• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Global Warming & Climate Change Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are.
Really? What is climate if it is not an average of weather conditions? The 2 are inextricably intertwined. To the the point that they are synonymous. When I say "the local climate is such and such", I could just as well say "the local weather is such and such", and the exact same point can be conveyed.

Anyway...to reiterate, and expand on, my original point(from my first post in this thread). None of this matters. In the grander scheme of things it is totally irrelevant. Humans are doing what humans will do. Nothing can be done about it. We are part of a natural process. There is no disconnect between us and any other part of nature...in the entire Universe. We are incapable of acting in a way that is unnatural. There cannot be anything fundamentally "wrong" with the way we exploit the resources of this planet. We are doing as all species before us have done. And all species after us will do. When we become part of the fossil record, and long after which when all trace of our existence here is permanently erased, does any of this matter? Are you fool enough to think it will?

But hey...if it makes you feel better devote your time and effort to something...then by all means do so. We are ultimately doomed though. 99% of all species that have existed on this planet are extinct. And there's no escaping the fact that unless we manage to leave this planet before the Sun expands and consumes it(like we have much chance of lasting anywhere near long enough for that to matter), we will become part of that statistic. In due time, even if we make our escape, that percentage will become 100. If we don't get ourselves, or some other thing does, the Universe(or more specifically entropy) has our number. NOTHING is permanent. NOTHING lasts forever.

We are not special. We are not important. We don't mean anything except to ourselves. We have no significance. Whether I/we "accept" or "deny" "climate change" makes no difference in the end. When all's said and done, we will not be rewarded for our efforts regardless.

This thread is pointless.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I don't think anybody is arguing that we can make the earth last forever. But some of us like this place and would like to be able to stay here a little longer. With that attitude we may as well all stay in bed, since one day it will be as though nobody ever existed and the last memory will fade.

I just can't understand that attitude. Yes, the earth could easily just sneeze us out of existence at any time, and that day will come. Doesn't make it a good idea to knowingly tickle its nose. I think it's simply human nature to act in self preservation whenever possible. There's knowing the end is coming, and then there is cherishing what you have. It's all the same in the end, but the choices we make now can influence the chances of whether that will be tomorrow or a long ways off. As mortal creatures, time is the most valuable asset we have. There will never be enough for us. When you have a limited amount of it, you strive to make it count and make sure you have as much of it as you can get.

You kinda said it, but there's another conclusion to follow up to. The universe doesn't give a shit about you or me. This is true. We don't mean anything except to ourselves. This also true. But why then, would we allow ourselves, as a collective, to do things that ultimately hurt everyone? If humanity cares about humanity, then it only makes sense to act in its own best interest. Neil Degrasse Tyson said it best "It's not the end of the world we're talking about... ...it's the end of US." If we could exist outside of the universe, we wouldn't care about it.

Most of us, I think simply want that to happen as far off as is humanly possible. For those of us in that boat it isn't a waste of time. This existence is a precarious, but very special one. Sometimes it doesn't need a reason. The fact that we exist is enough to justify our continued existence. It's not about the grand scheme of things. It's about being a conscious being, part of life. Of all of the things that can happen in the universe, it is about the least common occurrence known. That, in itself makes it worth sticking around for and exploring for as long as possible.... ...at least for us, as thinking and observing beings. The ability to learn and grow that much more has intrinsic meaning to us. It's just a fundamental part of being alive... ...seeing meaning where there truly is not. But then, it's about the journey, man. We all know were gonna rot in the ground and disintegrate! Doesn't stop people from wanting to push the limits of what is possible for us. Really no right or wrong there. Just got ask yourself what it really means to YOU. It's not like nothing can be done. Some things can't be prevented, but many outcomes can. Might as well try. Means about as much as anything, right?

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Really? What is climate if it is not an average of weather conditions? The 2 are inextricably intertwined.
Not really. Climate is a preponderance of conditions.

Let me give you an example. In south Louisiana I live in a subtropical CLIMATE. This winter we had a week of temperatures that went as low as 14 on a few days in January and it snowed 3 times (highly rare here). It was actually colder than Fairbanks that week.

That was cold WEATHER. However because of our CLIMATE, which is our norm, our temperatures in January quickly returned to overnight lows between 35 and 45. You see, climate is not weather. The abnormal cold didn’t change our area from subtropical.

Weather that is consistent and predominate ordains what an areas climate is. And climate can change with enough weather aberrations...until they are no longer aberrations.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
What is climate if it is not an average of weather conditions? The 2 are inextricably intertwined.

And different. One is a large area long term average, the other is a locale's immediate condition (ie it is raining).

