• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The effects of using an AV receiver vs. Gaming Headsets

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
This isnt MSN or skype so triple posting isnt necessary :)

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
right... but think of it this way... one cpu cycle game, the next audio, the next game, the next audio... so on so forth.. you are cutting their potential speeds in half.
Thats not the way it works anymore.. think about it... YOU HAVE 4 PHYSICAL CORES and 4 MORE HT CORES! So there is no waiting, it takes a free cycle.

But you never answered my question, what IS doing the processing then?

cutting out all possibilities saying that todays processors are completely overkill for anything you through at them is quite biased
"jftr" Im cutting out all things not possible, like the trunk button from the factory effecting how fast a car goes (or that whats on the end of a plug effects whats coming out of the plug in this case).... and your CPU information I corrected above.

If you think its the problem, then go get a soundcard where the audio processing is done on the card, like SoundBlaster Xtremegamer.

iCadaveR

see one would think the audio is being processed by the soundcard. but what it seems like it is doing is... taking a raw audio file, converting it to a compressed format then being reprocessed to add effects when it gets to the soundcard

doesnt seem like it in the case of using the receiver. because the receiver can have its own built in equalizer so it may turn the soundcard's off

iCadaveR

I run a Pioneer Elite reciever for my pc sound and have never noticed anything being different than my logitech G330 headset.

when using the pioneer receiver what audio format were you using?

with the receiver... get this... if i persay, encode the audio signal to DDL or DTS i notice the latency, when i leave the encoder off and just set the receiver to DTS Neo:6 the hit reg is flawless

with it on DTS Neo:6 it also lights up the pcm light

Last edited by a moderator:
Onboard audio uses CPU cycles. There is no doubt about that. The more you put on the audio processing like surround effects, eq, etc, the more it uses. Yes. But again, its nothing...negligible. Its not waiting in line to be processed, its not affecting hit registry. It doesnt make sense at all as they are two different things doing two completely different functions that are not dependent on one another.

Buy a separate sound card that handles the processing onboard. It *may* solve the issue, but it wont tell you what the true source of the problem was. ;)

HOly shit dude. PLEASE stop with the multi posting and edit. My god man. You dont listen at all do you?!! :p

EDIT: Man, you are ALL OVER THE PLACE with these edits. :p

the signal the receiver is getting has already been 'equalized', the equalizing your receiver would do is ON TOP OF what is already in the signal. ;)

Last edited:

iCadaveR

see i have the onboard audio disabled and i am using the x-fi titanium champion which has its own ramdac

This better then?

It should be as it has its own audio processing/ram which use much less/no CPU resources. If that doesnt fix your 'issue', it has nothing to do with the audio. ;)

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
im telling you you should give it a shot. try out a receiver hooked up by toslink and test some hit reg

I am using such a setup for years now, and the only differences I noticed:
no noise gets introduced while (so no more "cell-phone-inducted-beeping" yay!), easier to troubleshoot, surround is much easier to set up, less trouble when connecting (jacks get troublesome), and much more care required when disconnecting.

EDIT:
P.S. and yeah, Your problem is prolly somewhere else. For example, drivers.
EDIT#2:
don't forget: "Correlation does not imply causation"

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
About the CPU cycles: Audio hit is minimal, with your logic of consuming CPU cycles, then the other several programs running in background should make the game unplayable since they consume more CPU resources than audio. I run a lot of programs, sometimes even another game or folding, and i never notice any performance variation what so ever.

About the soundcard: sound is being processed in the soundcard, that´s the whole point. But it was several years ago when a soundcard helped boost performance, today the only difference is sound quality. About the ram in your soundcard, it was a Creative gimmick, benchmarks between with SB Titaniums (one with the ram and the other without, don´t remember the exact models though) showed that in a PC with Core 2 Duo or Quads the performance difference was of 1fps well within the error margin.

With all due respect, i still think there is something messed up in your PC, maybe drivers, who knows. As i said, games running faster is one thing, but looking better, i just don´t see how audio have anything to do with that.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
One more thing: if You still think that the audio is slowing Your games down, there is only one way to make sure:

Testing. And by testing, I mean: Taking a HDD with a clean window$ installation, having no unnecessary hardware attached, having only the drivers/essentials (dx, etc.) and that one game installed. Then testing how it acts under different audio modes. If it still works the same way You described earlier, then You can say there probably is an audio related problem somewhere - either in the driver, hardware, or the game code itself. And then, testing with different audio driver versions, if it changes the behavior, You could say that problem is most likely in the audio drivers.

Note, I wrote it as "probably"/"most likely" and all. That is because even with such testing You would still know pretty much nothing what and why is actually happening.

So, please stop mistaking correlation with causation - those are two different things.

System Name ARiA
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 DDR4 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2070 Super FE
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (1TB), 850 EVO SATA (500GB), WD Ultrastar (6TB)
Display(s) Asus VG279 144 Hz IPS
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Chord Hugo 2 to lots of headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime+ 850W Gold
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't even know how to respond to this even... Either there is something really messed up with your computer or just flat out placebo effects which is very likely from your posts.

Also, if you are using USB headsets, your onboard soundcard will have no effect on it what so ever. USB headsets have their own (crappy) DAC and ADC for the sound and mic, likely to have a some sort of sound processor for the virtual surround sounds.

see i dont believe the audio is being processed by the soundcard when using 3.5mm headsets. nor when using a toslink headset. looks like the audiodg.exe service is doing it all. ive seen people making the attempt to turn off all soundblaster special effects and what not in the windows audio panels. I would always see windows 7 utilizing 3% cpu to nothing but audio? i know thats hardly measurable but look at it this way. it has to buffer. thats more information between calculations.

Is it not about if you believe or not, but it is the fact. Soundcard need to do their DAC function at the very least to have you hearing anything at all.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I would like to inform you of the edit button.

This reminds me of the thread about the guy who claimed a different dns gave him a better ping and gaming experience. This is different though. Have you considered a pseudo effect? I'd give it a few more months and see if your getting the same performance boost.