• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp is Hiring Motherboard and Memory Reviewers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
We have open positions on our team for 1) a motherboard reviewer, and 2) a memory reviewer. TechPowerUp Reviews are renowned for their in-depth focus on technical and performance aspects, and are supported by a large selection of tests. We are looking for someone with experience tweaking hardware in general—and memory in particular—ideally with some overclocking experience. As a motherboard reviewer you should be able to identify the various components of a motherboard PCB, discuss their quality aspects, test relevant onboard devices, provide technical photography, and put the motherboard through a selection of tests that will evolve with your feedback and community interest. Likewise for memory, we'll need you to be able to push the memory module to its limits, to detail its OC tuning potential and stability (we're not expecting you to do LN2). You should also be able to understand DRAM IC choices, memory timings and their effects, and how everything comes together for the big picture.

In terms of language skills we're not asking for novel writers, however you should have a decent grasp of the English language, and be able to get across your thoughts, experience and excitement with the product to our readers, who may have learned English as second language.

Both positions are remote, part-time and paid. Ideally you already have some hardware on your own, we can definitely provide you with additional testing platforms, as needed. We'd prefer someone from North America/EU, but as long as shipping logistics can reach your place, any location will be fine.

While it makes some sense to combine the the memory and motherboard reviewer positions, we are considering both options—one person, or two—because we aim to maintain a high sampling rate (1-2 reviews a week, with a high probability of more during new platform launches). If you think you can handle both positions, please ensure you have sufficient time to accommodate both roles. Having your own contacts in the industry is completely optional, and the lack of any is not a dealbreaker in the hiring process. While it is certainly a plus, we already have close ties with vendors and can make the necessary introductions to get you going with review samples. If you are interested, get in touch with us by sending your application and resume with relevant experiences, if any, to w1zzard@techpowerup.com to discuss further. Any questions? Let us know in the comments of this thread.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Z590 Epiphenomenal Rocket Bench
Processor Intel 11600K i5 binned by Silicon Lottery at 5.0/5.1 - 5.5Ghz ST Benchmark capable - 5.3Ghz Daily OC
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XIII Apex
Cooling Noctua NH-P1 Passive/Active Cooler with Noctua 140mm Industrial PWM fan tuned at 750rpm
Memory F4-4800C17D-16GTRS @ 5066MHz 17 17 37 1T Daily / F4-5333C22D-16GTES @ 5600Mhz 20 32 52 1T Daily
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX A2000 workstation card (Coming Soon)
Storage Intel Optane PCIe Add In Card 280GB SSD / WD_Black SN850 500GB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / (2) 860 Pro SATA
Display(s) LG 32in 2560x1440 32QN650-B
Case Primochill WetBench SX Pro test bench
Audio Device(s) Creative Pebble V2
Power Supply Seasonic TX-700 fanless titanium
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 graphite / ROG Gladius II Origin
Keyboard HHKB Hybrid Type-S black
Software Work and statistical apps
Benchmark Scores 5.5Ghz Single Thread Cinebench R15 - 268 CPUZ ST – 704
hell yeah, maybe we will have someone who doesnt just use dram calculator as a OC....

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
I know we're not voting or anything, but if we were, Tabby aka @tabascosauz would get my vote, hands down! :clap:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
fyi, very very few people are probably qualified for the ram reviews...

@tabascosauz you are one of those very few. just a heads up if you are interested! ram oc'ing gives me a headache.
@tabascosauz can complete this job - in his sleep. :)
I know we're not voting or anything, but if we were, Tabby aka @tabascosauz would get my vote, hands down! :clap:

Thanks but I'm basically 0 on intel. @Black Haru already has the right ideas, just could benefit from a little more hands on with AMD and less reliance on DRAMcalc, and infinitely more experience than I have on Intel. Also I really just regurgitate what other ppl have said already :D

I think I can offer some insight into the Renoir/Cezanne APUs especially on the IF and iGPU side - but I'm sure w1zz has got cpu testing covered already

can't think of many people with experience working in both camps except @buildzoid

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thanks but I'm basically 0 on intel. @Black Haru already has the right ideas, just could benefit from a little more hands on with AMD and less reliance on DRAMcalc, and infinitely more experience than I have on Intel. Also I really just regurgitate what other ppl have said already :D

I think I can offer some insight into the Renoir/Cezanne APUs especially on the IF and iGPU side - but I'm sure w1zz has got cpu testing covered already

can't think of many people with experience working in both camps except @buildzoid
Never hurts to apply and see, except for the time spent. I'd say go for it and try out.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Intel overclocking is much easier imo. I think you should go for it!

D

Deleted member 202104

I'd never try to encourage anyone into something they didn't have any interest in, but if applying for this is on your radar, count me in to read the reviews you wrote even if I wasn't in the market for the product.

#tabascosauzformemoryreviewer

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
Are test platforms provided or is the reviewer on their own to supply such components? I know a couple people qualified for either position but they might be reluctant if they have to purchase a bunch of new hardware regularly.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Are test platforms provided or is the reviewer on their own to supply such components? I know a couple people qualified for either position but they might be reluctant if they have to purchase a bunch of new hardware regularly.
Says right in the post, hardware will be supplied as needed.

DDRx memory modules perform differently from motherboard to motherboard & CPU to CPU from both camps.

What you need to test memory modules "in the real world" is "Professional Hardware Diagnostic Hardware" (PHD). Even with this, your still at the mercy that a memory module with the same make & model may perform slightly differently as the binning is never the same.

