• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The air in the Forums seems to have shifted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Matthew 10:21

Well fortunately none of us are brothers and I don't think anyone is actually gonna die from a few unpleasant trolls....... ohhhh wait a minute, they may bore us to death :D

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Simply put, this is not everywhere else, this is TPU. The point I was making earlier about name calling stands here too. Just because you see it elsewhere or that someone else does it before you, does not make it right to happen here. ;)
Not really everywhere else.

This is the only large forum I belong to (read post at). The smaller forum im a part of and moderate, doesnt tolerate a lot of the nonsense that goes on here, that is for sure.

Its amazing the baseless theorycrafting that happens here.

Its amazing how long some arguments are allowed to continue...

Its amazing the amount of fud and nonsense here. That starts from the news on down (reviews/reviewers are great here, note) to the users. The amount of TRULY knowledgable people here (who dont review) i can honestly count on one hand...and i dont consider myself part of that group. :p

I dont know...forums at least tech forums, have really run their course for me. Its tiresome watching trolls. Its tiresome watching the legally blind lead the blind. Its tiresome watching the 'knowledge' get watered down by every dick, tom, and jane with an opinion and posts. Large forum curse?? Maybe...

Its a micro view of humanity with more balls than brains because of anonymity. Depressing.

System Name The Tesseract Cube
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI X570A-PRO
Cooling DeepCool Maelstrom 240mm, 2 X DeepCool TF120S (radiator fans), 4 X DeepCool RF120 (case fans)
Memory 2 x 16gb Kingston HyperX 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 Nitro + 16GB
Storage Corsair MP400 G3 1TB, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) MSI MAG241C Full HD, 144hz FreeSync
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55
Audio Device(s) MB Integrated, Sound Blaster Play 3 (Headset)
Power Supply Corsair CX650M Modular 80+ Bronze
Mouse Corsair Dark Core Pro Wirless RGB
Keyboard MSI GK30 Mecha-Membrane
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores CPUZ: Single Thread - 510 Multi Thread - 4.050 Cinebench R20: CPU - 3 500 score
I noticed this too in the time im here active on the TPU forum.
I am full of suggestions for any kind of hardware wise problem or opinion, and i always like to help the people that need it.

This doesnt make me imune to mistakes, i made some along the way, most of you can remember them (my poor Hantol PSU).

But in these past few months ive seen more people troling or feeding their ego of another people's mistakes, which is what im not fine with.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
It used to be friendly arguments about green vs red, and if it devolved into insults, it wasn't usually mean spirited. Now it's "anyone who disagrees with me is a complete moron, I'll track you down and &%!# your sister! A small part of it is old school members who lack patience with the new breed of members who show no respect to anyone, but they're not the real problem - it's those new members. Every day, I see new members with 1 or 2 posts, not asking for help - joining for the sole purpose of flaming someone's thread, or posting something guaranteed to induce angry replies. Or if they do ask for help, you have to pry all their system info out of them one piece at a time, and then they ignore all advice. Maybe new rules should be implemented regarding new members and what they can post, maybe with a probationary period, so they can be promptly banned if they show zero potential as a useful member. Nobody wants some random person screaming insults in their face, and established, useful members shouldn't have to put up with this in every thread.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Should the mods start cleaning threads more aggressively? Without penalties for the poster
I have no idea how often people are being issued infractions but, maybe a slap on the wrist might be in order if someone is being extra rude or is being persistent.
Thing is, we'd rather not have to spend our time on TPU giving out infractions and editing threads. Believe it or not, I'd rather be involved in the forums helping others and learning.
Aren't infractions supposed to mitigate behavior that requires you to intervene? If that isn't successful, that's what issuing a vacation is for, right?

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
It used to be friendly arguments about green vs red, and if it devolved into insults, it wasn't usually mean spirited. Now it's "anyone who disagrees with me is a complete moron, I'll track you down and &%!# your sister! A small part of it is old school members who lack patience with the new breed of members who show no respect to anyone, but they're not the real problem - it's those new members. Every day, I see new members with 1 or 2 posts, not asking for help - joining for the sole purpose of flaming someone's thread, or posting something guaranteed to induce angry replies. Or if they do ask for help, you have to pry all their system info out of them one piece at a time, and then they ignore all advice. Maybe new rules should be implemented regarding new members and what they can post, maybe with a probationary period, so they can be promptly banned if they show zero potential as a useful member. Nobody wants some random person screaming insults in their face, and established, useful members shouldn't have to put up with this in every thread.