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

The NOAA adjustments don't sway arguments one way or the other, it's the same trend so your example just don't make sense to me. By my logic? No bro, that's your logic I just said you don't "fiddle/adjust" numbers to reduce margin of error citing the example you gave on how you derived your approximations. I'm not going try and makes sense of you money analogy because your application is just fundamentally wrong, value of money is not an absolute, and data is regardless of how it's interpreted. To continue on the theme of money, let's say measurements pre 1940 are British Pounds and post are US Dollars, this applies because 1:1 they are measuring different things so what we do to solve this problem? We don't adjust make the proper CONVERSIONS by formulae, just because it was measured differently that temp data did not change over time. Two regarding the surface temp vs. at depth, surface temp is unreliable data, what are you supposed to do with unreliable data? Throw it out, not try make it work. Again before you try to dictate more of my logic because no one is not saying the earth is getting any hotter the disagreement is on why, I'm of the opinion that it is because there is too many of us. Well, specifically the more and more concrete we pour everyday to house more us. Concrete is displacing vegetation that takes in energy and converts it other forms that is mostly not heat where concrete absorbs this same energy and converts it to purely heat. I'm trying to figure out why people much smarter than me aren't seeing that areal density of green vegetation is going down, areas occupied by concrete jungles are going up and average temps are going up in a corresponding up direction. Wait they probably, do but that not what they are being paid to see, since everyone wants to argue about carbon emissions. Probably, won't be an issue until everyone is sitting around sweating in their underwear drawing lots on who lives and dies, hopefully I'll be long dead by then.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Concrete is displacing vegetation that takes in energy and converts it other forms that is mostly not heat where concrete absorbs this same energy and converts it to purely heat.
I used this same argument with @magibeg a long time ago and he put a word to the field: albedo. Have some articles on that in relation to climate:
https://www.climate.gov/climate-and-energy-topics/albedo

Fun fact: ice is extremely reflective. Land and water is not. What happens when ice melts? Environment gets hotter (after temporary cooling). There's so many interweaved feedback loops in relation to climate that is what lead to alarmism among some climatologists. It is scary knowing that one domino (thawing permafrost), triggers another (CH4 releases into atmosphere), leads to another (arctic circle warming), leads to another (ice melting), to another (arctic waters warm faster because darker albedo), to another (oceanic thermal conveyors are disrupted), that leads to another (warming across land), ad infinitum. We don't know if there is a tipping point. We don't know where the tipping point is if there is one. We don't know if we even crossed it if there is one. That's a lot of unknowns for a scientist and every time this process happened before, the information we have available is like trying to describe a jungle through a pinhole in a piece of paper. We're travelling into uncharted waters. Sailors need beware.

TL;DR: Albedo is important but it's impact on climate pales in comparison to greenhouse gases.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
For your perusal: Recent debate with none other than Dr. Michael Mann... And Dr. Judith Curry who I posted earlier.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Mann said the last time CO2 was high was 4 million years ago. To give that context, the first fossil records of mammals dates back 4.8 million years.

7 minutes in Mann talks about the jet stream gone wild.

Curry ignores AMOC slowing. Hoping one of the others points that out. Edit: They don't because this isn't actually a debate.

Curry points out "Climate Pragmatism": what I've advocated doing here and elsewhere. Good phrase to describe it.

Titley: Navy saying: "If you wait for 100% certainty, you're 100% dead."

Even though Trump is in denial about climate's impact on governance, the military and intelligence community is not. Titley gave an example of flooding problems at the Norfolk navy base.

Moore makes a lot of excellent points. I wonder what he thinks of CH4. I completely agree with him that there's no strong link between CO2 and temperature but that sounds like an opportunity to understand what governs temperature. Edit: In Q&A, he points out that (what should be obvious) carbon dioxide only makes up 0.04% of the air's composition. Nitrogen and water vapor constitute most of it.

It's hard to listen to the end of the video because of the mono sound only coming through the left speaker. Disappointed there wasn't much in the way of debate.

Moore's closing statements (about 1:29:45) are golden. I transcribed it below:
Dr. Patrick Moore said:
In 1970 there were approximately 6000 polar bears. Today there are somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000. That is a fact and they still say they're going extinct.

The word "consensus," when used in a sentence with "science," is false because consensus is a political and social word. That is a different arena than science. Science is about observation and replication, period. It is not about how many people are willing to jump off a cliff with you. It is not about lemmings. It is not about sheep. It is about individuals like Galileo, Darwin, Mandel, Newton, Einstein.

When Einstein published his Theory of Relativity as an obscure pub-patent joke. He was scoffed at by the rest of the physics community to the point where 100 physicists published a paper saying he was wrong. When asked what he thought of that he said, "why 100? One would do." 'Cause that's how science works with individuals making discoveries.

