• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Techspot] Chinese company says its latest EV batteries can last 16 years

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Move on over Elon Musk, there is a new king in town. Imagine if this car could come in at a 15 grand cost someday, built entirely by robots - that would change the world. 16 year battery, holy crap. throw in some solar panels on your roof and a powerbank storage. the future is very bright for Earth if we play our cards right. sadly the transition will be so slow and costly that the Earth will be fried by the time the masses make the transition, lol

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

Move on over Elon Musk, there is a new king in town. Imagine if this car could come in at a 15 grand cost someday, built entirely by robots - that would change the world. 16 year battery, holy crap. throw in some solar panels on your roof and a powerbank storage. the future is very bright for Earth if we play our cards right. sadly the transition will be so slow and costly that the Earth will be fried by the time the masses make the transition, lol

They make batteries for Tesla as it stands. From the linked source of the article.

The Chinese behemoth that makes electric-car batteries for Tesla Inc. and Volkswagen AG developed a power pack that lasts more than a million miles -- an industry landmark and a potential boon for automakers trying to sway drivers to their EV models.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
They make batteries for Tesla as it stands. From the linked source of the article.

I doubt China will let Tesla use the tech first, regardless. Especially as the friction between the free markets, capitalism, and communism heat up. I would bet money these batteries will get priority development for Chinese cars first.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I doubt China will let Tesla use the tech first, regardless. Especially as the friction between the free markets, capitalism, and communism heat up. I would bet money these batteries will get priority development for Chinese cars first.
Money rules the world it is all about how many Pesos. Tesla and the rest of the car makers (if this is true) will lineup.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Money rules the world it is all about how many Pesos. Tesla and the rest of the car makers (if this is true) will lineup.

China's military gets dibs, then Chinese EV's, there is a reason China can build nuclear power plants in 2 years when it takes the rest of the world 20 to do the same thing. Capitalism don't mean crap when you have extreme group think and power unlimited.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
"Last long" is only one of several metrics that are important for EV batteries.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Did not see much technical details. I guess it is still a secret at this point?

Meanwhile waiting for the following comments to pop up:

"Hey it is China so they must have stole it from somewhere else"
OR
"Hey it is China so they must be making up BS"
OR
"Hey it is China I'd rather die than use their stuff"

Panasonic makes Tesla's current cells. IIRC, Tesla's patents mostly relate to battery technology (aka: electronics, cell management), not chemistry. Panasonic owns half the Nevada Gigafactory by the way, so Tesla is more or less locked into a Panasonic partnership with regards to anything coming out of Nevada. I think Tesla using Chinese cells in their Shanghai factory is a possibility. But its kind of speculation. Such a move wouldn't be looked well by their Panasonic partners.

Anyway, cell chemistry is normally measured by "number of charging cycles", with current Lithium Ion around 500 cycles or so. The key for Tesla cars is that the car doesn't typically do a complete discharge, so fancy electronics can load-balance (like a SSD) which cells get charged / discharged. (In theory anyway. I have no idea how Tesla makes their battery packs at all).

I don't know how the article can really claim the following

As reported by Bloomberg, one such company is Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd. (CATL). CATL is apparently already prepared to begin production on batteries than can last an astounding 16 years, or 1.24 million miles, before needing a replacement.

For reference, many current EV batteries are rated for about 200,000 miles of usage, so that's quite a significant leap forward.

This is too high-level to be useful. Given the differences in electronic systems that manage the battery, the amount of miles a given battery pack can last for is variable. (Weight of the car, air drag efficiency, etc. etc. too many variables). I'd be more trusting of the article if it were reporting number of cycles instead.

Even then, a Li-Ion cell can last longer the slower it is charged (or more specifically: charging at lower voltages: 4.0V charging will give more endurance than 4.2V charging, but 4.2V will charge the battery faster). So now we're talking about use-case specific issues... someone who uses the Tesla Supercharger (high-voltage) for 30-minute quick charges will have their battery wear out faster than someone who uses their 220V or 120V charger at home.

The chemistry / electronics here are very complicated. I don't even know how you come up with "200,000 miles" or "1.24 million miles" unless you very specifically talk about the car's weight, air resistance, driving behaviors, charging methodology, and electronic strategy involved.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

No wonder their cars always have battery problems.... #MadeInChina

Space Lynx

Astronaut
No wonder their cars always have battery problems.... #MadeInChina

it is ironic looking back on Elon videos where he is bragging about made in america, only hire in america, only build in america. ah, how people love to change their tune once they pass that billion in the bank mark hehehe

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
it is ironic looking back on Elon videos where he is bragging about made in america, only hire in america, only build in america. ah, how people love to change their tune once they pass that billion in the bank mark hehehe

There was this scheme that Tesla was part of in hong kong -- For every apartment purchased that was over a certain cost - They gave you a free Tesla car with your purchase. Thats why they are a lot of Tesla's where i live in HK. My area isnt a super rich area either.

They had to resort to giving them away as part of a scheme..

There was this scheme that Tesla was part of in hong kong -- For every apartment purchased that was over a certain cost - They gave you a free Tesla car with your purchase. Thats why they are a lot of Tesla's where i live in HK. My area isnt a super rich area either.

They had to resort to giving them away as part of a scheme..

Do you have a link to a story about this? I'd be interested in learning the details.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Do you have a link to a story about this? I'd be interested in learning the details.

Apparently they ran a similar scheme in Canada too....

Though I am unaware if this is true as ive never been there. I know the HK one is definitely true though.