Sure, I agree that it used to be that way, also that it does seem there's a little less tolerance from some more experienced members. I also agree that nobody has to accept the kind of aggressive treatment from new or old members, it should be reported asap and usually is. I try to report (if I cannot delete) or moderate where I see such occurrences. Current and experienced members shouldn't return volley and sink to the new offender's level either. That makes those very members no better than the harasser and infractions can and will still be earned for such behavior. Some of those new users also aren't always "new" members...but some are, and just join to harass. We do try to catch and handle it as soon as we see it. Don't let them get to you is really what I suggest...isn't worth it.

If it gets to the point you have to say it happens in every thread as you did above, I'd think it might be time to step away from the section where you find yourself most annoyed to that extent, it isn't worth it to let it get to you and I'm sorry if you feel that way.

If someone offends you, don't go sink to their level and offend them or use their tactics against them, be the better person and stay constructive if you do continue on the topic (staying on topic too BTW), report it and move on, ignore them (forum ignore or just scroll on past), or step away from the forums until you can collect your cool. That's really the best suggestion I can provide to members here that find themselves annoyed or offended. None of that drama is really worth your time, nor proves anything worse of you for choosing to not give it attention. In-fact that would be more respectable than dragging it on and on IMHO.

We can't keep 100% of members happy and away from 100% of the negative and annoying shit that happens around here, but that doesn't stop us from trying to do our best. We could all exercise some self control and positive/constructive posting manners which would likely reduce a noticeable amount of the drama that unfolds more frequently around here. Using some of what they used to call netiquette and simply respecting each other.

I'd like to challenge everyone on this forum to try harder towards that goal, working together, supporting others, not sinking to an aggressor's level, continuing to report offenses, understanding that the mods are on your guys' side and we're doing our best to keep the peace for the best of TPU and its community. I love this place and my goal is to help keep it a great place to visit and enjoy within my abilities as a member of the community and a moderator of a few sections. But it all starts at the member level and we all have a big choice in how that is handled, either good or bad. It is a decision, no different then choosing to decide to join this forum as a member.

:toast:

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Viva La TPU? I know I'm not the type to always follow the rules and don't always get along with people (like if someone gets moody with me I troll them in a loving way) but I try to play nice and in general follow the major rules. Though I feel as if this is turning into a member vs mod mentality with how posts and people are handled.

I know which side I stand with because I've seen both sides of things. I love this forum and I'd hate to see it go down because people that have seniority think they get to do whatever.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
A good, enforcable rule would simply be that a personal insult gets you temp banned. You get a binary insult, "you're a moron" or "only idiots didn't get that message", you have a holiday.
You get a generic message of, "it's silly to do 'x' with 'y'" not so bad.
So if someone calls me an idiot for buying top end NVIDIA cards, it shouldn't be tolerated. If someone says NVIDIA are profiteering bum bags, that's fine.
Just a thought, stop allowing personal jibes and trolling.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
I find it funny as hell, that nembers with ten million posts but no experience are giving out advise. The same ones who havent posted here. They spread there FUD, then orher spamming members back them up. I just shack my head, I have had posts delete and been flamed. I Try to take a higher road, we are a better forum then TOMS HARDWARE. But some of the stuff that is allowed to go on here is amazing.
I only come here cause of the brotherhood that some used to display, ive even seen them contradict themselves lately. Ive said enough, not my monkey, NOT MY CIRCUS!

Oh I wont even mention the branding red team green team mentailty.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
it is more commonly known as the summer holidays.

that special time of year when the world of full of ignorant children that feel they know what is really the best for everything :D

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
Sure, I agree that it used to be that way, also that it does seem there's a little less tolerance from some more experienced members. I also agree that nobody has to accept the kind of aggressive treatment from new or old members, it should be reported asap and usually is. I try to report (if I cannot delete) or moderate where I see such occurrences. Current and experienced members shouldn't return volley and sink to the new offender's level either. That makes those very members no better than the harasser and infractions can and will still be earned for such behavior. Some of those new users also aren't always "new" members...but some are, and just join to harass. We do try to catch and handle it as soon as we see it. Don't let them get to you is really what I suggest...isn't worth it.

If it gets to the point you have to say it happens in every thread as you did above, I'd think it might be time to step away from the section where you find yourself most annoyed to that extent, it isn't worth it to let it get to you and I'm sorry if you feel that way.

If someone offends you, don't go sink to their level and offend them or use their tactics against them, be the better person and stay constructive if you do continue on the topic (staying on topic too BTW), report it and move on, ignore them (forum ignore or just scroll on past), or step away from the forums until you can collect your cool. That's really the best suggestion I can provide to members here that find themselves annoyed or offended. None of that drama is really worth your time, nor proves anything worse of you for choosing to not give it attention. In-fact that would be more respectable than dragging it on and on IMHO.

We can't keep 100% of members happy and away from 100% of the negative and annoying shit that happens around here, but that doesn't stop us from trying to do our best. We could all exercise some self control and positive/constructive posting manners which would likely reduce a noticeable amount of the drama that unfolds more frequently around here. Using some of what they used to call netiquette and simply respecting each other.

I'd like to challenge everyone on this forum to try harder towards that goal, working together, supporting others, not sinking to an aggressor's level, continuing to report offenses, understanding that the mods are on your guys' side and we're doing our best to keep the peace for the best of TPU and its community. I love this place and my goal is to help keep it a great place to visit and enjoy within my abilities as a member of the community and a moderator of a few sections. But it all starts at the member level and we all have a big choice in how that is handled, either good or bad. It is a decision, no different then choosing to decide to join this forum as a member.

:toast:
i recall why i join TPU
less flaming, bullying and whatever you call it and more comfortable than next door forums or my local forums.
i guess its not on moderators side only to keep this forums clean
we have to face that few just join us to be a troll, acting like know everything, got best hardwares etc etc
just dont feed them, leave them talking by himself or reporting them:toast::D:rockout::lovetpu:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
i am just as guilty as the next guy when it comes to being a douche. but even I have noticed a increase in um lets call them reddit-trash, ya know people that join and spend hours having a interrilble vrs amdumb flamewars and posting replies to threads with solutions they they pulled from the first result of google

and nobody should be banned for calling somebody thats blatantly disregarded all the sound advice and gone and done as they pleased and broke something because of it A moron some people ARE morons some people ARE idiots act like one get treated like one

People get offended way too easily being politically correct is over-rated

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
and nobody should be banned for calling somebody thats blatantly disregarded all the sound advice and gone and done as they pleased and broke something because of it A moron some people ARE morons some people ARE idiots act like one get treated like one

People get offended way too easily being politically correct is over-rated

As I says to qubit, had you bothered to read the thread, such attitudes/actions will not be tolerated. It is much easier if you just walk away! Longstanding member or not, we will delete posts and warn those who continue to think they are on some special quest to insult/attack others on TPU.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Well the thread title tells me someone is accusing someone of passing gas. The question is who? The answer is to quietly get up and walk away before you make an ass of yourself. :nutkick:

2cp

Most people I know like to speak their mind but few consider other feelings when they speak loudly. I look at some people as just trying to up their post count, while not really saying anything worth reading. Then there are those that try to lighten the mood of a thread with silly antics, while not contributing to the thread directly, their posts usually get removed without notice, something i am fine with. I have no issues with mods as long as they can keep their sense of humor.

Speaking of youz Mods, they should have more of a presence in the TPU chat, assuming @Toothless will let them in.:p TPU chat is not being used as much as it could be, maybe the rules are too strict for many, idk. Live chat beats waiting for email/threads anyday.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
As I says to qubit, had you bothered to read the thread, such attitudes/actions will not be tolerated. It is much easier if you just walk away! Longstanding member or not, we will delete posts and warn those who continue to think they are on some special quest to insult/attack others on TPU.

and yet you don't bother with any of the people accually causing harm by posting FUD or going on and on for hours about MAH Vendor is tehb3st ,calling somebody a idiot over a forum doesn't hurt anybody, telling somebody to nuke there bios because there system is BSODing is anouther matter

this thread doesn't need to exist the bottom line is there is no good reason to get butthurt over something said on a tech forum nor should people be overly concerned with somebody being a ass

assholes are like opinions everybody has one and they all think theirs doesn't stink

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
this thread doesn't need to exist the bottom line is there is no good reason to get butthurt over something said on a tech forum nor should people be overly concerned with somebody being a ass

assholes are like opinions everybody has one and they all think theirs doesn't stink

excellent example of thread topic! what are you butthurt over? The Doctor is in.:eek::D:p

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
@OneMoar First, you know better than to double post. Secondly, your attitude here and in many threads stinks. If you cannot be polite to others without the drama, as you imply you will continue to post, it is highly likely you will find the door sooner rather than later.

This thread should exist, as it is a reminder to what TPU is all about, and always was. What I find ironic is most of those causing a ruckus here are the ones who would benefit most from an attitude adjustment.

I like how everyone wants to pass ill will on the fact that twelve mods cannot be in all ok the 200,000 threads or read all of the 3.5 million posts. This is why we have a report feature. We cannot see it all and read it all. Also, keep in mind, just because you feel it may not fit for this site, we do comment to each other and make decisions looking from the outside, impartially.

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Sticky for posterity :)????

People obviously won't read it, and if they do, our problem children will continue to be even if it was stuck.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
which is exactly why I piped up because I knew there are couple on here that would take the ops complaint and run with it

you can call it entitlement I don't care

my bone starts and ends with people that invest a huge chunk of there time helping people unbreak there stuff should indeed receive preferential treatment to those that spam the same old tired logic over and over its a huge time sink to provide 'free' advice especially when you are helping somebody technically challenged . you say walk away from a thread well that isn't always a option if the person being a `'idiot'` isn't the op and is just confusing the issue

if you want a real example of a toxic-elitest forum go vist TOMS or hard-forum there is nothing wrong with techpowerup other then a influx of the usual summer-kids

idealism is nice so is being patient,those that deal with the public for a living know its untenable
./thread

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
which is exactly why I piped up because I knew there are couple on here that would take the ops complaint and run with it

you can call it entitlement I don't care

my bone starts and ends with people that invest a huge chunk of there time helping people unbreak there stuff should indeed receive preferential treatment to those that spam the same old tired logic over and over its a huge time sink to provide 'free' advice especially when you are helping somebody technically challenged . you say walk away from a thread well that isn't always a option if the person being a `'idiot'` isn't the op and is just confusing the issue

if you want a real example of a toxic-elitest forum go vist TOMS or hard-forum there is nothing wrong with techpowerup other then a influx of the usual summer-kids

idealism is nice so is being patient,those that deal with the public for a living know its untenable
./thread

If you had read the thread, it was addressed. If you want praise for helping, go somewhere else. Also, no, nobody gets special treatment because they help more than others. Pretty sure that is what being entitled is all about. Anything you do, or continue to do which is against the rules at TPU will end with a vacation most likely.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@qubit, I think you assume we are passing ill will your way, which is not the case. In just about every report to hit the lounge, there is lengthy discussion where mods have input as to what to do, even those outside of the section being reported. We come to a democratic resolution to such reports, and sometimes that decision is to do nothing at all!

On another note, help should not need praise or anything from the recipient to make you feel all warm and fuzzy. You provide the help, and they either take it and learn, or they ignore it, and you learn to remove yourself from that thread. As they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. ;)

Not ill will, but indifference and that can be more or less as bad. That post I reported, I have no idea what went on behind the scenes, all that matters is that it was totally ignored, which I don't think is acceptable. Whoever read it knows that I didn't make it frivolously from what I was saying and from what they know of me on here. At least have the decency to pm me and let me know why it's gonna stay. Yeah, it might generate some conversation and disagreement, but so what? You're just making it worse for me to make it more convenient for you and that's actually quite selfish. That's why you don't get total cooperation from myself and other members on "just report it and let you guys handle it" when a member is out of order. Why should I when mods won't have my back? Cuts both ways, bud. What you don't realise is that it would actually make mods' lives easier if they did this, because of that increased cooperation.

At least I can say that I get less of this BS directed at me lately from the usual suspects and then projecting it on me as if I'm the one causing drama, so I guess that the mods are stamping down on it more in general, which is good to see.

Actually, expecting a little appreciation for helping out is right and proper, I think you're wrong there. I make sure to never help those ungrateful douchebags again. In contrast, the few times I post a help me thread (eg my data backup one recently) I make sure to thank everyone for helping me whether I take their advice or not and reply to many of the posts, with the ones that I didn't reply to getting covered in a general statement. That's treating members who are taking time out to try and help me with the proper respect and appreciation. That's the standard, give or take a bit, that I expect from others and isn't so unreasonable. It's just being nice. That they often don't, yeah we know.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
The forum has video card Bios posted to help people, then they join the site n post up for help. Only to get kicked in the nuts, by some ego stroker that asks them why they did such a stupid thing.......
This is how a forum attracts new people. Calling them names cause they tried to flash a bios is sealing the door shut.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
The forum has video card Bios posted to help people, then they join the site n post up for help. Only to get kicked in the nuts, by some ego stroker that asks them why they did such a stupid thing.......
This is how a forum attracts new people. Calling them names cause they tried to flash a bios is sealing the door shut.

Thats not always true, it does happen but not all the time. But i guess remembering one bad thing outweighs everything else according to this statement. Some of the OPs that posted for that kind of help usually decayed to name calling level, it never started out that way.

Saying someone was silly for doing this or that is not the same as calling them stupid as some people on TPU would assume and argue.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Not ill will, but indifference and that can be more or less as bad. That post I reported, I have no idea what went on behind the scenes, all that matters is that it was totally ignored, which I don't think is acceptable. Whoever read it knows that I didn't make it frivolously from what I was saying and from what they know of me on here. At least have the decency to pm me and let me know why it's gonna stay. Yeah, it might generate some conversation and disagreement, but so what? You're just making it worse for me to make it more convenient for you and that's actually quite selfish. That's why you don't get total cooperation from myself and other members on "just report it and let you guys handle it" when a member is out of order. Why should I when mods won't have my back? Cuts both ways, bud. What you don't realise is that it would actually make mods' lives easier if they did this, because of that increased cooperation.

Actually, expecting a little appreciation for helping out is right and proper, I think you're wrong there. I make sure to never help those ungrateful douchebags again. In contrast, the few times I post a help me thread (eg my data backup one recently) I make sure to thank everyone for helping me whether I take their advice or not and reply to many of the posts, with the ones that I didn't reply to getting covered in a general statement. That's treating members who are taking time out to try and help me with the proper respect and appreciation. That's the standard, give or take a bit, that I expect from others and isn't so unreasonable. It's just being nice. That they often don't, yeah we know.

Let me take this point by point...

That post you reported, was not ignored, you just did not get the reaction "you" felt it deserved. We do not, and will not, divulge what is said in the mod lounge, hence why it is said in the mod lounge. Consider it the Las Vegas of TPU. Therfore, it would be out of line to PM you and discuss what we feel is the most pertinent action to a report.

Making it worse for you? Possibly, but it is because you feel slighted, due to the fact that you feel you are always in the right, which nobody is always perfect. W1zzard has put us (moderators) in a position of trust. Your angle is that he makes bad calls as to who he leaves to scoop the poop all day, when he could, on a whim, remove any of the moderators at will. He does read and check in on the mod lounge, and if he felt we were off in our process, he would and has added suggestions when needed.

It isn't always about "having your back," it is about doing what is right, regardless of the reporters perspective of a situation.

Just because you feel you deserve more than what our job description states we are to offer, does not make it the rule. We simply do not have all the time in the world to cater to each individual ego. We help for free, take flack most times, get no warm and fuzzy feelings for what we do, yet we still come back day after day to help again.

Again, expecting more than a thanks is taking it too far when helping others.

Where in that definition does it address compensation?

Then, as you are trying to convey a point, you drop in "douchebags" which negates any love I may have had to try to appease you in this matter. Simply put, they are members, and this rampant labeling of members is part of why this thread got started.

It is awesome that you thank those that helped, but it is not a rule for those you help to reciprocate. If you are here for the thanks count, maybe you should address your priorities in life. There is no standard, only the guidelines, which is what we are asking members to reread, follow, and abide by to make this a more polite and helpful site.

Status
Not open for further replies.