• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TerraMaster D5 THUNDERBOLT 3 5-bay DAS

The TerraMaster D5 has high transfer speeds and huge storage capacity of up to 60 TB, thanks to five drive slots. Two Thunderbolt 3 ports are included, which should be a blessing for video editing, and you can chain multiple TerraMaster D5 units together to further increase capacity.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
1. An enclosure should cost ~$100.
2. 34W at idle and 45W at full load? Something is seriously wrong here.
3. SATA only, but Thunderbolt connectivity? Such a waste.

Bonus point: daring to run 5 drives in RAID0.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Why isn't the price listed as a negative?
$699 for a DAS is a joke and only Appletards will pay that much.
Stating it isn't that much in the article shows which side of the fence you sit on, that is a fortune for most working folk, and then they have the added cost of all the drives too, and thunderbolt capable cables.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Why would they put a SATA only backplane in it, when the Marvell controller supports SAS?

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Why would they put a SATA only backplane in it, when the Marvell controller supports SAS?
Probably because almost no one uses SAS drives at home?
So you loose speed with raid 5? How loose is it?
I wouldn't worry too much about speed. You get the reassurance of having one disk fail and not taking the rest of your data with it.
RAID 0 in general should come with a big, red warning sign on it. At least in the consumer space.

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
Probably because almost no one uses SAS drives at home?

I wouldn't worry too much about speed. You get the reassurance of having one disk fail and not taking the rest of your data with it.
RAID 0 in general should come with a big, red warning sign on it. At least in the consumer space.
I was making fun of the "author" for making such a damn mistake. LOSE not LOOSE. Maybe instead of wasting money on the DAS he should spend the money on an English class or writing class. I expected better from TPU. Very disappointing. Do they not have editors? Get some quick!

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I was making fun of the "author" for making such a damn mistake. LOSE not LOOSE. Maybe instead of wasting money on the DAS he should spend the money on an English class or writing class. I expected better from TPU. Very disappointing. Do they not have editors? Get some quick!
Oh, I missed that.
But in general it's rather disingenuous to point out issues with English/spelling in a context where most readers or writers aren't native speakers anyway. Plus, even native speakers' fingers slip every now and then.

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
Oh, I missed that.
But in general it's rather disingenuous to point out issues with English/spelling in a context where most readers or writers aren't native speakers anyway. Plus, even native speakers' fingers slip every now and then.
Once is a finger slip. Twice in the same paragraph is ignorance. It is my opinion that is is especially important to get it right for people who don't speak English natively, otherwise they aren't going to learn English, they are learning how to use it incorrectly.

Get an editor or two. I'm available and a native English speaker, so I can perhaps help the writers who aren't native English speakers. It is obvious they need the help.

Im pretty sure we are fine without grammar nazis. What isnt even remotely fine is pricing of this fancy 5x HDD box. :D

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
Im pretty sure we are fine without grammar nazis. What isnt even remotely fine is pricing of this fancy 5x HDD box. :D
I agree the price is insane. Simply pointing out the mistake so hopefully the author fixes it. Grammar does matter if you are being paid to write the article, and it should be reviewed by an editor.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I agree the price is insane. Simply pointing out the mistake so hopefully the author fixes it. Grammar does matter if you are being paid to write the article, and it should be reviewed by an editor.
This isn't the WSJ, this is a site for geeks put together by geeks.
As a non-native English speaker, I appreciate when people point out my mistakes. But not all people do, so use discretion when offering advice ;)

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
This isn't the WSJ, this is a site for geeks put together by geeks.
As a non-native English speaker, I appreciate when people point out my mistakes. But not all people do, so use discretion when offering advice ;)
As a native English speaker I also appreciate it when people point out my errors so I can correct them. I could have phrased it differently, but I wasn't trying to be mean. I just think when you are being paid to do a job, you should do it properly and fix any mistakes discovered in your product. Maybe the author doesn't care. I take pride in my work and address errors that are pointed out to me so I can improve and avoid the same mistakes next time. Maybe in just too old for this site.

Hm, yea I suppose it wouldnt hurt to do a bit of correction. I mean I noticed that error too. And my English sucks. :D

System Name Main Workstation
Processor Ryzen 1700 @ 3800 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1800 Classified
Storage Crucial MX200 500 GB
Case BC1 Open Benchtable Silver
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD 650 /w Apogee Groove and Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860W
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Leopold FC980C White /w Hasu controller
Software Windows 10 64 bit

So you have a problem with me because instead of "lose" I wrote "loose". ok...

