• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Temperature Spikes Reported on Intel's Core i7-7700, i7-7700K Processors

I can cherry pick too! Wow it sure is worth almost double the cost for less performance than a $190 CPU:

But then you would be missing out on that 1% IPC increase!!! How could you leave that much performance on the table?!

The i7-7700K is like Listerine, the burn means it's working!

Sure, cherry picking, there you go:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/04/11/amd_ryzen_5_1600_1400_cpu_review/4

that´s how you effectively test a CPU. Before you jump saying "no one plays at such conditions" let me remind you of 144hz and 240hz gaming, where all the fps are important.

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
:confused: How has this only become news? Seems something like this would have been before now. Or at least gotten a bit more exposure on the hardware sites. All the ones I frequent, have not seen mentions of this.

Exactly my point. My own 5.0Ghz 7700K never exceed 76c while sitting on a H110i. I do not plan to De-lid such a fine chip. Mine is sitting on Asus Maximus IX HERO.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Is sad how techpowerup is being so biased lately. Was my fav website. If you read rx580 review you will understand.

As for this "issue", do your research and you will find that making drama news from this is totally biased.

Quick tip: these cpu were launched almost 6 months ago.

Good luck techpowerup with your new direction. Thanks for everything. Cheers

Hey there Donald! See you are still making accusations without proof.

Plenty of people have already reported this issue. I would say it's your word against their's but you haven't added anything to the conversation other than "fake news!".

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
I understand how having your fan spin up to 2000rpm from 1000rpm would be annoying.
I had the same problem with my GPU until i hard-wired the fans.
In spite of what some people are saying in this thread, spikes like this are not normal and should NOT be tolerated. It's annoying as hell, especially with a loud-ass stock cooler.

that´s how you effectively test a CPU. Before you jump saying "no one plays at such conditions" let me remind you of 144hz and 240hz gaming, where all the fps are important.

So in your opinion running a bunch of incredibly old games that only use 2 cores is an effective test of modern CPU's? lol ok buddy. Please double check your link though, because even the R5 1400 pulls off 240Hz in Lost Planet. That means there is no discernible difference.

How about a game from this decade:

^Once again it isn't just about "Removing the GPU bottleneck". If it was just a gpu bottleneck, Ryzen would never take the lead. Yet here we are and Ryzen is a full 12% faster in 4K, and that is well past "margin of error". Ryzen is just flat-out better at processing high resolutions than Intel is, and in 1080p it's a laughably small difference.

If you do 240Hz 1080p gaming (which is ridiculous considering how few games support this framerate), then yeah get a stuttering 7700K.

Is sad how techpowerup is being so biased lately. Was my fav website. If you read rx580 review you will understand.

As for this "issue", do your research and you will find that making drama news from this is totally biased.

Quick tip: these cpu were launched almost 6 months ago.

Good luck techpowerup with your new direction. Thanks for everything. Cheers

Erhhh, what are you talking about?

If anything I sometimes get the feeling TPU is biased towards Nvidia. Overall though TPU is very fair, and in fact I would say they have become more fair lately.

System Name Tarro
Processor i7 3770@4.1ghz
Motherboard msi Z77A-G43
Cooling CM 212 Evo plus
Memory Kingstone Hyper Fury 8gb 1866mhz Black
Video Card(s) xfx 290x + accelero extreme 3 + MLU Bios +0.025v 1075/1375
Storage SSD 840 EVO + HDD WD 500
Display(s) Viewsonic 1080p hdmi
Case Corsair 200r
Audio Device(s) MB
Power Supply Antec HCG 900w
Mouse Logitech g502
Keyboard Ducky Shine zero Blueled
Software Windows 8.1 pro

Agree, people is 100% hyped to play at 640x480 with a 240hz monitor, i mean just imaginate play at 640x480 in a 4k 240hz, damn i men can just dream :( /s

On topic, yes its true than intel IPC push more fps but i havent see any 240hz benchmark review between ryzen and intel, and play CSGO at 240fps+ isnt big deal for ryzen too.

So in your opinion running a bunch of incredibly old games that only use 2 cores is an effective test of modern CPU's? lol ok buddy. Please double check your link though, because even the R5 1400 pulls off 240Hz in Lost Planet. That means there is no discernible difference.

How about a game from this decade:

^Once again it isn't just about "Removing the GPU bottleneck". If it was just a gpu bottleneck, Ryzen would never take the lead. Yet here we are and Ryzen is a full 12% faster in 4K, and that is well past "margin of error". Ryzen is just flat-out better at processing high resolutions than Intel is, and in 1080p it's a laughably small difference.

If you do 240Hz 1080p gaming (which is ridiculous considering how few games support this framerate), then yeah get a stuttering 7700K.

Any game supports 240hz, and it is miles better than 60hz or 144hz, specially for e-sports, period. You really want to know the percentage of gamers that use such high resolutions? Go n steam stats and check for yourself. Oh yeah I know that in 3 years many gamers will be using 4k, but in 3 years you will also have much better CPUs. And there isn´t such thing as "ryzen being better than Intel at high resolutions"; is all error margin, because GPU is strained on those conditions, not CPU. Prolly you would get the same results on 90% of the games, with an i3 + GTX1070 at 4k.

Agree, people is 100% hyped to play at 640x480 with a 240hz monitor, i mean just imaginate play at 640x480 in a 4k 240hz, damn i men can just dream :( /s

On topic, yes its true than intel IPC push more fps but i havent see any 240hz benchmark review between ryzen and intel, and play CSGO at 240fps+ isnt big deal for ryzen too.

You didn´t get it. I´m not saying me or someone plays at 640x480, but if a CPU can provide you 30% more frames that can mean the difference between 240fps and 180fps at 1080p and medium graphic settings with a good GPU. That´s the whole point of these Hardocp benchmarks, so you can get an idea of the real percentage difference between the CPUs on game engines.

As for Ryzen and CS GO you are wrong again. 7700k at 4,6ghz provides you 350-400fps in any condition, while on Ryzen you are in the house of 200s, wich for CS GO e-sports is low. An overclocked 7600k for CS is better than Ryzen. Now talk about "the future of multi threaded games" that no one cares about. CS GO is the 2nd most played game on PC and e-sports, and will remain like that.

You need to open your minds and understand that each case is different. Ryzen might be fine for you, but Intel is better at 240hz competitive gaming, period. Wether you despise that kind of experience, that´s a different story. So just don´t come and say that everyone should get a Ryzen because Intel is not worth it etc etc. We all want different things from our PCs.

If someone wants e-sports, why would this person buy a CPU that is better for Adobe Suites, Blender and streaming? If someone wants producitviy why would he buy a higher priced quad core 8 threaded CPU? Simple maths. Keep being ignorant.

Last edited:

Bandalo

Given the duration of these spikes (on the order of 3-7 sec), it's possible the temp sensor on the chip is just close to a high-temp component of the core.

You jump from 0-100% load for something, either foreground or a background task. The core temp naturally jumps immediately, but it takes a few seconds for the heat to start to spread to the surrounding silicon and then the heatspreader. In that time, the local temp could get fairly high. If the sensor was far away from the core, you'd see a gradual increase then decrease. The closer the sensor is to the core, the more pronounced the spikes will be.

Mine was incredibly spiky when I had it. Far more so than any previous Intel chip I'd owned. The delayed spin up/down options in my Asus Z270 Prime seemed non-functional too, meaning I had to use AI Suite in the end to stop my CPU fan spinning up even when doing something like opening Chromium, as the CPU would spike from the high 20s to the mid-50s and trigger it. Load temperatures were okay (by Kaby Lake's standards) with an NH-U14S, but the fluctuations were annoying and one of the reasons I ditched it for an R7 1700.

@Bandalo this happens since Skylake gen on non K CPUs and on K overclocked CPUs with voltage set on AUTO or without an offset. These are not any news, is just an article to cause drama, because Techpowerup is like that now. Just need to pay attention to their last articles and reviews to conclude that, where a GPU that draws almost double the power and has a 5% increase in performance, is rated more than 9.0.

IF this was a real problem, it wouldn´t appear only 1 year and half after the release.

There was a time where this website was totally unbiased and my fav one to read about hardware. It isn´t like that anymore and isn´t only me saying it. Maybe I´m one of the few that bothers coming here to write it. Just pay attention to other hardware forums and you will see what´s happening with techpowerup.

Right now GamersNexus and Hardocp are 2 good unbiased websites that put the facts and the scientific graphs in your face, and you make your conclusions.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
For having a 7700K and de-lidded I have not seen such a case in the proclaimed temperature spikes.

I ALWAYS have my temperature monitoring program on straight at boot up and haven't seen any problems here.

Bandalo

@Bandalo this happens since Skylake gen on non K CPUs and on K overclocked CPUs with voltage set on AUTO or without an offset. These are not any news, is just an article to cause drama, because Techpowerup is like that now. Just need to pay attention to their last articles and reviews to conclude that, where a GPU that draws almost double the power and has a 5% increase in performance, is rated more than 9.0.

IF this was a real problem, it wouldn´t appear only 1 year and half after the release.

