• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Conroe865PE thread... for AGP users... stock and mod

VLB

The ch341 does look like a good option, and under $10 USD. Thanks for the tip!

Hello,
im using this board in my multiboot system - W98 SE/XP 32bit/7 64bit.

But i have some problems with it // 1.7.0 Bios, no overclocking, Geforce 6600, overkilled cooling - it could run without any fan, but i have 2x Noctua:
- when set IDE in compatibility mode and connect Sata III SSD (Sandisk Ultra II, i know that board is Sata I it should be backward compatible) to Sata port, i got boot freeze during post
- USB transfer speed when i use any USB boot flash drive - with WinXP install or Windows 98, install Linux install is very slow
- 4x 1 GB, in Bios is 4x 1 GB DDR 400, in in post is only 3076 MB of RAM, i dont mint 32 bit Windows limitation, but Bios limitation is strange
- i had also strange Sata controller bios settings boot freeze, i even after cold boot and remove all disc devices i still had freeze, only bios reset helped
- IDE to Compact flash adapter (2x different tested) is very slow and it also that there some data tranfer freezes, at least when some bootCD / USB is uded to install something

I have additional SIL 3512 PCI Sata controller and Nvidia G6600+Intel 1 Gb/s NIC.

I wonder if someone maked Sata working in Windows 98, with better speed than few MB/s - because of IDE drivers in MS-DOS... I have only SATA III, there are board which are working fine with Sata I or II devices.

I so here some bios updates, are all about no CPUs support, or fix other issues? Its somewhere list of newly supported CPUs?

Last edited:

Adrian_

Hi guys,

Apparently this thread isn't really going any more, but I honestly expect a revival at some point as this class of boards (Conroe AGP) is bound to become some sort of collector's item rather sooner then later.

This being said, I recently acquired a nice 865PE essentially for free, as it had two broken RAM clips and was missing the backplate. Both problems were easily sorted out as I had around a defective AsRock P4 MB that featured similar RAM clips (very easy to remove if you know what you're doing) plus a nearly identical back plate, which required minimal cutting to fit.

I also bought a C2Duo E7600 (3.06Ghz, FSB 1066, 45nm) for something like 5$, then flashed the 1.72 bios and booted just fine. Only to discover that with this CPU installed (which is being recognized by the 1.72 just fine) I have no options whatsoever for setting the RAM speed, except for fiddling with the FSB. The RAM speed setting in the chipset section is grayed out and Memtest claims that the RAM boots to 177Mhz meaning that a 3:2 ratio with the FSB is applied.

With these 1066 Wolfdales is there any method to get the RAM to 200Mhz? I had sitting around for ages a set of 4x512Mb Corsair XMS's rated 2.2.2.5 and I'd like to mess around a bit with this interesting platform. Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Backplate? You mean the I/O shield? ;)

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Here in Finland we say "I/O pelti" which means I/O shield. :D

But yeah I know what u mean, just had to correct that. :toast:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Motherboard backplate is what you use to mount/support the CPU cooler my opinion I/o backplate covers the io connector

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro

Adrian_

Motherboard backplate is what you use to mount/support the CPU cooler

That would be the cooler backplate.

Seriously guys, let's not pollute this very useful topic with this kind of chatter. It's totally irrelevant in regard to this very particular board.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
That would be the cooler backplate.

Seriously guys, let's not pollute this very useful topic with this kind of chatter. It's totally irrelevant in regard to this very particular board.
Yup, sorry for my offtopic. What RAM do u have?

Adrian_

Corsair XMS 2.2.2.5 4x512Mb. Running them at 177Mhz would be ridiculous :D

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Can you try with different latencies? CL2.5 or even CL3?

Adrian_

I already tried, no result. From what I read on this thread there's a 5:4 bios that would result in a perfectly acceptable 212.8Mhz for the RAM when used with a 266FSB CPU, but it's based on an older bios that doesn't have the Wolfdale microcode. So basically I would need to edit that bios and add the microcode for the E7600 in order to get the RAM running at 212.8Mhz.

Alternatively I would have to OC the CPU all the way up to 300FSB in order to get the DDR up to 200Mhz with the current BIOS. The CPU may very well take it but I'd rather not push the VRM's that far on a mobo that's already 11 years old and has an unknown history.

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
Memset is your friend. ;)

Adrian_

Btw, has anyone tried the L5408 on this board? With 1066fsb and a mere 40W it should run just fine, at least in theory :D

Further to my posts in 2017. A member suggested I poly mod my Conroe865pe board which has bad cap(s) and stability issues. I have begun the project by poly modding my other board Asus p5pe-vm first. I'm thinking about documenting my results here. What do you folks think, anyone interested?

Last edited:

FuzzFrrek

Further to my posts in 2017. A member suggested I poly mod my Conroe865pe board which has bad cap(s) and stability issues. I have begun the project by poly modding my other board Asus p5pe-vm first. I'm thinking about documenting my results here. What do you folks think, anyone interested?