Last edited:
System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
Fixed. Thank you for pointing it out.
No problem! Sorry if I came off as a jerk. I can't help the fact that I see errors and focus on them. That's simply how my brain works.

So you have a problem with me because instead of "lose" I wrote "loose" instead. ok...
I don't have a problem with you. I can't help but see these kinds of errors. Sorry I came off as a jerk.

Please do note that we have strict deadlines and we try really hard to hit them. This is no excuse, of course, for any grammar errors but they slip from time to time.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I can't help the fact that I see errors and focus on them. That's simply how my brain works.
Same here, but these mistakes happen, and when picking my writers I rather have someone with excellent in-depth technical knowledge who can deliver these reviews than someone who writes perfectly but puts out a review that's "whoa it has five bays, lots of storage, and Thunderbolt, and it's shiny - definite buy" (do google for "Terramaster D5 review" and you'll know what I mean)

About the cost now, as you will notice I fully broke apart this enclosure and in fact I made a quick calculation of the materials cost. It is about 350-400 bucks. This specific RAID controller card alone costs $150 and say another $80-100 for the TB3 card. Chassis, power adapter, SATA expansion board and the front panel board are easily over 100 bucks. If you add into this cost the taxes, software development, the shipping and the labor cost along with the support cost (warranty, RMAs etc) then $700 don't sound so crazy, right? Unless you want the people that build those products to earn less than 3-5 bucks per day so you can get them with $500.

I happened to travel to China and visited several factories there, so I know first hand what low production cost means.

How much do you believe the phones that you all have worth as parts? I don't see many of you complaining though why pay an iPhone or a Samsung 2x or even 3x the price of its parts? So please do the math before you insult me by saying "Stating it isn't that much in the article shows which side of the fence you sit on".

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
@crmaris I don't think it's a matter of retail vs BOM. When I said it should be around $100, that's how much it's worth to me.

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
Please do note that we have strict deadlines and we try really hard to hit them. This is no excuse, of course, for any grammar errors but they slip from time to time.
Fair enough. I completely understand trying to hit a deadline and making an error. It's good to see that you guys acknowledge and correct them when pointed out. I all fairness, I probably should have PMed the correction instead of posting a comment about it.

I could care less about having a few grammar mistakes. If this was a high end news outlet. I might care a bit more. We are here to learn more about tech and discover the pros/cons of new devices being implemented into the market. I'm not here to learn English. The mods are being nice in this scenario because we are the consumer. There is nothing wrong pointing out a mistake, but please don't go overboard on here about it. We do not like grammar police.

Now, involving the review. I do think that is a bit pricey. The disconnecting issue for doing multiple transfers is a huge turn off. It would need to be fixed first assuming your test model wasn't defective.

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
Same here, but these mistakes happen, and when picking my writers I rather have someone with excellent in-depth technical knowledge who can deliver these reviews than someone who writes perfectly but puts out a review that's "whoa it has five bays, lots of storage, and Thunderbolt, and it's shiny - definite buy" (do google for "Terramaster D5 review" and you'll know what I mean)
That's an excellent point and I certainly understand wanting to hire someone with the technical knowledge over someone who is a writer but doesn't have any experience with hardware and reviews. I certainly can't say anything bad about the review itself, as it was quite informative. As someone who does have extensive knowledge when it comes to hardware, the "it's shiny and had 5 bays" type of reviews are infuriating.
I was also impressed with the author testing it with two clients to push it to its limit and finding that it can't handle that currently. I agree a firmware update could possibly correct this issue.

I do wonder how fast it could be with 5 SSD's. Not a critique of the review, just curious because I'm a geek and I would have tested that in raid, both zero and five. I'm certain the thunderbolt connection could handle it.

I could care less about having a few grammar mistakes. If this was a high end news outlet. I might care a bit more. We are here to learn more about tech and discover the pros/cons of new devices being implemented into the market. I'm not here to learn English. The mods are being nice in this scenario because we are the consumer. There is nothing wrong pointing out a mistake, but please don't go overboard on here about it. We do not like grammar police.

Now, involving the review. I do think that is a bit pricey. The disconnecting issue for doing multiple transfers is a huge turn off. It would need to be fixed first assuming your test model wasn't defective.

As I just posted while you were posting this, I should have sent it as a private message and will going forward. I can't help but see these types of errors when I read, but I should have just sent a message. It's hilarious to me that there are so many fanboys going off on each other and calling people names, but it's the grammar correction post getting people all riled up.

Last edited: