• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tempted to go h2o

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
oh he got his answers. not much more to discuss. I could cut a 120mm on the top panel, a 120mm over the 2x 80mm exhaust, I could probably cut 6x 120mm on the side panel if I wanted to and use 2x Cooler Master 4:3 modules in the 5.25" bays the case is so big and plain you can pretty much do anything. always check ebay and craigslist for those old generic cases sometimes you can find really nice ones.

D

Duxx

Well I really want to attempt to make this happen. Anybody have any "packages" or products they recommend? I'm not trying to break the bank but would want something decent for sure. Would I need another case? I don't know if my 900 would suffice for this undertaking.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Well I really want to attempt to make this happen. Anybody have any "packages" or products they recommend? I'm not trying to break the bank but would want something decent for sure. Would I need another case? I don't know if my 900 would suffice for this undertaking.

Do you want to mount the radiator inside or outside the case?

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
the kit I selected for you if you were to buy the components in the kit separately it would only save you $20 if that because you might be purchasing the components from different stores, taxes and shipping cost. also in the kit there is a rad box in it you put it on the 120mm rear on the outside of the Antec 900 and put the radiator in it.

D

Duxx

the kit I selected for you if you were to buy the components in the kit separately it would only save you $20 if that because you might be purchasing the components from different stores, taxes and shipping cost. also in the kit there is a rad box in it you put it on the 120mm rear on the outside of the Antec 900 and put the radiator in it.

Where would I mount it, on the side?

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
I'd like to know some things from the OP. #1) what are you trying to cool? #2) What are your temperatures now? #3) How much are you looking to spend?

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
D

Duxx

I'd like to know some things from the OP. #1) what are you trying to cool? #2) What are your temperatures now? #3) How much are you looking to spend?

1: CPU maybe.. gfx
2: They are fine, its not for temps, unless i wanted to push OC beyond 4.4ghz
3: nothing more than 300... preferably lower than 250.

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco

I think he was talking about the back of the case.

1: CPU
2: They are fine, its not for temps, unless i wanted to push OC beyond 4.4ghz
3: nothing more than 300... preferably lower than 250.

What kind of CPU? If you aren't looking to spend more than 300 then don't get in to water cooling. You will not see better temps than a TRUE with high CFM fans for less than 350+.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
except maybe flip the rad around so you dont have tubes going all the way back down... and actually drill the holes for the tubes... nevermind. There is so much going on with that setup.

Binge is right... it takes a shitload of money to do it right, OR you won't see that huge of an improvement over good air (unless you spend that shitload, that is).

D

Duxx

I think he was talking about the back of the case.

What kind of CPU? If you aren't looking to spend more than 300 then don't get in to water cooling. You will not see better temps than a TRUE with high CFM fans for less than 350+.

lol, should i make it BOLD where i say it's not for temps..? my 1283 does me just fine. It's not for that but thanks.

As for the bold type you highlighted in bumblebee's post I guess I didn't realize that something could be mounted on top of all my USB/DVI/PSU/AUDIO cables are that are sticking out of the back...

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
lol, should i make it BOLD where i say it's not for temps..? my 1283 does me just fine. It's not for that but thanks.

As for the bold type you highlighted in bumblebee's post I guess I didn't realize that something could be mounted on top of all my USB/DVI/PSU/AUDIO cables are that are sticking out of the back...

Most likely it can't, but that's what he said. Look bruthah. If you're not doing it for temps then what is the point? Do you want to possibly leave your system on, come back to it to notice the pump broke your tubing melted and water got on to your components before the motherboard shut down from overheating?

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11

Itll be offset to the side, not on top, but I recommend getting a case that you can mod/ buy modded parts for easily.

Like a lian li 6 series and a top panel with pre-drilled mounts from PPC.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Most likely it can't, but that's what he said. Look bruthah. If you're not doing it for temps then what is the point? Do you want to possibly leave your system on, come back to it to notice the pump broke your tubing melted and water got on to your components before the motherboard shut down from overheating?

that is the stupidest thing I have read in months.

could we not turn this into a debate of air vs. liquid because liquid has completely different thermal properties lets discuss kit or components instead.

D

Duxx

Well I guess if that was guaranteed than nobody would do it would they? Obviously that isn't the case because plenty of people do it. Everybody has to do it a first time don't they? You really seem adamant about persuading me not to venture into the water..

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
I love how people enjoy the idea of water cooling but never imagine they'll be using more fans and a pump... so there's more electricity used and strain on the PSU. Then if they want it really quiet they shouldn't OC because the temps will suck* with low CFM fans unless you get a huge hulking radiator. When all is said and done you have just spent $270 on the radiator and fans alone.

