1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The DiRT 3 Clubhouse!

Discussion in 'TechPowerUp Club Forum' started by erocker, Dec 9, 2009.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I alway set my own config for each race. I base is off the terrain type and the goal they set, like if it's 90mph, then I go to the shortest gearing to get the most accel. Almost every track you can bottom out the gearing, a few you can't, but I haven't been in a single race that I can't have it 1 notch down. I also usually drop my diff 1 notch down, I don't like relying on my brakes to power slide, would rather toss a little sway then pitch the car into the turn.

2. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    For the Trucks on snow, I put the gear ratio for top speed though ;) else I got for acceleration

3. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Why? Top speed don't matter if you can't reach it. The only time I ever topped out the shortest gear ratio was with a truck on snow, snow I moved up to the 2nd notch and that didn't top out. I haven't seen any reason to move past the 2nd notch up, but maybe 3rd would be safe, 4th and 5th I can't see ever being needed, just kills acceleration. Just like people who run their cars quarter mile only, they won't gear it to drive on the road, they will gear it so it tops out right at the end of the 1/4, any extra gear is a waste as it would be better to get more accel.

4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You know, Easy, I was playing with some rams yesterday, a set that has had issues on P67 for some time, while another kit of the exact same type and brand does not.

Couldn't get Dirt2 to start..would crash, crash, CRASH!!!

Pop in some other stocks, and it was good to go.

SO perhaps investigate your system's stability. VGA overclock can also cuase crashes, in-game they appear the same.

Yep, sound all too familiar. After about 50 races(almsot through the second season), tweaking the settings becomes key.

I think i got about 8 hours in-game, but I played with graphics settings and benching for about 2 hours, just about at the halfway point, i think.

Driving with one arm sucks, but right now, this is one of few games that I cna actually play, still got my right arm in a sling.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Ouch, 1 arming even D3 would be hard. I moved forward to W, reverse to S, handbrake to space bar. Doing it all with 1 hand was a lot to muster and boring for the other hand.

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Hence my using the wheel. Makes it fairly easy, no different than driving a real car with one hand...did make hitting some of those platinum medlas in the gymkhana events a bit hard:p

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, wheel would be the way to go. I just got to gymkhana myself, I am 1 barrier block short of freaking platinum. I can't get the car to whip around those poles perfectly, entering fast helps it slide but I slide too far out, and entering slow doesn't work well, I got to play with it more.

8. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:
    This game is incredible. There's so much to do, and so much to perfect! I absolutely love the engine noises, and the detail of the interior views. All of the game modes are fun, although I think my favorite is the Sprint with those supercar/rally vehicles.

Graphics are incredible. Very pretty and fun game!

9. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    In the ps3 version, anyone know how to turn the green line driver assist off. I cannot find a option to turn it off.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    UP the difficulty level?

A vid, one hand driving, just barely platinum finish ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    fullinfusion says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    theres not much difference in graphics compared to dirt 2 lol but all the new roads and weather are nice!

12. b82rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whenever really. I have narrowed it down to it only happening when I alt-tab out of the game, then I go back in, race for about 10 mins and it will crash.

I also get an error telling me to disable aero..?

13. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    OK. I'm confused now. This thread has been going since 2009, but Dirt 3 was only released a few days ago? :confused: Were people playing a beta or demo all this time?

I was given a free Steam code (not pirate!) for Dirt 2 a while back, so I tried Dirt 2 when Dirt 3 was available for pre purchase. I wanted to take advantage of the lower price and the chance to gift D2 which came as part of the offer, in a TPU mini competition.

I was very disappointed with what I saw with D2, so I decided not to get D3, as I figured it would be more of the same. It's a shame, because D2 looks fabulous and the core gameplay is great. :ohwell:

What was wrong?

- Game interface. Every time you start the game, you have to sit through a whole load of unskipable cut scene videos. It also takes absolutely ages before it allows you access to the menu, where you can adjust things like screen resolution etc. No shit, this drove me nuts :banghead:

- Control issues. Seriously, wtf? :eek: :shadedshu This was the real deal breaker. I could only use the keyboard, making the car impossible to stear properly and the throttle full on or full off. This makes the whole driving experience a useless drunken crash fest, going nowhere fast. You can't use the mouse at all and it wouldn't work with my Logitech analog joystick. It seems that D2 has very limited options for controllers too. Rubbish.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  14. b82rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I know what you mean. You will be pleased to know the menu has changed in Dirt 3 to a really simple menu much like the one seen in Racedriver: Grid. I really like the look of it, looks pretty sleek and is easy to navigate.

Controls have also been improved and most of them work now. Check the Codemasters forum to see if your controller is supported (pretty sure it is though.)

This has been one of the best racing games I've played since Racedriver: Grid, IMO. :)

qubit says thanks.
  15. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Quite possibly the coolest driving game I've tried......
    Not sure what I think of Gymkhana though....

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  16. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:

The cut scene before you actually get to the is too long.
    The cut scene which shows the track then gets to the menu.

At the start the talking is really annoying.
    I don't want to have to listen to them and they go on and on.

There are control issues which CM might have to fix.
    You have to press the button on your controller if you want to keep your settings otherwise pressing enter on the keyboard will give you keyboard defaults and you have to enter your custom controls again.

I'm pretty sure I know someone who was using a Logitech joystick but I don't know the model of the joystick.

qubit says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  17. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Me too. I have D2 and I dug it out recentlyto have another go. I couldn't remember my live ID and wanted to shut down and find my details.....I had to listen to all the videos just to get to a menu where I could shut down.

I'm a real fan of car racing but I do have to question why I would pay for a game that makes me mad before I even get to start driving.

qubit says thanks.
  19. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    wierd codemasters shit! yet again in a dirt game 3rd on the run i get fully random occasional crashes random as in very now and again, i thought this one was gona be ok but ive had a failed exe on starting it twice(it then worked) and mid race crashes

is there any possibilty the first and second games tracks could be played in the 3rd games engine or the second as imho its identical 3rd has settings set higher is only difference ive seen and the first dirt had some of the best rally stages yet the crapest engine , extreme mod maybe but what are the chances of it?:D it would be sick i dont know why they ditch tracks anyway theyve made them and they would graphically scale a bit with newer tec and they would have an immense number of rally levels by now

and a great many more dirt fans the dicks

20. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    What ya do to get your arm into a brace man?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Dislocated my shoulder back in the end of March. Being doing physiotherapy for a while now, but the tendons that attach my bicep and tricep to my shoulder are torn, as well as some cartiledge damage front the joint rubbing in places it shouldn't have. Will find out for sure of Wednesday if surgery is required. Docs and physiotherapist seem to think surgery is inevitable, I'm hoping it's not, but my arm is pretty useless.

Been doing all these reviews with one arm, really slows things down. Dirt 3 is one of only two games I've put any time into since March...the other being Minecraft. Went from 40-60 hours a week gaming, to almost none.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    You probably dislocated your shoulder from all the extreme gaming, ;)

Hope you get well soon and no surgery is needed.:toast:

cadaveca says thanks.
  23. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get well soon Cadaveca, I remember waking up with a stiff right arm when I was hooked playing Dirt 2.

By the way, the postman gave me my Dirt 3 today!! :D
    :rockout:

cadaveca says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought we agreed no one would know I was there. I'm married ya know!

cadaveca and Black Panther say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

:pimp:

:respect:

10 Year Member at TPU