• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Global Warming & Climate Change Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
According to that link above, nearly 2.5x as many people are born every day as compared to the amount that die. It's estimated the world population will be upwards of 10 billion people by 2050 (that's about 2.8 billion more than there are estimated today).
Which is why Gates, Clinton, and other initiatives are trying to raise the developing world out of poverty as fast as possible (and with a small carbon footprint while they're at it). The more educated and prosperous, the less likely to have >2 children. Most of the West has a declining native population which is why they have pro-immigration policies.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Climate change causes different species of trees becoming dominant and climate sensitive animals to migrate.

And that's precisely what I am talking about. As I read that I practically had to stop myself from screaming out a list of our latest invasive southern species.

I've observed this over decades, and so have the animals and plants here. This isn't one incident.

Fertility rates are actually declining in one sense. It was once predicted (early 90s/UN report) that there'd be over 10 billion people on Earth by this time. It's not panning out that way. It could be that it's already peaking. If that's the case, I guess you could say sustaining it can be more easily managed.

If that makes you feel better.

Well they already have started falling in the west. The issue is impoverished regions. People in poverty do tend to have more children.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Which is why Gates, Clinton, and other initiatives are trying to raise the developing world out of poverty as fast as possible (and with a small carbon footprint while they're at it). The more educated and prosperous, the less likely to have >2 children. Most of the West has a declining native population which is why they have pro-immigration policies.

Yet in the same breath, they would promote things like the Paris Treaty that kept the third world from ever achieving their own industrial revolutions and relying on the same energy sources America/China did. And make them dependent on sources from established countries to boot.

That's no way to create prosperous people. In fact, it's more of the same class warfare I'm talking about above - except on national scales.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Yet in the same breath, they would promote things like the Paris Treaty that kept the third world from ever achieving their own industrial revolutions and relying on the same energy sources America/China did. And make them dependent on sources from established countries to boot.

Why would it be more profitable for them to make their revolution themselves with old tech?

It shouldn't be. No one is seriously going to rebuild steam era tech for anything but novelty value, nor should they. Heck, honestly it would be best to skip fossil fuels all together and go with Nuclear, but there are obvious hurdles there... and terrorism concerns.

Anyways, point is: That "race" is over, they already lost. Why in the world wouldn't they at least pay to get up to speed? It should be CHEAPER than the alternative.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Why would it be more profitable for them to make their revolution themselves with old tech?

It shouldn't be. No one is seriously going to rebuild steam era tech for anything but novelty value, nor should they. Heck, honestly it would be best to skip fossil fuels all together and go with Nuclear, but there are obvious hurdles there... and terrorism concerns.

Anyways, point is: That "race" is over, they already lost. Why in the world wouldn't they at least pay to get up to speed? It should be CHEAPER than the alternative.

It's not about using "steam" in particular -- but anything available and to it's full potential.. without having your hands tied or billions of dollars being allocated to what outsiders say you should do. No one else previously had to worry about this. So they shouldn't either.

edit: I mean, something as basic as building a dam becomes a huge burden, with possible new restrictions on fuel for machinery and steel production. America and China never worried about this (and if anyone had tried to stop it, they'd cause a war anyways)… yet the third world lacks sovereignty and fairness in the matter. And only deserve handouts and pity and directions from your "betters", apparently.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
It's not about using "steam" in particular -- but anything available and to it's full potential.. without having your hands tied or billions of dollars being allocated to what outsiders say you should do. No one else previously had to worry about this. So they shouldn't either.

edit: I mean, something as basic as building a dam becomes a huge burden, with possible new restrictions on fuel for machinery and steel production. America and China never worried about this (and if anyone had tried to stop it, they'd cause a war anyways)… yet the third world lacks sovereignty and fairness in the matter. And only deserve handouts and pity and directions from your "betters", apparently.