*When I mean suck they can be more harmful than air cooling. I had a pump die on me once and I ripped the power cord out of the wall so quickly. That can get ugly quickly. I had to change the tubes because they started to melt and the water began to boil. This was on an E8400 OCed to 4.4ghz with a 3x120mm radiator.

Well I guess if that was guaranteed than nobody would do it would they? Obviously that isn't the case because plenty of people do it. Everybody has to do it a first time don't they? You really seem adamant about persuading me not to venture into the water..

Your wallet will be more convincing than I am.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
*When I mean suck they can be more harmful than air cooling. I had a pump die on me once and I ripped the power cord out of the wall so quickly. That can get ugly quickly. I had to change the tubes because they started to melt and the water began to boil. This was on an E8400 OCed to 4.4ghz with a 3x120mm radiator.

Pumps don't plug into the wall.

what are you his money manager?

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Pumps don't plug in to the wall.

what are you his money manager?

Are you serious? I'm talking about the power to my psu. When a pump dies it doesn't matter what is powering it you have to cut power to what will die if you allow it to overheat.

D

Duxx

I love how people enjoy the idea of water cooling but never imagine they'll be using more fans and a pump... so there's more electricity used and strain on the PSU. Then if they want it really quiet they shouldn't OC because the temps will suck* with low CFM fans unless you get a huge hulking radiator. When all is said and done you have just spent $270 on the radiator and fans alone.

I never mentioned anything about saving electricity.. or sucking temps.. or not being quiet.

So because you built a system that broke, you are never going to do it again? Oh wait your current system is water cooled so it obviously didn't teach you a lesson, so why are you trying so hard to persuade me..

You took a chance building your first computer, you took a chance when you started to OC your stuff. Otherwise you would have bought a Dell and an extended warranty for 20 years so they could always take care of your problems for you. If you don't want to help, I don't really care.

It was a scratch on my back that I wanted to itch.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
I have never heard of a pump overheating or failing they have a 50,000 hour MTBF and are very simple in design. also gamers don't care for electricity if they did they wouldn't be using 1200 watt power supplies and triple or quad sli/crossfire setups.

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
I never mentioned anything about saving electricity.. or sucking temps.. or not being quiet.

So because you built a system that broke, you are never going to do it again? Oh wait your current system is water cooled so it obviously didn't teach you a lesson, so why are you trying so hard to persuade me..

You took a chance building your first computer, you took a chance when you started to OC your stuff. Otherwise you would have bought a Dell and an extended warranty for 20 years so they could always take care of your problems for you. If you don't want to help, I don't really care.

It was a scratch on my back that I wanted to itch.

This is my system now.

As you can see I just replaced the $90 pump. I just can't understand your insisting that you want to get into WC when you said you had a budget and apparently you're not into it for the temps or low noise. You don't care about energy efficiency, and so that leaves you as the hobbyist who will spend money on this like it's a hobby. It will get expensive. If you are FINE with that then by all means I would love to assist and help this grow. You're the one who doesn't see the silver lining to my posts.

I have never heard of a pump overheating or failing they have a 50,000 hour MTBF and are very simple in design. also gamers don't care for electricity if they did they wouldn't be using 1200 watt power supplies and triple or quad sli/crossfire setups.

It looks like you guys really want to fight about something, but pumps do fail. There are always manufacturing flaws and things that lower the life span of a pump.

My home made video about EK aftermarket pump tops

D

Duxx

This is my system now.

http://img.techpowerup.org/090510/DSCF0439.jpg

As you can see I just replaced the $90 pump. I just can't understand your insisting that you want to get into WC when you said you had a budget and apparently you're not into it for the temps or low noise. You don't care about energy efficiency, and so that leaves you as the hobbyist who will spend money on this like it's a hobby. It will get expensive. If you are FINE with that then by all means I would love to assist and help this grow. You're the one who doesn't see the silver lining to my posts.

Computers aren't a hobby? I wouldn't mind trying to push OC's more which would be possible with lower temps(not possible by air). Bumblee posted a 270$ kit. Any comments on it?
1-10 scale 10 being the best. What would you rank it?

http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecoel.html

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
i'm not fighting you are trying to convince him not to go liquid cooling with opinions that are stupid. it's not a manufacturing law. at worst a pump will leak and it's usually because one of the washers inside isn't on right all you have to do is take it apart to fix it.