• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Conroe865PE thread... for AGP users... stock and mod

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Are you saying that this hard drive is not fully compatible with this mothreboard?
I'm saying that you've been told that the mobo can't do UDMA 6. Did you not read @rtwjunkie's post? There are also others on there too telling you the same thing.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Exactly. I've just tried without the cap into the pins but the hard drive misses the UDMA 6 (I've also charged the optimal default config into the BIOS in vain). Perhaps I should CLEAR the CMOS.

I actually hope you can succeed. It would expand our knowledge base about this board! I just wish I had kept it.

I'm saying that you've been told that the mobo can't do UDMA 6. Did you not read @rtwjunkie's post? There are also others on there too telling you the same thing.
thanks for explanation I tried this information online in vain. So it is chipset limitation although HD info into bios correctly reports UDMA6 and UDMA bios option makes UDMA6 available (this possibility should have been hided so to avoid misunderstandings). Thanks a lot.

EDIT: this answer form Gigabyte confirms: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq-page.aspx?fid=342

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
No, I had it operative in another motherboard getting UDMA 6 enabled besides it is the WD CAVIAR BLUE 500GB SATA II I've plugged the cap into the 5-6 jumper so to match the sata I specification.

WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US THIS INFO BEFORE?! We are not psychic here.

Anyways just remember AsRock in the day was soley a budget/mainstream maker maker, So quality controls weren't there, they left udma6 moniker in there by mistake. Rtwjunkie stated no matter what drive you put in even If it supports udma 6, it will not run at that mode. I'm also unaware if there was a specific cable needed for this...

ONE LAST THING, use the multiquote button and do not triple post.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
thanks for explanation I tried this information online in vain. So it is chipset limitation although HD info into bios correctly reports UDMA6 and UDMA bios option makes UDMA6 available (this possibility should have been hided so to avoid misunderstandings). Thanks a lot.

EDIT: this answer form Gigabyte confirms: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq-page.aspx?fid=342
Yes, it's really annoying, but sometimes they take shortcuts with BIOS programming and leave in options that are actually unsupported, leaving users like yourself going round in circles, ending up very frustrated. This is bad practice on behalf of the mobo manufacturer.

Heck, I even bought a PC Shits Chips mobo back in 2000 that had a "100MHz" bus setting in the BIOS and it did actually work a bit faster. However, it was actually fraud, since the chipset used didn't support 100MHz and was being overclocked to something like 83MHz and wasn't even stable at that speed. The company was eventually found out and forced to do a complete recall. Unsurprisingly, this awful company is no longer around.

I assume this misinformation affects also the modded bios (or some smart modder provided to fix this inconvenient?).

by the way I've read many threads about the divider question but none of them consider as divider FSB:DDR the 4:3 value which is almost the exact ratio between 533.33 and 400 Mhz.

dorsetknob

I assume this misinformation affects also the modded bios
What mis-information are you refering to
as it Stands no one is sure which post your refering to and by implication your going to piss off people

What mis-information are you refering to
as it Stands no one is sure which post your refering to and by implication your going to piss off people

I'm talking about the UDMA6 information embedded in the official bios. so I asked if this misinformation affects also the modded bioses.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I'm talking about the UDMA6 information embedded in the official bios. so I asked if this misinformation affects also the modded bioses.
It may or may not do. It totally depends on how the BIOS is modded.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I have no idea. Try them.

not surprising as its basically the Same chip set with minor differences

You can Astonish yourself by reading this :)
http://techreport.com/review/5158/intel-865pe-and-865g-chipsets
yes I know about this but as you can see from asrock the same chipset doesn't mean necessarily that the mainboard supports the same CPU because of the VRD chip or bios limitation or other hardware incompatibility, so nowadays I don't know if the modded bios of conroe has implemented ALL THE CPUs the 775i65g supports. I assume the answer is no, because of different P6 MICROCODE between the 2 bios.

If you have problems with CPU microcode lack of Support Such as Xeon 771/775 compatibility Then google Microcode injection and inject the required microcode yourself

to save you the bother of a google search :)
http://www.delidded.com/how-to-update-cpu-microcode-in-award-or-phoenix-bios/
I've no problem I want only to know if all the cpu supported by the 775i65g r3.0 are also supported on conroe865pe. I've modded a bios implementing the cpu microcode of 775i65g r3.0. So now the conroe865pe supports the same cpu microcode of the 775i65g r3.0.
this is the list of CPU supported by 775i65g
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G R3.0/index.it.asp?cat=CPU
(the conroe has the list updated by modded bios but I don't know exactly which processors have been integrated through them. So I asked about both the cpu's lists; if comparing both they are the same my modded bios is just not so relevant) :D

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
yes I know about this but as you can see from asrock the same chipset doesn't mean necessarily that the mainboard supports the same CPU because of the VRD chip or bios limitation or other hardware incompatibility, so nowadays I don't know if the modded bios of conroe has implemented ALL THE CPUs the 775i65g supports. I assume the answer is no, because of different P6 MICROCODE between the 2 bios.
That's a good point.

I've heard of cases where the BIOS isn't fully incompatible with a newer CPU, so instead of simply doing nothing and giving a black screen, it runs fine, but at some weird clock speed that can't be changed and with many BIOS options either not working or missing. I think it was right here on the TPU forum a few years ago.

Sometimes you just have to try it and cross your fingers.

Ok I'm waiting to receive the famous cpu e5800, once I get it I'll upgrade my modded bios before installing the new cpu; however I'm sure it will be good providing the most recent cpu microcode for this motherboard.

Now that's unexpected...
I'm trying to install windows7 from USB.
The USB based win7 I prepared works flawlessly on another system, but with the Conroe865PE I have some troubles:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the 
cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows Installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings and then click "Next"

3. Click "Repair your computer"
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer 
manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

That's all I get.
I searched the net, it seems to be a common problme with usb installation but I don't see a definite workaround on this...
I don't know what to do since the USB stick works as I said.

BTW I have no DVD rom....

The motherboard BIOS has no options for booting from the USB if I recall correctly, despite one option being close. It's from pre-USB install days.

Just get a DVD drive and install from there, since they are almost as cheap as a haircut.

The board recognizes usb stick and It shows it on boot options.
It clearly supports boot from usb.

Except you're finding the same thing I did. I said "despite" the BIOS appearing to do so. I think they lied.

I had the same problem too but I was able to install Windows 7 on this board from a usb stick using a program called Easy2Boot v1.87. http://www.easy2boot.com/.

Recently purchased this board and another similar board (Asus P5PE) as one lot on ebay for the price of a cheap haircut :)

dorsetknob

Welcome to TPU :lovetpu:...>Pota

I've flashed the eeprom by modded bios which now implements the cpu microcode from 775ig65g r3.0 motherboard without any problem: the current legacy cpu works flawlessly. When I get the newest cpu I'll report about any possible question, however I'm sure that no problems will occur.

This new bios could be named as 1.73 or 1.73a.