• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Conroe865PE thread... for AGP users... stock and mod

FuzzFrrek

Updates:

I was able to boot, the speaker beeping once. I left only one stick of RAM on the first slot and cleared the CMOS. Since the case I have does not have any USB ports, I was not able to boot into Windows, getting constant boot loop. I presume the board is not updated to the latest stable firmware so the QX6700 is not recognize by it.

I will try to ditch a basic P4 CPU to boot into Windows and install everything properly (do you recomment anything?). I will keep you updated!

Updating the BIOS sounds like a logical thing to do. If you haven't done so already, I'd pull the CMOS battery out for a little while just to be sure everything resets back to default before doing the update.

FuzzFrrek

Updating the BIOS sounds like a logical thing to do. If you haven't done so already, I'd pull the CMOS battery out for a little while just to be sure everything resets back to default before doing the update.

I was abbe to boot into the BIOS!! I checked the BIOS firmware and it is 1.70. According to this site, the QX6700 can only be ''supported via overclocking''.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASRock/ConRoe865PE.html

I tried 270x10 and 275x10 and nothing happened, it does not boot and cannot access the BIOS anymore, even after clearing the CMOS... Well, what now?

Last edited:
What memory divider are you using and which specific modules do you have? If generic modules, please show a pic of the ICs. You stated in an earlier post that they were DDR400 which would be spec'ed for 200 MHz but you're trying to boot at 270 & 275 so I'm just asking.

Also, are you trying this with 2 or 4 modules?

FuzzFrrek

What memory divider are you using and which specific modules do you have? If generic modules, please show a pic of the ICs. You stated in an earlier post that they were DDR400 which would be spec'ed for 200 MHz but you're trying to boot at 270 & 275 so I'm just asking.

Also, are you trying this with 2 or 4 modules?

You know, I was able to clear the CMOS properly and I can access the BIOS again. I I switched the jumper near the AGP slot (to enable a 1033 CPU). Now my issue is I cannot boot into Windows XP. I get a blue screen and the PC boot loop. I clocked the CPU to 200x10.

The module is this one. Only one installed.

I set the speed and timing to (divider I assume) to auto - default, nothing was changed.

EDIT: My next step is to reinstall Windows but i dunno if it may help at all.

EDIT 2: The image is in pending by the mods (I think...), it may be cut off: Here is the RAM:

Crusial
Micron
1GB
1GB 184 - PIN UNBUFF
DIMM 128MX64
DDRPC3200 PBF
''barcode number''
CT12864Z40B

Last edited:

FuzzFrrek

Hey guys!

Windows has been installed. I have 4 gig of RAM installed! Al the settings are set to default value (CPU and RAM). For now, it is working fine! I tried many different settings to OC the CPU/RAM and what I can get is poorly executed. 273x10 on CPU and Auto CL on RAM. I'll browse the Internet if I can find a good OC tuto.

Progress is always welcomed. So the re-install of Windows, after the clearing of the BIOS and changing the jumper for the CPU, is all what it took to allow you to get into Windows?

FuzzFrrek

Progress is always welcomed. So the re-install of Windows, after the clearing of the BIOS and changing the jumper for the CPU, is all what it took to allow you to get into Windows?

Well I think that pretty much what happened.

Last edited:
I know, I am incredibly late with this.

Just tested the new bios, nothing different from 1.72.
I tried a Xeon 5450, no post.
I wonder what has been changed.
In any case, opening a brand new Conroe865pe was really exciting, all was (and is) sealed.

I could put my hands on three more of them.
PM me if you want to know more.

Last edited:
I know, I am incredibly late with this.

Just tested the new bios, nothing different from 1.72.
I tried a Xeon 5650, no post.
I wonder what has been changed.
In any case, opening a brand new Conroe865pe was really exciting, all was (and is) sealed.

I could put my hands on three more of them.
PM me if you want to know more.

Xeon 5650 - What are the characteristics of the processor?
This is by no means Xeon X5650 under LGA1366.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Oh wow, are you serious, it is possible for someone to mod the BIOS to get Xeon 54xx onto the Conroe865PE board? L5420 would make me crack open the cellar and find that board and get it up and running again after at least 10 years of gathering dust. The holy grail of AGP mainboards... Xeon L and AGP FireGL. Oh just oh.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Would this thread be ok for one of these boards - ASRock 4CoreDual SATA2 ?? Or are they the same :laugh: It's been a while and I'm a little rusty...

No,
they are totally different motherboards.

A a side note, I tried the new bios with updated microcodes to see if a modified 771 xeon would work.
The result was a very good black screen, so I can confirm that 45nm xeons do not work and I do not think it is related to FSB at all.

But the Asrock 4Core Dual Sata2 (for you Phil), do work, I can testify, but it would be better to use an unlocked CPU with this one (like with the 865PE).

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I did wonder but as it's a Monday morning, I'm not quite awake with only one coffee...... :)

I believe I've had one previously but from memory I think that these have needed to be modified to get the best from them. I'm guessing @Mr.Scott would definitely be a gent to confirm this... I'd like to find one as I'm a sucker for hardware and AGP cards where always good fun to play with.

I'll keep an eye out with this thread, love to see everyone's setups :)

I did wonder but as it's a Monday morning, I'm not quite awake with only one coffee...... :)

I believe I've had one previously but from memory I think that these have needed to be modified to get the best from them. I'm guessing @Mr.Scott would definitely be a gent to confirm this... I'd like to find one as I'm a sucker for hardware and AGP cards where always good fun to play with.

I'll keep an eye out with this thread, love to see everyone's setups :)

I will soon set up the new Conroe865PE with the QX6700 I have, cooled by an old thermaright all-copper heatsink.
The only issue is that I am having a difficult time on setting up properly the 4 stick of Corsair Vaule RAM (4GB total).

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
What a find! Anyone tested the L5450 or other 771 on this mainboard? Bookmarked!

Nope,
It won’t work
I will elaborate.
Tryed myself with several Xeon L54xx, it is not a matter of microcode and FSB from what I could verify.
It seems the chip refuse to work with 45nm quad cores for unknown reasons (handling of the cache maybe? Do not know).
So, putting microcodes for quad 771 is useless.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
If I can add a bit of insight, the 865PE is a chipset from 2004 or 2003, launched for socket 478. Even the part where it was "streched" to support socket 775 and Core 2, but just Conroe/Kentsfield, means that in bus support it can only really work with die interfaces that were still in the same format with Prescott and the contemporary chips.
This is the issue with the 775 era, where support came down to chipset/bus vs. BIOS vs. voltage regulation config to determine which CPUs would work.
I'd say that on this board, Xeon 30xx and X32xx will probably work (E31xx and 51xx I seriously have my doubts), since those were pretty much Core 2 rebrands. Anything more recent should not work as there was no microcode support for Core 2 past 65nm.