• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The AMD Phenom II OC'ers Club

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
No problem. :toast:

It's always best to follow manufacturers instructions (usually). ;)

Regarding HDT coolers, it actually depends on the cooler. On a Xiggy S1283/DK the 2 line method on the HS works best. But on a Sunbeam Core Contact, the pea method still works best.

Please see above with your crazy eyes :eek:

If you're not using an HDT cooler the pea method usually works best. But the key is, you have to apply enough force to make it spread. This especially holds true for the thicker TIM's like ICD7, OCZ Freeze, AS5, etc.

I was part of the test bed for IC Diamond 7 at another forum and that was the most frequent problem when using it. I believe the guy from IC said that almost 80 lbs. of force is required to get it to spread when it's room temp. Putting in a cup of boiling hot water for 5 minutes helps it become more viscous.

Also, from my experience with AMD's, all of their IHS are concave.

This is stuff we all know about already. ;) With HDT's I like to rub in some TIM first in the cracks and do the 2 line method myself. :pimp: You are usually going to get different results for different coolers. IHS's can sometimes not be flat. Trail and error, whatever works best for me is the way I do it. I just wish we had nice TIM like MX-2 twenty years ago.

I do wish cooler manufacturers were more informative on how they would like you to apply TIM. That's why I mentioned the Heatkiller. Not only do they tell you exactly what they want you to do as far as applying TIM, they tell you to get the micrometer out to measure the screw in length for proper mounting!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Extreme 6
Cooling Thermalright Venemous X
Memory 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 480
Storage A-Data 128GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) HANNspree 25" 1080p 2ms
Case Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) Creative XFI
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 750w
Software Win 7 pro x64
With my cooler, lapped Thermaltake Big Typhoon, and my lapped CPU I use the white pigeon poop paste because it's so thin. :D Works better than every other TIM I've tried.

EDIT:
I do wish cooler manufacturers were more informative on how they would like you to apply TIM. That's why I mentioned the Heatkiller. Not only do they tell you exactly what they want you to do as far as applying TIM, they tell you to get the micrometer out to measure the screw in length for proper mounting!

Yeah, most manufacturers are pretty vague. I wish there was a better way of gauging how tight cooler need to be. Something like a torque spec (I'm a grease monkey BTW).

Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
With my cooler, lapped Thermaltake Big Typhoon, and my lapped CPU I use the white pigeon poop paste because it's so thin. :D Works better than every other TIM I've tried.

Lol, that's hillarious! When I first got into building computers I'd always call that stuff bird poop!:laugh:

Kei

System Name ...no name yet
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800x3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-E Wi-Fi
Cooling EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux-D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 6000Mhz CL36 32GB (2x16)
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
Storage 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD, twin 2TB Samsung nvme drives
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS gsync 2k
Case Thermaltake P5 wall mounted and backlit with Corsair lighting node pro
Power Supply EVGA P3 1000w
Mouse Logitech G9x (awesome!)
Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 698s/7465m (7800x3D result)
lol, I use Artic Silver Ceramique with every build (much like bird poop lol)

I usually mount and remount whatever HSF I have a few times to see how the material work out before a 'final' mounting. 99.999999% of the time I just apply the material directly to the CPU itself and thin it out over the entire surface which has provided me the best results of all.

I don't use a lot of compound regardless of the HSF to avoid turning it into an insulator. I also pay VERY close attention to the flatness of both the CPU and HSF using a razor blade as well as how the paste contacts the two surfaces after applying normal mounting pressures.

Depending on the results of those two tests I decide whether or not I'm going to lap one or both of the surfaces. If it contacts on at least 50-70% then I'll run for a while, but think about lapping though not a top priority as long as the main concentration of that was in the center. If on the other hand much like my current setup (CM V8 + PII 955) there is only 25-40% then there is no question that I will be lapping both surfaces.

The contact area of these two components was FAR from optimal in my instance regardless of how the TIM was applied, so I had no choice but to lap both. After lapping they now offer a fantastic surface area to deal with cooling the processor. You get that nice suction from having no air voids as well since both surfaces are nice and flat. :toast:

I'm a pretty big fan of lapping, just make sure you...