I really don't see the problem because the accord is both optional and largely focused on carbon emissions, which can be dealt with in a variety of ways. I guess I would need to research that particular accord more, but I'm fairly sure an educated person like Gates has his reasons and they aren't silly.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I really don't see the problem because the accord is both optional and largely focused on carbon emissions, which can be dealt with in a variety of ways. I guess I would need to research that particular accord more, but I'm fairly sure an educated person like Gates has his reasons and they aren't silly.

Gates is just virtue signaling, after all of the years of those Locutus memes. I sympathize with and like him, but that's no way to deal with your guilt. :p

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
You keep fooling yourself with those arguments, its clear you choose to blind yourself, nothing amyone says will change that. Just dont try to fool others with it because that just looks sad and infinitely stupid.

There is only one reason to deny climate change and that is because people are invested in something they might lose. That alone should tell you enough and if you cannot see that, all hope is lost.

You can say I am fooling myself and I can say you are brainwashed. There is only one reason to believe man made climate change and that is so you can invest in the carbon credits scheme.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Technology created the problem and technology will fix it.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
You can say I am fooling myself and I can say you are brainwashed. There is only one reason to believe man made climate change and that is so you can invest in the carbon credits scheme.

I don't think the average advocate is this way. I think they're being used by those who are. And for some reason, put these people in an untoucable category.. like high priests or something.

Their ideals may be good though..even if a bit zealous and dismissive of others. That's the saddest thing about it.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
There is only one reason to believe man made climate change and that is so you can invest in the carbon credits scheme.

So who gets the big check in the "carbon credits scheme?" The green energy companies? The ones that literally need subsidies to survive? Oh my, I must have missed their scrooge McDuck vaults amongst all the lack of profits they are making.

I certainly don't get any kickbacks. And you can't say we are brainwashed with any real credibility. Reading actual science isn't brainwashing. Ignoring science and spouting a lack of evidence and the same tired disproven facts is.

Technology created the problem and technology will fix it.

I sure hope technology is more reliable than public opinion.

Last edited:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
go with Nuclear,
using "steam"
You can't use Nuclear without using Steam:kookoo: (except in Space )
In case you forgot the two Technology are intertwined ( at the moment).
The Main Problem In Global warming /climate change is Energy consumption and Production

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Supposedly clever people still think man made global warming is a thing, how arrogant are you for thinking we have any kind of say on the seasons of this planet we inhabit?

Hottest summer since records began ummmm 200 years ago compared to 15 billion years since the conception of the universe, but hey, 200 years of industrial revolution have destroyed a planet that has seen more extreme weather conditions in a millenia than you could ever dream of
How can you still maintain this blinkered notion when there's so much hard evidence in this thread and elsewhere that it's man made? This is idiotic, kinda like a flat earther.

Flat earth is biggest bullshit ever anyway. It's physically existent, just go into space and look at it ffs. Or travel across it and come back to starting point, you don't fall of an edge... For global warming, there is no denying that global warming exists. What's not so universal is whether it's actually man made. There were global warming and cooling cycles. They happened in cycles WAY before we were even around. If you look at data, it varies even back then. So, just because it's now a bit off than the last one, that doesn't mean Earth will just implode now.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Flat earth is biggest bullshit ever anyway. It's physically existent, just go into space and look at it ffs. Or travel across it and come back to starting point, you don't fall of an edge... For global warming, there is no denying that global warming exists. What's not so universal is whether it's actually man made. There were global warming and cooling cycles. They happened in cycles WAY before we were even around. If you look at data, it varies even back then. So, just because it's now a bit off than the last one, that doesn't mean Earth will just implode now.

It's a lot more than a "bit off."

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Yeah, as RTB said, it's more than a "bit off". Way more, in fact. Just look at some of the links in this thread showing that it's man-made. You really can't deny it nowadays, as I'm sure you know.

