• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tesla T4 Problems

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
you are not alone with probs on this mainboard;

i think this is a isolated prob with these mainboards

sozkan

Right! Gigabyte support said, I need to use Heat sink and extra cooling fan! But they still looking what is that caused from! Not only Gigabyte, similar chip-set MSI TRX40 heat much more! But how ever Intel based system cool and stable with the same T4!

I have new GPU for the Gigabyte TRX40 extreme it has 3 big fan (Gig. GTX 1660 Super) it is not heated at a. Yes it has fans, But they are not turning running cool on idle conditions.
I will RMA but, Unfortunately no chance to RMA yet the reason Corona.

linkinparkfan007

Right! Gigabyte support said, I need to use Heat sink and extra cooling fan! But they still looking what is that caused from! Not only Gigabyte, similar chip-set MSI TRX40 heat much more! But how ever Intel based system cool and stable with the same T4!

I have new GPU for the Gigabyte TRX40 extreme it has 3 big fan (Gig. GTX 1660 Super) it is not heated at a. Yes it has fans, But they are not turning running cool on idle conditions.
I will RMA but, Unfortunately no chance to RMA yet the reason Corona.

I'm curious what are your workloads that you were running on the Tesla T4s? Were you running AI or like video workloads? In my setup I definitely needed the the 3d printed fan module other wise it would throttle down to 300mhz. The max temperature it stays at is 85C.

sozkan

I'm curious what are your workloads that you were running on the Tesla T4s? Were you running AI or like video workloads? In my setup I definitely needed the the 3d printed fan module other wise it would throttle down to 300mhz. The max temperature it stays at is 85C.
Unfortunately we have no chance to run for useful application. It was run on Intel based workstation cool and functioning(But no proper load, only bench-marking). But On actual workstation Threadripper AMD systems overheat even on idle situation. I believe there is some compatibility issue with AMD Threadripper CPU or motherboards! So I have sent for RMA. It is with the manufacturer now. It is almost a month, no feedback yet. However I bought a gaming GPU ( GTX 1660 super) for temporary purpose. But it is one quarter performance of Tesla T4 but 10 times cheaper. There is huge fans on it, But it never heat and never activate the fan on idle condition. So I have concluded there is some issue with T4 series.. I cannot tell more until it will return!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
However I bought a gaming GPU ( GTX 1660 super) for temporary purpose. But it is one quarter performance of Tesla T4 but 10 times cheaper. There is huge fans on it, But it never heat and never activate the fan on idle condition. So I have concluded there is some issue with T4 series.. I cannot tell more until it will return!
Is Fan Stop a feature of those cards? Check the box.

@sozkan
There's nothing wrong with the T4 and even if there is an issue on a particular motherboard, it doesn't change the big picture.
T4 just won't work without a proper airflow - of course assuming you want to use all the performance it has to give.
It was designed for rack units.

You have to mount a fan pushing air directly into the heatsink. It's just 75W, so a decent 80mm fan will do.
If you're having problems fitting it inside the case, you can go for a fast 60mm, high-airflow 40mm (noise!) or bunch ordinary 40mm.
You should be fine with around 40m^3/h ~= 25CFM

You can also make a longer air duct going from a single case fan into the GPU.
You'll still need custom-made adapters on both ends. The middle part should be flexible, so use a vacuum cleaner hose or something like that.

The good part is that T4 heatsink is bi-directional, so you can push air from whichever side you want. Some server GPUs need air to move in a given direction (e.g. Tesla M60)