1) Don't care about warranty on both/either because the moment you start it's voided.

2) Take photos of the processor information (stepping, model number, etc.) for when you want to sell it...piece of mind goes a LONG way to a buyer. ;)

3) Don't freak out when you put the two together, then try to remove them after the first mounting and it's HARD to seperate the two of them due to the vacuum effect. Don't pull harder...you'll just rip the socket out of the board (bad), just take your time and if you have to apply a little heat. Best way is to use the machine for a few minutes, then shut down after it's warmed up, and you can remove it a bit easier.

Kei

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
sadly i was unable to put up enough of a good offer for a 965 :toast: to the owner for at least considering it tho guess ill wait awhile longer and see how things change in the coming weeks

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel i7 3770K
Case Lian Li PC-9F
Software Win 7 pro x64
lol, I use Artic Silver Ceramique with every build (much like bird poop lol)

I usually mount and remount whatever HSF I have a few times to see how the material work out before a 'final' mounting. 99.999999% of the time I just apply the material directly to the CPU itself and thin it out over the entire surface which has provided me the best results of all.

I don't use a lot of compound regardless of the HSF to avoid turning it into an insulator. I also pay VERY close attention to the flatness of both the CPU and HSF using a razor blade as well as how the paste contacts the two surfaces after applying normal mounting pressures.

Depending on the results of those two tests I decide whether or not I'm going to lap one or both of the surfaces. If it contacts on at least 50-70% then I'll run for a while, but think about lapping though not a top priority as long as the main concentration of that was in the center. If on the other hand much like my current setup (CM V8 + PII 955) there is only 25-40% then there is no question that I will be lapping both surfaces.

The contact area of these two components was FAR from optimal in my instance regardless of how the TIM was applied, so I had no choice but to lap both. After lapping they now offer a fantastic surface area to deal with cooling the processor. You get that nice suction from having no air voids as well since both surfaces are nice and flat. :toast:

I'm a pretty big fan of lapping, just make sure you...

1) Don't care about warranty on both/either because the moment you start it's voided.

2) Take photos of the processor information (stepping, model number, etc.) for when you want to sell it...piece of mind goes a LONG way to a buyer. ;)

3) Don't freak out when you put the two together, then try to remove them after the first mounting and it's HARD to seperate the two of them due to the vacuum effect. Don't pull harder...you'll just rip the socket out of the board (bad), just take your time and if you have to apply a little heat. Best way is to use the machine for a few minutes, then shut down after it's warmed up, and you can remove it a bit easier.

Kei

I use a machinists straight edge (which is round) to measure it. If I can get a thin piece of paper to go under it then it needs to be lapped. Which IMO, is every CPU :p

Obviously not all of us have a machinists straight edge to measure the warp in the IHS; you can actually use a smooth pen to do the same.

There's a few things to remember when doing it though.
  • 1. The pen MUST be smooth. Any irregularities like writing, even the stuff "painted" or printed on will make it inaccurate.
  • 2. Roll the pen on a smooth surface to check for warp. If either end of the pen move up and down, you'll need a new one.
  • 3. The paper you should use should be as cheap as possible. Reason being is that it's thinner, typically .001-.003" thick. If you can't find any you can use one of your own hairs, which is .003".
  • 4. Lay then pen across the IHS but DO NOT apply ANY pressure. Even the slightest bit can cause the pen to bow, it is plastic after all. Your fingers are there just to keep it from moving.
  • 5. Then slide the paper underneath. You should measure the IHS in all of these angles |, \, -, / .
A machinists straight edge is pretty much the same thing as the pen except it's metal.

At any rate, if the paper slides underneath unobstructed, IMO, it should be lapped.

And one more awesome thing about lapping, it exposes the copper which has much better heat transference properties than that coating they put on the IHS's.

Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh, WQHD Computer Monito
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
I seem to be getting much better temps now. I used the Pea method but not only that, I used less. I came from the world of i7 where the IHS is bigger and you need to use slightly more TIM. I guess I still had not let go of that concept when applying it on my PH II. Temps have dropped about 5ºc just by doing that. :toast:

I'll try the spread method as that is what Prolimatech recommends anyways. I'll keep you guys posted.

