• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Carmack-ZeniMax Odyssey Carries On - Carmack Files $22.5 Million Lawsuit

System Name Home built desktop
Processor AMD FX 8350 @4.2 ghz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth FX990 rev2
Cooling Corsair Hydra h100i
Memory 16 GB Corsair vengeance 1866
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX 8 GB
Storage Sandisk 240GB SSD, WD 2TB HDD/SSD hybrid X2, 1TB 2.5 HDD
Display(s) Hanns-G HL-273, 1080p, 23inch
Case Corsair carbide air 540
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800
Mouse Roccat kone xtd
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb red
Software Windows 10 64
Benchmark Scores [url=https://valid.x86.fr/ht3bz6][img]https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/ht3bz6-6.png[/img][/url]
I bet ZeniMax are hardly QUAKING in there boots over this law suite... They are probably smug in the belief that Carmack's case is DOOMED. Don't be so sure ZeniMax, Carmack is a WOLFENSTIEN in sheep's clothing...
I'll get my coat...

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX
Really? :kookoo:
And exactly what loyalty do you think Carmack will show you for taking his side?

People getting their shorts in a twist about a matter that doesn't concern them or make one difference in their lives is absolutely funny. :roll:

So I should base my opinion around what someone would show me in return? (your level of superficial thinking is stunning)

Carmacks impact on the development of 3D engines and his practice have defined pc-gaming and the way these are built. Acting like a smart guy by trying to insulting people online is what you have achieved and your statements serves as an humiliation and exposure of your own lack of understanding.

PS. in regard to your last comment i chuckled; It can be used of anything not immediate relevant to ANYONE at anytime and just serves as page-filler. Good Job on that as well!

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
So I should base my opinion around what someone would show me in return? (your level of superficial thinking is stunning)
No. Get over yourself. That's not what my comment means. It means that your level of personally being vested in it is ludicrous and screams fanaticism, as if you feel your opinion for him will matter in the least to him. It all seems to be based on his word being infallible. Remember, you weren't there, so it's he said, she said.

I understand his role, and also understand he is one cog in that wheel of history. Spend less time being a rabid fanatic and more time enjoying life and you will realize your level of anger at this is something that should be saved for something that truly affects you. Otherwise you're likely to not live to enjoy old age.

Life is too fleeting to let something as Carmack's claimed treatment by Zenimax to bother you.

Last edited:

deu

Processor AMD 3900X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Mouse G403
Benchmark Scores XX
No. Get over yourself. That's not what my comment means. It means that your level of personally being vested in it is ludicrous and screams fanaticism, as if you feel your opinion for him will matter in the least to him. It all seems to be based on his word being infallible. Remember, you weren't there, so it's he said, she said.

I understand his role, and also understand he is one cog in that wheel of history. Spend less time being a rabid fanatic and more time enjoying life and you will realize your level of anger at this is something that should be saved for something that truly affects you. Otherwise you're likely to not live to enjoy old age.

Life is too fleeting to let something as Carmack's claimed treatment by Zenimax to bother you.

Dude; You know nothing about me and yet you assume that I am just even close to be a fanatic just goes to show that you have no comprehension of what that word means. Just because you read 1½ line comment and think you know who people are doesnt make you dr phil. Trying to cast the situation just make you look like an interwarrior. There is nothing fanatic about saying no to something; making a decision is a grown up thing to do. (they do it outside in the real world too)

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
There is nothing fanatic about saying no to something; making a decision is a grown up thing to do. (they do it outside in the real world too)

Except.you didn't "just say 'no'"

deu

Processor AMD 3900X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Mouse G403
Benchmark Scores XX
Except.you didn't "just say 'no'"

If it somewhat helps you understand next time in that situation I'll do a double. I know some people need it in either black or white and you must be one of them! No to ZeniMax (happy?) Good, move on.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
If it somewhat helps you understand next time in that situation I'll do a double. I know some people need it in either black or white and you must be one of them! No to ZeniMax (happy?) Good, move on.

I'm glad you have so few real world problems such that Carmack's lawsuit gets you so worked up. I wish most of the world could be so fortunate and have that luxury.

I won't be moving on though. Been here since the early days and will be here years from now.

Processor Intel i7 4960x Ivy-Bridge E @ 4.6 Ghz @ 1.42V
Motherboard x79 AsRock Extreme 11.0
Cooling EK Supremacy Copper Waterblock
Memory 65.5 GBs Corsair Platinum Kit @ 666.7Mhz
Video Card(s) PCIe 3.0 x16 -- Asus GTX Titan Maxwell
Storage Samsung 840 500GBs + OCZ Vertex 4 500GBs 2x 1TB Samsung 850
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Zbrush, 3Dmax, Maya, Softimage, Vue, Sony Vegas Pro, Acid, Soundforge, Adobe Aftereffects, Photoshop
Translation:

Carmack sold ID software to ZeniMax, but ZeniMax didn't completely pay him for the sale and purchase of ID Software. In response, Carmack steals property from ZeniMax. Years later, Carmack develops Oculus using some of the intellectual property stolen from ZeniMax, and ZeniMax feels that they should get a cut from their intellectual property being used in Oculus products. ZeniMax sued Carmack, and money was awarded to ZeniMax for copyright infringement, false designation, and violating an NDA agreement. Now Carmack is counter-suing because ZeniMax didn't follow in good faith, their sales agreement for ID Softwares.

