1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The CM 690 II Advanced Case Thread

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Wrigleyvillain, Jan 24, 2010.

1. destinyair

destinyair

Thanks Received:
    Upz !!!

2. Hotobu

Hotobu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I'm very interested in this case, have a few questions, and it looks like this is the place to ask

First off I'd like to know if two 140 mm fans can be installed with the HD cage in, or if I have to not use 1 or both of them if I want the cage in.

Also I'd like to know how the LED on/off switch works. Is this a proprietary feature that only works with the installed fan, or will I be able to hook another fan to it and still be able to flip the lights? Is it possible I can daisy chain fans to the switch to turn them off as well?

Next I know that there's a dust film cover made for the PSU. It seems a bit silly of them to put it between the PSU and case. How well do you all think it'd function if I put it below the case?

Which of the fan holes do not have dust filters?

Finally do I have to be concerned with fan thickness anywhere? Coolermaster's site has the face dimensions for the fans well documented, but I want to make sure I don't get a fan that's too fat.

Oh and one last thing not related to this case specifically. Does anyone know where I can go to find single color "breathing" LED fans? (preferably on Newegg). I did a preliminary search on Newegg and didn't find any.

Thanks so much in advance for the replies. I'm pretty sure this is the case that I'm going to get no matter what, but it'd be nice to know these things ahead of time.

3. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I will answer your questions as well as I can Hotobu:

1.) If you are referring to the bottom of the chassis, only one fan can be installed with the HDD cage installed. If you are referring to the front of the chassis, one can be installed in front of the HDD cage, and one behind it;

2.) The LED switch is hard wired to the fan that is installed. However it is not difficult to splice it to a different fan. I have mine wired to my CCFL lights;

3.) The dust filter for the PSU works well as it sits, I do not know how you would install it below the chassis, unless you used sticky tape or something like that;

4.) The only intakes that do not have dust filters are the side intakes;

5.) Any standard fan should work, 38mm will be too thick for the front, but other than that you should be ok...The fan slot behind the MB tray will only accept a thin fan...25mm is too thick;

Hope this helps you out. This case is pretty amazing, and probably one of the best I have ever owned, especially for the price.

Good Luck. :toast:

Hotobu says thanks.
  4. Hotobu

Hotobu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the quick reply that answers pretty much all of my questions. As for the case itself it's pretty much everything I was looking for. I must've spent 6+ hours looking at features, specs, videos, and thinking about what I did and didn't want. This one looks to be pretty much perfect. The only flaw that I can find with it is that you can't put two fans in the front. This would be better for looks, and for making sure that air is going across all the HDs. Still a single 140 with another in the back and another in the bottom should get me the same HD temps +/- like 2 degrees.

I'm not familliar with CCFL lighting. I'm thinking that may be a little overboard for what I want to do, but can you link me to either some picks/merchandise/how to's. I'd like to at least consider it before I say no. Right now about the most I want are the breathing LEDs

5. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I am using a pair of these. I just replaced with switch that comes with it with the one in the case. If you want to stick with LEDs, I would recommend one of these.

Hope this helps. :toast:

6. Hotobu

Hotobu New Member

Thanks Received:
    One more concern.

I'll be putting 6 HDs in this thing and I happened across a few people who commented on the tooless HD mounting design making that part of the case vibrate a bit causing noise. Can anyone who has a lot of HDs confirm or deny this?

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry i cant help, i only run three internally, and about 12 externally (e-sata mostly).

I do have some random case vibration, but i removed that HDD area so it impossible for me to say how bad that gets.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Also removed the HDD cage, running two that I don't even hear they're in.

9. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Running two here, no vibration whatsoever.

10. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Anyone install a dual 5.25" bay res in this thing? I will obviously have to bend a set of the alignment tabs down and in and wondering how tough that is gonna be first and foremost I guess...