System Name "I2I3 Overclocking Team"
Processor Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Stoock
Memory G.SKILLl Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Geforce 9800gx2 EVGA
Storage Sansung 500GB
Display(s) LG
Case Box motherboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores Hunt3r
I seem to be getting much better temps now. I used the Pea method but not only that, I used less. I came from the world of i7 where the IHS is bigger and you need to use slightly more TIM. I guess I still had not let go of that concept when applying it on my PH II. Temps have dropped about 5ºc just by doing that. :toast:

I'll try the spread method as that is what Prolimatech recommends anyways. I'll keep you guys posted.

How do you get the i7 .. did you see much difference between him and the 965 and you are happier

Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh, WQHD Computer Monito
Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
How do you get the i7 .. did you see much difference between him and the 965 and you are happier

Bro the Phenom II feels quicker than the i7 but the i7 was awesome for benching. :D

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel i7 3770K
Case Lian Li PC-9F
Software Win 7 pro x64

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Bro the Phenom II feels quicker than the i7 but the i7 was awesome for benching. :D

Benchmarks are good n all but i go for realworld performance, thats what made me switch from Intel to AMD back in the day.

Cooling Stoock
Storage Sansung 500GB
Display(s) LG
Case Box motherboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores Hunt3r
I think for those who like benching will always go intel

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
going from a 2.4 Pentium 4 to a 2.2 athlon xp was night and day, the AXP was overall quicker.

Cooling Stoock
Storage Sansung 500GB
Display(s) LG
Case Box motherboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores Hunt3r
going from a 2.4 Pentium 4 to a 2.2 athlon xp was night and day, the AXP was overall quicker.

That was a years .. now things have changed

Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
hmm got luck earned a bit more money gonna send theonedub 1 last ditch offer for a Phenom II 965 i probably should make the offer but i just cant stand my 940BE anymore i think its my motherboard and ram causing the errors and limiting my stable overclock ie pass LinX at 3600cpu 2400nb multiple times yet cant play a game so i know the chip has OC room up the wazoo if the times taken to balance it and get it there anyway hopefully i can come up with something to get the 965 :roll: i refuse to call it quits haha

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
benchmark vs real world perf, sort of like Driving a vehicle actually vs what its rating is.

Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
benchmark vs real world perf, sort of like Driving a vehicle actually vs what its rating is.

Not bashing the i7, I loved it. Realword performance is unreal as well, but the AMD just feels snappier. I don't know why but I love it.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well i wonder is it possible for a person to hibernate for 5 weeks?? anybody know ? :roll:

Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well i cant wait .... and 5 weeks is a long wait when your impatient ive got about as much patience as a mouse watching the cheese on a mouse trap he knows he shouldnt that he should be patient let another mouse get killed and he can take the cheese sadly i cant wait so id go for the proverbial cheese anyway :roll: and kersplat thus why i want to hibernate that way nothing bad happens :toast:

Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
well i cant wait .... and 5 weeks is a long wait when your impatient ive got about as much patience as a mouse watching the cheese on a mouse trap he knows he shouldnt that he should be patient let another mouse get killed and he can take the cheese sadly i cant wait so id go for the proverbial cheese anyway :roll: and kersplat thus why i want to hibernate that way nothing bad happens :toast:

Why do you want to hibernate again?

jjFarking

System Name Frankenstein C3
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965BE C3
Motherboard Asus M4A79T DeLuxe
Cooling Aywun A1-V10
Memory Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (2x2GB @ 1333MHz)
Video Card(s) XFX HD 5850 @ 775/1125
Storage Seagate 250gb/500gb/1tb
Display(s) BENQ E2200HD
Case Thermaltake Element S (VK60001W2Z)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Zalman ZM600-HP
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
Think of all the food & toilet paper you'll save whilst hibernating!
:roll:

Reactions: Kei
Case Phanteks NV7
Software Windows 11 Pro
Think of all the food & toilet paper you'll save whilst hibernating!
:roll:

he'll then have money saved up to buy the AM3 setup he wants so bad. :D

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
its a secret CP

and not only toilet paper and food imagine the awesome dreams id be hibernating dreaming all kinds of crazy stuff and id save some trees a cow or 2 lol