Everyone panicking about it, but you can copy my words into a TXT file and back it up in a bunker to read it later that it just won't matter in the end. The cycle will happen with or without our help. And it will achieve equilibrium one way or another. What everyone is freaking out now is preventing the cycle from happening somehow because raised oceans are just so fucking inconvenient.. That's the expectations I'm getting from the people freaking out. It happening now or in 500 years time, like it fucking matters. It'll happen. Just like magnetic poles will invert whether we'll like it or not and just like Earth will keep on cycling around sun and its own axis whether we like it or not. The inconvenience of living during the cycle era just sucks and that's why everyone is freaking out.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
@RejZoR The world is supposed to be gently sliding into another mini ice age (we're overdue) when it's doing just the opposite, heating up rapidly instead. Doesn't that alone tell you something?

That's not me saying about the ice age either, I've read it on the likes of New Scientist etc years ago.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Man, I've been reading the same arguments against climate change and man's influence on it for over a decade now "How can we ever have that influence"... its documented, supported by countless measurements, and no matter how many of those you throw in, its still not 'real'. Regardless of all the new research and evidence people still spout the same nonsense.

You can save your breath. People that don't want to know, will never know. They will take any straw as a major argument against reality. Its flat-earther / chem trail territory and there is no way anyone will convince them otherwise - until at some point something serious happens in their lives that forces a radical change in one way or another. Is it really that obvious? YES. You just fail to realize it, which is exactly what all those conspiracy theorists fail at regardless of the subject.

Its a bit like religious fanatics, and those still exist too. Both groups are also the same in how they are being used politically and to expand and preserve vested interests. They will use ANY argument as an absolute to deny the whole ecosystem that opposes that. Facts be damned. Science be damned. There are so many similarities its stunning that people don't see it.

The whole point of your ethical concerns is to ensure wellbeing and survival of humankind.. Yet in the same breath, you mock those very things when "wellbeing" and "survival" are applied to immediate concerns - like food. No, humanity's survival has to to be some abstract ideal to you.. Else it's not grand enough or something.

You'll never win anyone over like this. Enviromental concerns have a better chance of improving things when they focus on immediacy as well. People cringe at how pollution immediately effects them, for example. That will work if you drive the point home enough.

Speaking of pollution, you say you care about it, but just earlier, you were singing Al Gore's praises. The guy with a $30,000 utility bill and has 10x the carbon footprint of the average person. Care to explain this?

Not to mention that you expect everyone to just sacrifice taxes and jobs.. and mock them if they don't.. yet you praise a guy who reaps massive benefits in the HERE and NOW.. tons of partnerships with "green" companies, hundreds of thousands of dollars per speech, etc.. He sacrifices nothing and pollutes more to boot. Yet the average Joe or Jane are the bad guys.. because they simply don't hop along unquestioningly to your views.. and because they don't want to sacrifice things either, like Al Gore. Why is he special? Is this even about environmentalism or is it class warfare?

I applaud your argumentation but I don't think you understand mine.

I'm not here to win anyone over. I'm way past that, the ship has sailed LONG ago. Today, if you still fail to realize what's happening, you're just a stupid fool and you cannot be helped. The fact that Trump has gained all this traction and got elected, and the power block that supports him speaks volumes of that reality. Its a self-imposed, incredibly short sighted stupidity that counters any kind of sensible move forward. Its that power block also that still supports gun ownership regardless of school shootings and overwhelming evidence that ownership is leading to much higher homicide rates. The similarities are too striking to ignore. You speak of blown up in the media but this isn't about blowing anything up, its about FACTS and NUMBERS that simply don't lie, and school shootings simply stand out as an outrageous example. They happened in Europe, too. But not in the same quantity or frequency, not by long shot. Its a difference so blatantly obvious no amount of media can paint a different picture.