In-short, when someone reviews a set of memory modules on a particular set-up, it's only relevant to that set-up only, everything outside of this is invalid.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
It’s a good opportunity for someone who knows how to tweak and get the most from hardware.

I have done a lot of RAM reviews of counterfeits, I have resorted to microscopes to read erased memory chips to identify the real devices etc

I have done a lot of RAM reviews of counterfeits, I have resorted to microscopes to read erased memory chips to identify the real devices etc

Ever wonder what happens RMA DDR memory.. Yes they are sometimes returned back or sold on with mixed chips without most if not all users not knowing. Anyone doubt what I'm saying, I have the evidence here from big manufactures, with the memory modules not tampered with, so yes, some brand new memory modules were sold with mixed ram chip. I only know they were doing this in the pass, so I don't know if they are still doing it today with modern DDR4. I have detected this in DDR1 memory modules only, but I'm fairly confident this was going on in DDR2 & DDR3.

If requested I can upload a photo, but it will name & shame a few big company's. AFAIK I have caught up-to three company's with mixed ram chips under the hood, ie heatsink.

Last edited:
System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Testing and ocing memory for review is no joke! I have all the respect in the world for those that dedicate the time and effort in doing it professionally.

Grave Mistake

While I would love to apply for this I have a couple worries.

1. RAM OC is more of a little hobby so I am not the most knowledgeable about all the different IC and the deep stuff, but I am willing to learn and getting paid is a real motivator.
2. I am really worried about my writing skills as they are almost never used and I have very little confidence in them.

So while I would love to do this as I really love messing with RAM I don't think I am qualified for it, mostly in regards to the writing

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I don't think I could do ram. Motherboard yes.

Unfortunately no time with kids and work and everything else. Probably have spare time when kids are old and gone away to school or moved out lol

Good luck TPU!!

System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
I'd love to review RAM but there's two problems:
1. I'm a minor (and a few years out from being an adult)
2. I'm not super experienced with RAM overclocking and benchmarking, and while I'd love to learn I don't think being a paid reviewer is the way to do it.

Reviewing motherboards sounds fun but it'd take up a lot of space. RAM you can stack up 10+ kits in box in the space that 1 motherboard box will take up.

I wish well to the ones who do this though!

Yeah, but do they get to keep the the hardware at the end of the day or do they need to send it back?

From my experience it's down to various factors. Some, but not all might be:

If it's a unit direct from the vendor, and it's a retail unit, than you may get to keep it.
If it's a pre-production serialized sample than it may need to be returned.
If it's provided by TPU via the vendor for the organization to publish a review than it could be under ownership of TPU, thus would be returned on departure by that reviewer. Or it could be granted to the reviewer as a bonus to the standard pay if the vendor does not require it to be sent back (I.E. if it were compensatory provided to TPU for providing a review.)

Each vendor plays it differently. My previous anecdotal experiences showed MSI, ASRock, and AMD to be the most lenient with review sampling. Generally not requiring whole units be returned, and often encouraging the practice of keeping the unit on hand for possible further analysis (in the event performance may be affected by an upstream change that should need a revisit.) AMD in particular has been the single most relaxed vendor I've ever dealt with for review samples, as they attribute the samples no monetary value and suggest it's a gift to the reviewer for giving the product a showcase; positive or negative regardless.

From my experience it's down to various factors. Some, but not all might be:

If it's a unit direct from the vendor, and it's a retail unit, than you may get to keep it.
If it's a pre-production serialized sample than it may need to be returned.
If it's provided by TPU via the vendor for the organization to publish a review than it could be under ownership of TPU, thus would be returned on departure by that reviewer. Or it could be granted to the reviewer as a bonus to the standard pay if the vendor does not require it to be sent back (I.E. if it were compensatory provided to TPU for providing a review.)

Each vendor plays it differently. My previous anecdotal experiences showed MSI, ASRock, and AMD to be the most lenient with review sampling. Generally not requiring whole units be returned, and often encouraging the practice of keeping the unit on hand for possible further analysis (in the event performance may be affected by an upstream change that should need a revisit.) AMD in particular has been the single most relaxed vendor I've ever dealt with for review samples, as they attribute the samples no monetary value and suggest it's a gift to the reviewer for giving the product a showcase; positive or negative regardless.

What happens if you break it doing teardown, overclocking & putting it under LN2. ...I take it, it's fine to send it back broken.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Never hurts to apply and see, except for the time spent. I'd say go for it and try out.

One thing about the current RAM reviews that gives me pause (and I admire) is the commitment to removing heatspreaders on every kit reviewed. I've done it before but it was anything but a pleasant experience even with copious amounts of heat, some vendors have seriously horrible heatspreaders. Is a great help given how Thaiphoon is a crapshoot for correctly guessing ICs, but damn that's dedication. Most layman reviewer sites don't bother.

One thing about the current RAM reviews that gives me pause (and I admire) is the commitment to removing heatspreaders on every kit reviewed. I've done it before but it was anything but a pleasant experience even with copious amounts of heat, some vendors have seriously horrible heatspreaders. Is a great help given how Thaiphoon is a crapshoot for correctly guessing ICs, but damn that's dedication. Most layman reviewer sites don't bother.

It not guessing, it's all down to what been programmed into the SPD at a given location.. Study this & you will know who made the dram chip by the code provided it is filled in by the company who made it.

You can see it here byte 350-351 (DDR4). Serial presence detect - Wikipedia ...Die revision is at byte 352

EDIT: I'm an hardware modder, so if I went as far as to remover the heat spreader, I would fit a thermal sensor if it did not have one & fill in byte 8 & 14.

Last edited: