• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp! Official IC Diamond Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
Not got Any TIM.... guess its a long way to Denmark ;)

IC Diamond

Innovation Cooling Rep
Last mailing I did to the UK was on avg 7-10 days - depends on whether they use the slow or fast boat....

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
Last mailing I did to the UK was on avg 7-10 days - depends on whether they use the slow or fast boat....

Slow boat.... You are not without humor, Sir :)

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
I got mine today on my lunch, but will be a while before I can swap out the TIM. Hopefully before Thursday.

What's the recommended way to warm up the tube to make it flow more easily? Is there a certain temp I want the water to be?

IC Diamond

Innovation Cooling Rep
I do not warm it up myself - should be okay as is, I usually recommend that in the winter months with colder room ambient temps or when you pull it out of the mailbox and it's -10 C outside. you can always just put it in your pocket, heat vent, on top of a piece of warm electronics if you deem necessary.

I even microwave it myself for a few seconds when I come into the office in the winter with heat turned down. You do have to watch it closely though when you do that

Not recommended for any other compound, I absent mindedly microwaved a metal oxide compound a couple years ago and had a nifty little toxic fire going, it was pretty exciting lol

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hi, IC Diamond.

So, I got a PM telling me staff would get seperate mailings from everyone else.

Well, you previously did the same sort of test, years ago, on another website, and the same applied. Except the sample I got back then had chunks in it that killed two VGAs byu scratching the surface of the GPUs when mounting the heatsink. This cost me over $800 in replacements.

So, info from between then and now, tells me that the sample was contaminated, so either the user that was responsible for shipping to staff on that site screwed with my sample, or you guys sent out some bad stuff.

I will not place my hardware under the same risk. I'd love to take part in the testing, but unless you send to me directly, I will not participate.

Thanks!

Dave.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Truth be told, I'd really like to see cadaveca's results with this stuff...

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
I do not warm it up myself - should be okay as is, I usually recommend that in the winter months with colder room ambient temps or when you pull it out of the mailbox and it's -10 C outside. you can always just put it in your pocket, heat vent, on top of a piece of warm electronics if you deem necessary.

I even microwave it myself for a few seconds when I come into the office in the winter with heat turned down. You do have to watch it closely though when you do that

Not recommended for any other compound, I absent mindedly microwaved a metal oxide compound a couple years ago and had a nifty little toxic fire going, it was pretty exciting lol

I just saw that somehad commented that it's very thick and was easier to spread if it was warmed up a little.

System Name Black Killing Machine
Processor Delidded NO IHS mount Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-OC
Cooling Swiftech DIR655 pump, Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ 79X0 Ni-Bl gpu, DT SNIPER CPU block, UT60 420 RAD
Memory Gskill Trident 2400mhz CL9 Samsung IC9
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE HD7950 OC 950mhz Edition, VaporX HD7950
Storage 2xM4 Crucial 64GB RAID 0, 1 OCZ AGILILITY 3 60GB, WDCB 500GB x2RAID0, WD Green, Hitachi 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW and 24" 120hz BenQ gamer
Case SilverStone Raven rv-02
Audio Device(s) Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphones, Topping D2 DAC/Headphone AMP
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/sonda5/ Delidding is magic. http://valid.canardpc.com/2878462
Hi, IC Diamond.

Well, you previously did the same sort of test, years ago, on another website, and the same applied. Except the sample I got back then had chunks in it that killed two VGAs byu scratching the surface of the GPUs when mounting the heatsink. This cost me over $800 in replacements.

So, info from between then and now, tells me that the sample was contaminated, so either the user that was responsible for shipping to staff on that site screwed with my sample, or you guys sent out some bad stuff.

I will not place my hardware under the same risk. I'd love to take part in the testing, but unless you send to me directly, I will not participate.

Thanks!

Dave.

Could you post a photo of the damage.

IC Diamond

Innovation Cooling Rep
Hi, IC Diamond.

Thanks!

Dave.

So back then... you were part of a giveaway and you had extensive damage and did not mention it? Odd.

Point of fact is we have had over 23 giveaways with over 900 tests by end users and no reports of damage as you decribe- I have never had an email or phone call from any user with a complaint about wholesale damage to their equipment. And I can confidently say you never contacted me.

Contamination is very unlikely, we contract mix our compound to a company that uses multi million dollar mixing machines in a clean room environment, heated and under a vacuum. This is unlike our retail competitors who do their mixing in an open air environment with unfiltered air.

We buy our diamond from the number 1# Diamond Supplier in the USA and they supply to companies that make diamond optical lapping paper. "large Chunks" would not be possible and demonstrate a lack of understanding of the screening process, our contract mixer then samples all material for conformity to specifications. We then fill from the shipped can transferring the compound into sterile syringes. There is no opportunity for contamination in fact I seriously doubt any other manufacturer is a rigorous as we are.

We are not a bunch of Yahoos we make every effort to produce a high quality professional product. IC Diamond is used extensively in mission critical systems where performance and reliability is key to their use. It is used today in avionics, servers on Navy ships, Speciality LED lights for mining operations and oil rigs as well as emergency medical devices etc.

If you had that experience perhaps it was contamination on your end we always recommend cleaning sink and cpu. In any event end users here can report their results and we will see how things look at the end of the exercise.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
i posted and emailed ages ago, what with the anticipation i now cant be assed, i posted weeks ago and no show. yes email was sent.:slap: see post 34

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I sent in an email this morning, how long is the turn around for a conformation that I will be involved in the sample testing?

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
there is none brandon you just end up getting it in the mail lol.

IC Diamond

Innovation Cooling Rep
I just saw that somehad commented that it's very thick and was easier to spread if it was warmed up a little.

Our suggested method of a 5.5mm bead on centre is a compression spread, most good retail heat sinks are 50 psi + in pressure. Add some heat and the viscosity changes so the compound spreads easily on it's own (cures as they say) without entraining or whipping(as with a manual spread) in any air which will cause performance/reliability issues. Unless you are in a sub 60F ambient room temperature no warming should required.

brandonwh64

there is none brandon you just end up getting it in the mail lol.

Ahh ok Crazy, I will just be on the look out. I will go ahead and install my cooler to get my cruncher back up and then change the paste once it arrives.

Will be comparing it to Arctic Silver Ceramique

System Name Current
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Xigmatek Gaia
Memory 2x4G G-skill Sniper
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 128 Crucial M4, 1 TB Seagate Baracuda
Display(s) Shimian Achieva 27"
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsais HX-620
Software Windows 7
Will give this a shot. Going on my 2500k under a Xigmatek Gaia with it's stock paste on it.

ON MY HONOR IN EXCHANGE FOR FREE COMPOUND I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO TEST AND POST MY RESULTS

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
On my honor in exchange forfreecompound i do solemnly swear to test and post my results

cadaveca

My name is Dave
So back then... you were part of a giveaway and you had extensive damage and did not mention it? Odd

Actually, I did. With pictures. I was also staff on that forum. ;)

As I mentioned, it's clear the sample was contaminated. However, not by myself, as I have always been careful. I have been doing this PC hobby thing in a big way for the last 12 years. :p

So, rather than worry about it, I'd like one from you directly, that is all. No need to defend anything. I wanna give it a try, with a good sample, rather than what I got last time.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
@IC Diamond,

Are the samples you are giving out in any way different than those available at retail?

brandonwh64

Actually, I did. With pictures. I was also staff on that forum. ;)

As I mentioned, it's clear the sample was contaminated. However, not by myself, as I have always been careful. I have been doing this PC hobby thing in a big way for the last 12 years. :p

So, rather than worry about it, I'd like one from you directly, that is all. No need to defend anything. I wanna give it a try, with a good sample, rather than what I got last time.

Do you have a forum post on this over at their site? I would like to see this before I use it as well. Not taking any sides here but want to see the issue for myself. I pay for my hardware and really do not want to ruin something due to a 5$ thermal paste.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I pay for my hardware and really do not want to ruin something due to a 5$ thermal paste.

I really do not think you need to worry. I received that sample via a third party, and somewhere between me getting it, and it being sent, the tube was spoiled. Because of this, I'd rather avoid the third party.

I tested both CPUs and GPUs, back in 2009. Only the post with the CPU results still exists. I still have those cards in my garage somewhere :laugh:. Anyway, in those threads back then, there are reports of staining, and the compound polishing off the writing on CPUs. The staining is an indicator of contamination, apparantly.

brandonwh64

I really do not think you need to worry. I received that sample via a third party, and somewhere between me getting it, and it being sent, the tube was spoiled. Because of this, I'd rather avoid the third party.

I tested both CPUs and GPUs, back in 2009. Only the post with the CPU results still exists. I still have those cards in my garage somewhere :laugh:.

Ahhh ok well I understand dave.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Forthe CPU testing, it was good, to be honest, but now I have CPUs with much higher power draws, so I very much want to check that out. I mean, I do have like eery current CPU, and then some. :p

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
@IC Diamond,

Are the samples you are giving out in any way different than those available at retail?

It is the exact same tube as buying retail Arctucas. :rockout:

Status
Not open for further replies.