If you really think food on the table tomorrow is the most important and if that is your perspective with regards to climate change then NO, I will never expect you capable enough to understand that its about the day after tomorrow. Its about the world your kids will grow up in, not your own egotistical self. Thát is a perspective that has meaning to it and a perspective and time frame that forces people into action against climate change. Food on the table tomorrow is the perspective of the hunter-gatherer up until the industrial revolution. And that is exactly what these anti lobbies are aiming at: the old world, the filthy one based on petrol, heavy machinery and no regard whatsoever for ecological footprint. Because that has always proven to be 'easy money'. And that is also what 'food on the table tomorrow' effectively means: easy money. And who cares what tomorrow really looks like, as long as your belly is full, screw everyone else. All it really means is getting fat at the expense of others, and ultimately, at the expense of everyone including yourself.

You can have a look at China where we've outsourced much of our production capacity, and the air quality you will find in large regions of that country as a result of that. People literally die at younger age than they did during the industrial revolution. But hey, surely man can't do that, right? Nahh. Man is also totally not responsible for a sharp decrease in eco diversity, the extinction of hundreds of species already, and removing forests by huge percentage from the face of the Earth. Nah, doesn't exist, those things just vanished all of a sudden. And its obviously also a complete lie that trees support the reduction of CO2 in the air. Those are also totally not related to greenhouse gases at all. Fuck that! We need food on the table tomorrow!

About Al Gore, that is just another example of using the wrong arguments to make a point, so the guy has a footprint, how does that change anything about the message he brought? Why is it good fashion to go into naming and shaming and not speak of the message itself? And what does that way of acting against a difficult message remind you of? Surely I don't have to spell it out, right?

Here's a nice video. Unrelated to this specific topic, but very related to the train of thought some people have shown:

Note very carefully Michelle's wording about flat earth theories. Also note her tone of voice. Its the tone they use in primary school. Don't worry its just 30 seconds in.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
@Vayra86 Well said. The root of it seems to be cognitive dissonance, of which there's plenty to go round, unfortunately. :ohwell:

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
@Vayra86 Well said. The root of it seems to be cognitive dissonance, of which there's plenty to go round, unfortunately. :ohwell:

The root of every resistance to proven, necessary change is cognitive dissonance.

Nobody is immune to it. I suffer from that with regards to driving a car... there is no way I will ever want my car to drive ME. But realistically? The roads will be much safer, less crowded and used much more efficiently. But you can still find me saying 'I'm going to be a better driver than any self driving car' and 'No way a self driving car will be able to predict every situation right'.

I'm also not happy with the movement against all those things that spice up life, such as eating meat, driving a fast, noisy vehicle and a few dozen other things that evidently can be done more efficiently or are completely unnecessary to do. But to convert that unhappiness to 'man can never influence climate change'.. man that is an illusion I will never be able to live with. Its obvious that when you change a system so radically it will adapt. And we have changed many systems of this planet in a big way.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
The root of every resistance to proven, necessary change is cognitive dissonance.

Nobody is immune to it. I suffer from that with regards to driving a car... there is no way I will ever want my car to drive ME. But realistically? The roads will be much safer, less crowded and used much more efficiently.
I think I'm pretty resistant to it and doubt that I suffer it about anything. Speak for yourself! :p

Now you mention cars, I'm mixed about that, as it will take away, as well as bring benefits. A major benefit for me is a long distance endurance drive, where I invariably tend to sleep at the wheel, so I avoid it, or take extra rest breaks. On the minus side, I love driving and driving the car my way. ;) I won't be able to do that anymore. These scenarios are just one example.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
So who gets the big check in the "carbon credits scheme?" The green energy companies? The ones that literally need subsidies to survive? Oh my, I must have missed their scrooge McDuck vaults amongst all the lack of profits they are making.

I certainly don't get any kickbacks. And you can't say we are brainwashed with any real credibility. Reading actual science isn't brainwashing. Ignoring science and spouting a lack of evidence and the same tired disproven facts is.

I am reading a lot of words but not seeing much content. Still not seeing any data that proves humans are causing climate change.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I am reading a lot of words but not seeing much content. Still not seeing any data that proves humans are causing climate change.

Then you just fail hard at reading, it says everything about you and nothing about the data.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

Read. The. Last. 2. Pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.