Hey I'm new here and yes, I would be interested in reviving this tread and earring from your research and modding!

I just bought a QX6700, the ConRoe865pe Asrock board, 4 sticks of DDR400 1GB and a ATI HD4650 AGP. Actually, I was looking for some build I could make around that GPU. I have an old case lying around (cisca 2000) and I would need the PSU and a cooler for the QX6700. Anyone has any good and viable suggestion of what I may use?

Hey I'm new here and yes, I would be interested in reviving this tread and earring from your research and modding!

I just bought a QX6700, the ConRoe865pe Asrock board, 4 sticks of DDR400 1GB and a ATI HD4650 AGP. Actually, I was looking for some build I could make around that GPU. I have an old case lying around (cisca 2000) and I would need the PSU and a cooler for the QX6700. Anyone has any good and viable suggestion of what I may use?

Ok I'll consider posting more content here.

About your PSU and CPU cooler suggestion question - I have a few Seasonic PSUs, and some Prolimatech and Noctua cpu cooolers. I always tune my builds for silence.

P.S. Keep in mind this thread has more or less been abandoned, so I don't think it is a great place to ask questions.

I would think that any PSU of around 500W should be more than enough for those parts, however, the board has a 20-pin connector so make sure that you get one with a 20+4 plug, or you'll need a 24 to 20 pin adapter. As Pota suggested, Seanonic makes good units so you won't go wrong going that route.

Other cooling options you could look at, if trying to keep costs down, would be something along the lines of a Cooler Master 212 series HSF, or perhaps look for a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (used, of course). Or consider one of the AIO units.

Last edited:
Poly mod? Is that what it sounds like? And, if it is, why? I asked myself. Then I googled it. Sure enough. It is what it sounds like. Now on to the why. Other than a potential increase in longevity, there's no good reason to I can think of. And several reasons I can think of not too.

1. Waste of money overbuilding something beyond practicality. Does it really need to be functional after you're dead and gone?

2. Risk of doing more harm than good. It wasn't designed to use those. Might just end up with something worse than what you started with. If it ain't broke...don't try redesigning it until it is.

3. And did I mention price? That's the good thing about replacing electrolytics. They're cheap AF.

Honestly...I can't believe that's really a thing. But whatever. More power to ya! You sure as hell won't see me doing it though.

Poly mod? Is that what it sounds like? And, if it is, why? I asked myself. Then I googled it. Sure enough. It is what it sounds like. Now on to the why. Other than a potential increase in longevity, there's no good reason to I can think of. And several reasons I can think of not too.
Cool project that's all, I'm not defending it economically

Arthur Schopenhauer said:
If children were brought into the world by an act of pure reason alone, would the human race continue to exist? Would not a man rather have so much sympathy with the coming generation as to spare it the burden of existence, or at any rate not take it upon himself to impose that burden upon it in cold blood?

FuzzFrrek

I would think that any PSU of around 500W should be more than enough for those parts, however, the board has a 20-pin connector so make sure that you get one with a 20+4 plug, or you'll need a 24 to 20 pin adapter. As Pota suggested, Seanonic makes good units so you won't go wrong going that route.

Other cooling options you could look at, if trying to keep costs down, would be something along the lines of a Cooler Master 212 series HSF, or perhaps look for a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (used, of course). Or consider one of the AIO units.

I bought a generic but trusty PSU 430 watts from a local store and a 212 EVO with 2 fans. I think it should be enough.

I'll keep you updated when i get the cooler and test the whole thing!

FuzzFrrek

Hey all,

I got all my stuff now. I build a test rig: everything is connected and seated properly: the generic 430W PSU tested and working perfectly, the CM 212 cooler (2 fans in push/pull with a Y slitter), RAMs (4 sticks of Kingston 1gb each but not sure the timings), video card (Asus HD4650 1gb), 20 pins motherboard connector, 4 pins CPU connector, IDE 120gb WD HDD and finally the QX6700 itself. I quadrupled checked everything to make that nothing was missing and connected/seated properly.

My issue is that I cannot get any display showing on both displays I have, with either VGA of HDMI output. I tried different cables and also different cards (I have 2 other AGP cards). I cannot have any display at all. The system boots just fine and fans are spinning, booth drive too. I am asking this: is it possible the AGP port is dead? The HD4650 fan is spinning though. But, I haven't tried the bizarre VGA output from the motherboard itself since I don't have male/female VGA cable. I tried to contact the seller to ask if there was any known specific issue with the display.

For now, I cannot find any solution. Any advise?

@Pota That quote is sublime. I've never understood human procreation. Not by any intelligent beings having any empathy at all anyway. It's most certainly devoid of pure reason. Pure recklessness is more like it. Quite a shame really. I've often pondered how bad it would look from a cosmic perspective. We must be the laughing stock of sentient beings in The Universe. If they can find the humor in it. :shadedshu: