• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Terrible 3DMark Scores, please read and help

warghost

Hey guys, just dropped over a grand into my 2 year old PC, because I wanted to play all the best games out there. I had everything installed and I am NOT impressed. I am getting about 25fps in Doom3, and it goes downhill from there in some other games.

My setup is:

CPU : AMD Athlon64 3200+ Winchester 939 pin
Mobo : Gigabyte K8 Triton GA-K8NS-939
GPU : Gigabyte 6800GT AGP (Overclocked to 401 core mhz / 1093 mem mhz)
RAM : 2 gigs Corsair 3200 TwinX XMS 400mhz

I'm running WinXP SP2, and I've got all the benchmarking programs. Sandra, CPU-Z, Everest, etc. I just need to know how I can be getting such bad scores in 3DMark05! I know that the numbers are lower than in previous releases, and that the score also depends on the drivers being used, yadda yadda. I am using the newest Nvidia drivers, from Gigabyte. That's version number 7.7.7.2, and my Bios was just flashed and firmware is up to date. Regardless, there are a lot of others with my exact same specs getting scores MUCH better than mine, using the same exact equipment (besides different manufactuerers). And my CPU scores are abysmal. My CPU score is 739, while others with same setup are getting 5500+!?!? What the hell is wrong here? Anyway, someone please try to help me with this. I am basically facing the fact that I may have spent over a grand to realize that I should be buying consoles instead of PC hardware. Here's the link to my 3DMark scores and specs...

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1160068

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
N

nightelf84

I assume you did a fresh install of windows? Which chipset drivers are you using? What programmes are running in the background?

warghost

No, this is my old install of Windows. I didn't want to have to format, since I have so much installed. I may have to do that anyway though. As for my chipset, I'm not sure. The mobo is only 3 months old and I got all the latest drivers from Gigabyte's website, so everything should be up to date.

I'm using a lot of background programs, but I just rebooted with nothing loaded using MsConfig, again got pathetic scores. 2886 3DMarks and 754 CPUMarks.

{JNT}Raptor

System Name Ummmm...Mine
Processor I7 920 @ 4.2ghz @ 1.29v's load
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Cooling Custom 1/2 inch H20
Memory 3x2gb Patriot Sector 7 @2008Mhz 27-9-11-9 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 580 SC 900/1800/1090
Storage 1-Mushkin 60gb SSD 1-500GB WD Black and 2-1TB 32mb WD Black
Display(s) 25 inch Hanns-G 2ms
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Catalina
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Pro Series-Modular
Software All Kinds...and then some.
Benchmark Scores 3dMark 11 P7066 Compare Link- http://3dmark.com/3dm11/251153
It's remnants of the Older Motherboard drivers getting In the way of the Newer Mobo Drivers.....In other words.....Unless you Backup and Format...You'll never see Any better scores......Trust me.....You gotta Go with a Fresh Install Of Windows whenever you change out the Motherboard.......Only If you went from the Same Mobo Chipset to the Same Chipset....Or newer Version of that Chipset.....Could you really get away without formatting.....even then It's going to be Iffy.
I mean....You said It yourself....You can't figure It out.....Thats because you Did everything right Except wipe and Reinstall.

Is the newer Vid Card From the Same Company as before? (Nvidia/ATI)......If not...then driver differences are Killing you there as well.

warghost

Hmm...didn't really think about that. This video card is from a different manufacturer. My old one was an ATI. So, I will be buying a new HD in another week or so, and I will just start over from there.

I hate the idea of losing everything I have saved, like saved game files, internet bookmarks, and programs. But, I guess it'll be worth it.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will start over from scratch.

{JNT}Raptor

System Name Ummmm...Mine
Processor I7 920 @ 4.2ghz @ 1.29v's load
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Cooling Custom 1/2 inch H20
Memory 3x2gb Patriot Sector 7 @2008Mhz 27-9-11-9 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 580 SC 900/1800/1090
Storage 1-Mushkin 60gb SSD 1-500GB WD Black and 2-1TB 32mb WD Black
Display(s) 25 inch Hanns-G 2ms
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Catalina
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Pro Series-Modular
Software All Kinds...and then some.
Benchmark Scores 3dMark 11 P7066 Compare Link- http://3dmark.com/3dm11/251153
Somewhere along the Line you should study up on Partitioning your HD's....that way.....Copy your "Needed" files to another Partition.....And format the Windows Partition.....Keeping all your Crucial Data on a Second Drive Is always a Better way to maintain them......Better yet....Burn your Files to a DVD or CD...Backing up your Important stuff should be Priority one.

Even a Little 256mb USB Thumb drive Is good for this.

Good Luck. :)

warghost

Good idea, and I will be partitioning the new 250gig HD I'm getting. Thinking 3 seperate partitions. 2@100 and 1@50 for system files/Windows/etc.

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
lol, I was just about to leave to go copy all my music files from my other computer to this one and I came across this thread. If you have a DVD burner, extra hard drive or even a hard drive MP3 player, then you don't need your old drive. I've had to reformat the drive on this computer 2 times already (RAID's SUCK when they have problems), and I don't care because the only things I really, really wanted were my music files (over 2000) so I copied them to both my MP3 players and 2 DVD's. So just back up whatever you use or want to use then reformat. It's definitely not hard, and it makes you feel good knowing you've just started clean. Obviously this isn't the hardest thing to think of doing, but I'm just saying, from experience, it really does work just backing up certain files.