• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The 360 vs PS3 war continues

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
yes i know my gpu would of cost more but i only have it coz it was free, long story but i have some nice friends :) one also has a e6600 in a draw collecting dust so...:D

edit

from what i have read in the uk press both ps3 and 360 are selling at about the same rate here and the wii is selling at about the same as both of them combind so i think there is only one clear winner but as to wether it is classed as a "next-gen" console is open for debate.

The Wii is outselling everything else but its still shite! The main reason for the Wii selling so well is the low price (which isnt going to be a factor for long because the 360 keeps coming down) and that the console is aimed at children/families.

Ive owned a Wii before but I sold it because it got boring after the first few weeks (even my 2 children thought so and they are 4 & 8 years old) It was funny, I had 60+ games yet all we ever played was the freebie Wii Sports :roll:

At the moment the standings are like this:

XBOX360: Great hardware, ok price, good games

PS3: Great hardware, high price, crap games

Wii: Crap hardware, good price, crap games

So the smart choice to a console gamer is the 360.

System Name Xbox 360 Super Elite
Processor 3.2GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
Memory 512MB 700MHz GDDR3 RAM
Video Card(s) ATI Xenos @ 500 MHz
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 26" Samsung LCD HDTV
Case Super Elite (COD:MW2 Edition)
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
i think they are both pretty equal ...only thing is...

The Xbox 360 can do amazing things with HDR...so well that it makes alot of the same titles for the ps3 look like poop compared to it. and the 360 can manage frame rate way better than the ps3.

no matter how you slice it the reason the 360 is on top is because it has been out 1 year longer...granted companies cant code right with the ps3 cpu but hey...maybe one day they'll get it..

i remember the battle on going with the saturn and the PS, in the end we know what happened. the major factor it that developers want to make good games but fast and it just aint possible with the PS3 (UT3 and GTA4 have been put back because of the difficulties with programming for the cell), as being a developer my self we are lazy and the easy way out usually always wins!

i think after most developers first poke at PS3 development, i can see there being full fat 360 and pc version but then games but passed down the line to a third party to do a PS3 port, and we all should remember how PS ports looked on the saturn!

Last edited:

Flamingsupernova

Processor Intel Q6600 @ 2.66 gHz Stock Cooler
Motherboard ASUS STRIKER II 780i
Cooling 4x 120mm Fans, Stock CPU HSF
Memory Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) INNO 3D 8800GT 600/900/1500
Storage 2x SATA-300 320gb WD 16mb HDD's in RAID 0
Display(s) ASUS VKU 222 22" Widescreen w/ 1.3 MP Webcam
Case Antec P182 Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX II HD Audio - PCI-e 1x
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 650w Modular
Software Windows XP Pro SP3
Benchmark Scores 11,676 on 3DMARK 06

Flamingsupernova

the major factor it that developers want to make good games but fast and it just aint possible with the PS3 (UT3 and GTA4 have been put back because of the difficulties with programming for the cell), as being a developer my self we are lazy and the easy way out usually always wins!

So you are trying to justify the fact that delays on PS3 games are happening because the true power of the PS3 is too hard to encode for "lazy" game developers?
Then what was the point of making it?
I reckon that it is only a matter of time before a game developer encodes a game for the PS3 that will smash the Xbox 360 and its, for lack of a better word, "better" graphics processing.
We're only at the tip of the iceberg with the PS3, and its potential is phenomenal.

That's not to say that the Xbox 360 isn't in any state to compare to the PS3, its an amazing console, but the PS3 will make its way to the top.

Flamingsupernova

Lol. Checkmate. hehehe
the xbox 360 is alot darker, but anti-aliasing is stronger.

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.8ghz AIR
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling 3 fans of MADNESS
Memory 4GB ADATA XPG DDR3 1600G
Video Card(s) ATI 4890 1GB GDDR5 memory
Storage 500gb SATAII
Display(s) 23" 1080p Acer H233Hbmid
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream / 600W / Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Professional 64bit
its darker because of the HDR which is actually better because in that part of the game your in jenny's apartment and there really isn't much light its very dark and dim in the building like i said before HDR makes a lot of difference yeah its darker but its darker for the realism, if you lit a few candles in a room would you expect the room to be as bright as if a lamp was on?...doubt it

i remember the battle on going with the saturn and the PS, in the end we know what happened. the major factor it that developers want to make good games but fast and it just aint possible with the PS3 (UT3 and GTA4 have been put back because of the difficulties with programming for the cell), as being a developer my self we are lazy and the easy way out usually always wins!