There was a time where this website was totally unbiased and my fav one to read about hardware. It isn´t like that anymore and isn´t only me saying it. Maybe I´m one of the few that bothers coming here to write it. Just pay attention to other hardware forums and you will see what´s happening with techpowerup.

Right now GamersNexus and Hardocp are 2 good unbiased websites that put the facts and the scientific graphs in your face, and you make your conclusions.

I was making my comments based strictly on the graphs provided and what I know of EE and heat transfer. I'm not saying there is or isn't a design flaw or problem. Honestly I'm quite sure the CPUs are perfectly fine, and it's probably more an issue with how the temps are being tracked than anything else. A 90C spike for 4 seconds isn't going to do anything to a CPU that's rated for 100C continuous.

Adjust your fans on a 10 second average of temp rather than the instantaneous temp, and you'd never have an issue.

I seen an Office PC with a i5 4670 non K running at 90º load for 3 years everyday with a stock cooler, and the cpu is still alive. CPU temperatures concerns on the internet are overrated as f, because people don´t actually experience the stuff before talking. Killing a CPU these days is so hard that you can´t even imagine, unless you mess with the pins.

So no, a sensor read error won´t kill your 350 bucks CPU. Nice drama tho

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
For having a 7700K and de-lidded I have not seen such a case in the proclaimed temperature spikes.

I ALWAYS have my temperature monitoring program on straight at boot up and haven't seen any problems here.

what would be funny is if all these guys didn't notice windows 10 updating in the background.

Last edited:
System Name Poke
Processor i7-7700K OC 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280
Memory G.skill TridentZ DDR4 16GB 2X8GB kit 3600 Mhz XMP
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080TI FE
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB SSD / Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB HDD
Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144 Hz
Case NZXT H440 Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM750i
Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Software Win 10 Home x64
I seen an Office PC with a i5 4670 non K running at 90º load for 3 years everyday with a stock cooler, and the cpu is still alive. CPU temperatures concerns on the internet are overrated as f, because people don´t actually experience the stuff before talking. Killing a CPU these days is so hard that you can´t even imagine, unless you mess with the pins.

So no, a sensor read error won´t kill your 350 bucks CPU. Nice drama tho
Same, I bought a 4770K on september 2013 and always with the stock Intel cooler, when gaming was as hot as 90ºC sometimes, man, it is still alive and running just like day 1, i have recently bought a CM 212 Evo for fun and overclocked the cpu to a decent 4.3 ghz and worked excellent, it can now avoid throttling thanks to the new cooler, i gave it to my father when i bought the new cpu on jannuary, the only reason why i bought an AIO cooler is to avoid throttling, not because it's going to die due high temp, having that obsesion with temperatures takes away the fun, being worried all time for such little things like that, i mean who keep these cpus for more than 4 years? and who does is probably a person who is not into that world of gamers or simply a very simple person, luckily my cpu doesn't get that hot, i have seen only a max temp of 73ºc on core 1 according to RealTemp and it's not concerning for me at all.

costeakai

I.v just returned i7 7700 because of high temperature and voltage. Using i5 7500 which behaves much cooler , thank you.

I think what's going on is some of these motherboard bios over volt the CPU. For example my board at load feeds 1.35 v to the 7600k at stock and while encoding vids temps were in the mid 80s. If your concerned about temps steps to take are upgrade bios, manually dial in vcore at 1.2v and maybe update the ME firmware. Also had to upgrade the heatsink to a better one and put a high static pressure fan on it which saved about 7 degrees. Also going to get a better case all because of Kaby Lake. Dare anyone to run Prime 95 v 28.1 and report your temps. Prepared to be shocked!

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
No problems here, but I have my oc 7700K setup set to specific voltages.

Anyone remembers that funny looking Pentium (think it was 2 or 3, perhaps) that was put vertically, on a slot on the motherboard? That thing was constantly running at 90C, and was projected like that...

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
But Intel is beyond reproach?

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
The 7700 and 7700k are not exactly "new" CPUs (meaning they have been available for a few months). Why haven't we heard of this before now?
It may be a bug on some newer BIOSes on newer kaby lake mobos, or it could be a silicon error that took months of use to show up.

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
So from the replies it might be an over-volting issue? Bumping the voltage drastically could definitely explain the bump in temps and could be related to software. Whether that is due to BIOS/microcode/whatever is to be determined though...

Bandalo

So from the replies it might be an over-volting issue? Bumping the voltage drastically could definitely explain the bump in temps and could be related to software. Whether that is due to BIOS/microcode/whatever is to be determined though...

Well, no one here actually KNOWS. We're all just speculating based on some seriously limited data.