runs along the base of the TV. I noticed in other 55" TLC TV's (such as the one posted in the first screenshot) the T- Con board generally connects to the base strip(s) via the two ribbon cables located at the bottom of the board - one for the horizontal strip on the left side and one for the right, which are both hidden behind a metal covering. Because of that speculation, I ended up removing both metal coverings from my TV to get a closer look at the strips (see below), but couldn't confirm if the one on the left is actually the T-Con board. I called the parts supplier and provided them with the character string shown on the left strip (below the barcode), but they weren't able to identify the part and again explained the part I need is the T-Con board found via the link I posted initially. I explained to them I'm not seeing a component\board within the TV that matches their replacement boards, but they insisted it is the only board of that nature for this particular model TV (based off the serial number).

20200909_122848 (002).jpg

20200909_123125 (002).jpg

While speaking with the parts supplier, I also inquired about a diagram for the 55S405, and they explained they do not have them on hand (???) and pointed me towards the internet. I was able to find a site that has service manuals\circuit diagrams for TCL TV's, but none of them appear to be for the 55S405. I also looked for the model number of the chassis within the back enclosure of the TV, but wasn't able to find any numbers that match the models listed on the service manuals website (link below).

https://www.smarttvmanuals.net/tcl/

I also found others on the internet that are experiencing the same issue (see link below) with their TCL 55S405 as I am with mine; which is a black screen with a faint image of the onscreen display when the TV is powered on, and majority of the solutions I've seen for said issue point towards replacing the T-Con board. What I find extremely odd is that all other owners I've seen with this model TV have an easily identifiable T-Con board mounted smack in the middle of the TV (between the power supply and main board), which truly leaves me baffled.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=927835

Additionally, I did some light Googling to determine if the TJAA model possibly has a combo board that serves as both a T-Con and main board, but couldn't find anything useful in my searches. Perhaps as @Fangio1951 suggested, there was a redesign of this particular model 55S405 that differs from the majority?? If that is the case, perhaps someone just forgot to leave a memo before these things went into production???

I know I have ventured pretty far down the rabbit hole chasing this rogue part - but I just thought it would be nice to salvage this TV (as opposed to throwing it away) since it's less than 2 years old, and would only cost me a couple bucks and a few minutes of my time to perform what seemed to be a fairly simple repair...but boy, have I been wrong thus far.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Sounds more like the backlight has failed if you have a black screen and the image can be barely seen.

B_Styles27

Sounds more like the backlight has failed if you have a black screen and the image can be barely seen.

I was really hoping that wasn't the case, which is why I wanted to at least rule out the T-Con as the culprit. I'll look out for that the next time I open up the TV. Thanks!

Cdthompso1

Did you find the right part for your 55S405? I have the exact layout inside mine, however my model is identified as TKAA, not TJAA. Black screen with sound leads to the conclusion the the t con board should be replaced but no Google searches can find it. Your post here has given me hope. (FWIW, my model was purchased at Target in winter 2018.)

TCL online support provided 4T-TCN550-CS18

renault

Greetings OP. I ran into this same issue (not buying tcl anymore..) from a secondhand 55S403 TCAA model. I bought a board replacement kit for this model on shopjimmy.com (, and the replacement boards match OPs diagram. I have currently investigated the model in the back of my tv and found the ST5461D07-1-C-D Id which can be found online with a quick Google search. I am currently waiting for this part to arrive (18$ currently at https://www.shopjimmy.com/tcl-element-34-29110-052-st5461d07-1-c-d-t-con-board/) and can post if the new tcon will address the quick fade to black issue we are experiencing.

I have a suspicion that TCL made some deliveries of this model that are not to spec. That ...or someone modified/refurbished the TVs when they were supposed to be new.

[Edit]OPs original model has what the site claims to be a replacement board set (https://www.shopjimmy.com/tcl-55s405-service-no-55s405tkaa-55s405leaa-complete-tv-repair-parts-kit/) and I see no T CON replacement in it either.

Attachments

• PXL_20210417_015533726.jpg
    PXL_20210417_015533726.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 289

ASK65

Chiming in…To B_Styles 27 and Renault - What was the outcome? I have the same configuration and boards as B_Styles27 and was about to order the part with the 2 boards from shopjimmy. Was wondering. If anyone has been successful? Are the main board and t con board combined on the 55S405TKAA?

Appreciate any updates

System Name The Blind Grim Reaper
Processor Xeon X5675 Westmere-EP B1 SLBYL 4.20ghz @ 1.256v
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Noctua CP12 SE14, Redux Noctua 1500rpm fan Arctic F14 x3 for intake and exhaust
Memory Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 x6
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Single Fan Model
Storage Crucial mx300 750gb main system + 1TB mx500 for games and music
Display(s) 22 inch samsung curved
Case NZXT Phantom 530 black
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI through HDMI adaptor for output sound for turtlebeach x12 headset
Power Supply Antec HCG 850 watt
Mouse no brand
Keyboard normal usb keyboard
Software Windows 10 22H2 v1 (main is) and Windows 11 22H2 v2 on WD 250gb 7200rpm (testing purposes os)
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 = 2046cb
Hello All,

I'm looking to replace the T-Con board of my TCL 55S405 TJAA 4k TV, however for the life of me I'm unable to locate that particular board within the back enclosure of the TV. Per the manufacture, a replacement T-Con board for this specific model can be purchased directly from their parts supplier - which can be found using the link below.

https://encompass.com/item/12426862/TCL/4T-TCN550-CS27/
View attachment 168058

As you can see in the image below of a similar model 55" TCL TV, the T-Con board should be located between the TV's power supply and main board, and connects to the main board via the L-shaped black ribbon cable that runs along the center of the TV.

View attachment 168050

When looking within the back enclosure of my TV, I cannot seem to find any such component\board that matches the size\layout of the T-Con board shown in the images above. As you can see below, the black ribbon cable within my TV instead connects to a thin board that runs horizontally along the bottom of the TV - which to my eyes does not resemble the replacement board recommended to me by the manufacturer for this particular model TV (I provided them with my TV's serial number when inquiring about the part). I'm not sure if the TCL 55S405 TJAA model has a different hardware configuration when compared to other 55" TCL TV's of the same series, as it is to my understanding the 55S405 has a TMAA model (55S405 TMAA), and possibly a few others following the 55S405 naming convention. I am more than willing to install the replacement T-Con board myself, however I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right part before making the purchase. If I am simply overlooking the TV's T-Con board, please don't hesitate to call me out. Otherwise, and guidance\insight in helping me locate the T-Con board in question will be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 168054
View attachment 168056

Thanks in advance!
What was the symptoms that the tv was having? The last picture is the t-con is the the long pcb that connected directly to the screen only problem with that is the ribbon cables is soldered or glued in to the pcb can come loose over time due to heating and cooling cycle. Since there is usually two ic chips is on the pcb as one controls the left side of the screen and the other controls the right side of the screen. Some time one of the ic chips gets hot resulting the image to go missing, distorted or have rainbow effects is a sign of a failed ic chip might be difficult to find a replacement. Therefore these type of tv with the long pcb t-con generally goes into the bin as some repair shops won't bother fixing it