i think after most developers first poke at PS3 development, i can see there being full fat 360 and pc version but then games but passed down the line to a third party to do a PS3 port, and we all should remember how PS ports looked on the saturn!

if you were a developer for one of those companies i highly doubt they would be "lazy" considering how much they get paid. And why would any Developer want to have an for lack of better term "unfinished product" considering frame rate issues bad AA and horrible HDR? i doubt it has anything to do with that...granted the "Cell" processor is suppose to be amazing BUT maybe it looked better on paper than it did when it was finished? who knows

and about the saturn vs ps...yes i was a sega fan boy...sony came on the market and dominated the saturn and the dreamcast...so concidering Microsoft JUST started making consoles with the original xbox ...whats to say they wont do what sony did to sega?

we'll find out eventually

Storage 250GB
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
So you are trying to justify the fact that delays on PS3 games are happening because the true power of the PS3 is too hard to encode for "lazy" game developers?
Then what was the point of making it?
I reckon that it is only a matter of time before a game developer encodes a game for the PS3 that will smash the Xbox 360 and its, for lack of a better word, "better" graphics processing.
We're only at the tip of the iceberg with the PS3, and its potential is phenomenal.

That's not to say that the Xbox 360 isn't in any state to compare to the PS3, its an amazing console, but the PS3 will make its way to the top.

this was the case in the PS port to saturn. the saturn had 2 CPU's and 2 graphics proccessors and on paper it was more powerful than the PS. the fact that the saturn had an early death was developers found it difficult to write code to take advantage of multiple cores.

i'm just tring to note the repeating pattern, as this is what was seen with the saturn. every developer jump on and it wasn't to long before developers that had been developing for the sega for years jumped ship quickly once they discovered how easy it was to achieve great result with alot less effort and reduced development costs.

it all balls down to money and time. why would you develop a game on one console that was going to take longer and cost more, if the other machine had the install base and the audience for you to reap similar or greater rewards.

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
this was the case in the PS port to saturn. the saturn had 2 CPU's and 2 graphics proccessors and on paper it was more powerful than the PS. the fact that the saturn had an early death was developers found it difficult to write code to take advantage of multiple cores.

i'm just tring to note the repeating pattern, as this is what was seen with the saturn. every developer jump on and it wasn't to long before developers that had been developing for the sega for years jumped ship quickly once they discovered how easy it was to achieve great result with alot less effort and reduced development costs.

it all balls down to money and time. why would you develop a game on one console that was going to take longer and cost more, if the other machine had the install base and the audience for you to reap similar or greater rewards.

hence why Konami is talking about not making MGS4 exclusive to the ps3 because it'll be easy to port it onto the 360 and easier to make better of some things in the game...

Storage 250GB
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
if you were a developer for one of those companies i highly doubt they would be "lazy" considering how much they get paid.

I don't mean lazy as sitting on my arse and doing a crappie job. lazy coder is a developer term, meaning taking the easy option on the development process to achieve the results. the results would not be as great if the developer studied the hardware to figure out how these results are best achieved.

this as already been seen in games like madden '08. EA could of taken the time to make the PS3 version just as good as the 360 version, but development time and cost with of been greatly increased.

so yes, even $80,000 p/a developers are lazy, in the case of madden '08, EA wanted it out at the same time as the 360 version, and the developments had to take the lazy way out to get the game working to a playable condition. therefore not taking the advantage of what the hardware was capable of.

Storage 250GB
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
hence why Konami is talking about not making MGS4 exclusive to the ps3 because it'll be easy to port it onto the 360 and easier to make better of some things in the game...

spot on my fella!!

looks like final fantasy 13 will be going the same way also!

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
spot on my fella!!

looks like final fantasy 13 will be going the same way also!

well they aren't releasing half life orange box until december for the ps3 so hopefully they are using that time to make it a solid game..

Storage 250GB
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
well they aren't releasing half life orange box until december for the ps3 so hopefully they are using that time to make it a solid game..

PS3 can't have rushed games like madden 08, or the console will have the rep to a porting box of any old 360 game.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it

Or to actually have it manage to run at 60 fps and one up EA with their 30fps for madden PS3 vs Madden 60fps xbox 360:p:p:p

joytime360

Yes right now 360 seems more popular than the ps3, and a new special edtion for 360 has been launched not long ago .