I am not cheering for Carmack, but I feel his cause to fight ZeniMax is just to an extent. My next question would be what is the statue of limitations to pursue a case on the sales of ID Software, and why didn't Carmack pursue his case sooner if a large some of money wasn't awarded to Carmack as agreed in their sales contract. ZeniMax not paying Carmack for ID Software is a play out of Donald Trump's "Art of the Deal" playbook: Don't pay your bills after the service is rendered to the customer in good faith.

deu

Processor AMD 3900X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Mouse G403
Benchmark Scores XX
I'm glad you have so few real world problems such that Carmack's lawsuit gets you so worked up. I wish most of the world could be so fortunate and have that luxury.

I won't be moving on though. Been here since the early days and will be here years from now.

Trying to make me seem ignorante to the rest of the world problems ; bravo! The only one here is you over me posting that I will not support ZeniMax. No-one said you should ragequit the site; just stop writing to me.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Translation:

Carmack sold ID software to ZeniMax, but ZeniMax didn't completely pay him for the sale and purchase of ID Software. In response, Carmack steals property from ZeniMax. Years later, Carmack develops Oculus using some of the intellectual property stolen from ZeniMax, and ZeniMax feels that they should get a cut from their intellectual property being used in Oculus products. ZeniMax sued Carmack, and money was awarded to ZeniMax for copyright infringement, false designation, and violating an NDA agreement. Now Carmack is counter-suing because ZeniMax didn't follow in good faith, their sales agreement for ID Softwares.

I am not cheering for Carmack, but I feel his cause to fight ZeniMax is just to an extent. My next question would be what is the statue of limitations to pursue a case on the sales of ID Software, and why didn't Carmack pursue his case sooner if a large some of money wasn't awarded to Carmack as agreed in their sales contract. ZeniMax not paying Carmack for ID Software is a play out of Donald Trump's "Art of the Deal" playbook: Don't pay your bills after the service is rendered to the customer in good faith.

A nice, thoughtful and reasoned assessment. :) It seems likely there was illegal and unethical behavior by both parties.

Last edited:
Wait, wait, John Carmack has to google how to wipe a hard drive? Ffs, can those idiots be more obvious when lying about Carmack?

Whatever nerdy Carmack did after RTCW might be interesting for him (and I don't doubt it), but it certainly isn't interesting for me.

I bet ZeniMax are hardly QUAKING in there boots over this law suite... They are probably smug in the belief that Carmack's case is DOOMED. Don't be so sure ZeniMax, Carmack is a WOLFENSTIEN in sheep's clothing...
I'll get my coat...

Wow, you're KEEN aren't you :p

Anyone that is an enemy of this man is an enemy of me. John Carmack have created 3D PC gaming and have kept innovating it. Besides that he is one of the most brilliant people in the industy. F*** Zeni! No more playing your games!
Carmack didn't invent 3D games or the first person shooter, but he was at the right place at the right time to widely popularize it in ways that it had never before been. That said you could say the same thing about any new FPS game today they are in a position to be more popular than games of the past because the hardware is better and the audience base today is larger everything is more accessible and cheaper.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_War

deu

Processor AMD 3900X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Mouse G403
Benchmark Scores XX
Carmack didn't invent 3D games or the first person shooter, but he was at the right place at the right time to widely popularize it in ways that it had never before been. That said you could say the same thing about any new FPS game today they are in a position to be more popular than games of the past because the hardware is better and the audience base today is larger everything is more accessible and cheaper.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_War

If you read through my comments I elaborate on my claim :) Im not trying to insinuate that he created FPS but he created the dominant engine structure that have set the bar way and goal for the future FPSes. Also He is without a doubt on of the brightest minded in the industry and his relentlessness when it comes to solving engine problematics is admirable. That and ZeniMax seeming so arrogant seals the deal.

I'm not that impressed with Carmack myself to me he merely expanded on stuff like Maze Wars/Midi Maze and games he was inspired by that were inspired by games like that from the 70's. He didn't create the dominant engine structure he expanded it, but he's not alone in doing that. You look at a modern FPS and it doesn't feel like wolfenstein, quake, or doom at all for example in large part crouch, prone, lean, environmental construction/deconstruction elements, surveillance, class structures, objectives, ect...just to name a few things Carmack wasn't exactly responsible in modern FPS games that were added and expanded upon from the basic Maze Wars 3D FPS prototype of seek and destroy search and shoot. So yeah Carmack tweaked the arrow key directions to add infinite degrees of rotation and added a strafe element beefed up the networking further along with bolstered graphics about 20 years after Maze Wars big deal technology advanced real impressive stuff. Why would praise him for being at the right place and the right time to really popularize it on a much larger scale and for profit over the guys from the 70's that set the whole damn thing motion and in the case of Maze Wars probably didn't even profit off of it?