It's very seldom that 17,000 people come to the same brilliant conclusion all at the same time. That doesn't happen. This is becoming some kind of religion. Even the Pope is into it. Right? Original sin: humans. We're sinning against the world and nature by burning fossil fuels. That is a lie and it is not honest to say that this debate should be squelched because in science, if you say that, you are an activist, not a scientist.
It should be noted that Moore has a PhD in Ecology and bachelors in Forestry where the other three have a more climate/atmospheric background. He's basically been a consultant/lobbyist since the 1990s.

------------------------------------------------------

I had a conversation with some people and they reminded me that short term warming corelates with the rise of CO2 in the short term (years to hundreds of thousands of year):

Moore was talking about long term ( millions of years):

Which got me thinking about cloud coverage again. There was supposed to be research being done in that field but I can't find it today. I believe it was being conducted at a NOAA facility in Boulder, CO. They were attempting to model cloud impact on climate, especially man-made clouds: Contrails reduce daily temperature range.

Consider this: if we changed aircraft so they no longer belched CO2 but still created contrails, would the same change in temperatures be observed? I'd argue yes because the high, wispy, cirrus clouds that jets create let light in but reflect heat, causing a very strong, observed greenhouse effect. Human CO2 use strongly correlates with air travel especially post-1930s. The correlation between temperature and CO2 may not be a causation at all (as Moore put it, "insignificant").
aircraft.png

The Sahara isn't what it is because of global warming but because there's never any cloud cover shielding the Earth from the sun's scorching heat (blue is uncovered, red is covered):

Indeed every place on the planet that is perptually dry is due to a lack of cloud cover. It stands to reason that a minor change in cloud cover (and cloud type) can have a major impact on temperature.

Even finding that picture on number of aircraft tells us virtually nothing in regards to climate. All those planes could be sitting on a tarmac. I tried to find a graph for flight hours and one doesn't seem to exist. Additionally, altitude is very important in terms of producing contrails. There really needs to be a comprehensive study on this field of climate. It can easily explain why the prediction models consistently get it wrong.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
This is the perfect example of how warped and sad climate change fears truly are:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/cardinal-cupich-pope-bigger-agenda_Chicago-491855581.html

Catholic Cardinal: Climate change "Bigger Agenda" than Sex Abuse

Mind you, I'm a Christian myself.. I'm not here to bash religion. Just pointing out the absurdity of defending the "future" when there is clear and present danger (or past). It's like an amplified version of me complaining about how one shouldn't ignore clear and present dangers to economies. But here we're talking about kids. Regardless of the science, it's this that I find the most disturbing.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Indeed - Being the same (Christian) I find the above right on target.
Everything that's been discussed here so far has been about not only ourselves but esp future generations as well.

Can't change the past, it's future we have to look to.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
/bump (sorry..don't shoot!)

This may be the best mainstream documentary I've seen. How in the world did the BBC ever make this? :confused:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

This may be the best mainstream documentary I've seen. How in the world did the BBC ever make this? :confused:

That sounds dodgy from the title alone. The description confirms it.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
That sounds dodgy from the title alone. The description confirms it.

I was surprised from what I found within. Testimony from some of those so called "1000" scientists that backed studies (but actually didn't). Solid data from individuals from everything from NASA and Greenpeace to MIT. These aren't quacks.

As for the title, if you don't give implicit trust to politicians and bureaucracies, it easily fits. If you want to believe they're public servants, so be it. I think they have more reasons to be doing those jobs simply for themselves. Not every thief or criminal looks like an obvious gangster. And magicians aren't the only people who use sleight of hand (and if anything, magicians are the good guys.. since they always tell you afterwards).

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't think the fiddling of temperature data is as big of a scandal as the fiddling with metadata.

Take the "97% of climate studies/scientists agree that the global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause" claim...

This gets touted all the time. It comes from "Cook et al", a study that looked at almost 12 thousand papers on climate science. The claim is often said that 97% of them agreed with Anthropogenic Global Warming.

The REAL claim is that 97% of the papers THAT TOOK A STANCE on Anthropogenic Global Warming, agreed that the global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause.

That's a huge distinction, because of those nearly 12 thousand papers, how many actually took a stance? .....

Less than a third.

That means that a healthy 66% said that there's not enough data to make that claim.

So the REAL stat is that in that study, roughly 32% of scientific papers agreed that the global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause. And roughly 68% disagreed with one or both of those claims.

32% is quite a bit off from 97%... but 97% sounds a lot better doesn't it?

This isn't some conspiracy theory or fake news from Fox News. It's literally right there in the paper, IF you are willing to go read it, instead of letting CNN or Fox News have their way with your mind.

If you're surprised by that, I'm sure it's already been discussed here, but look into the inconsistent data modelling techniques of Bradley, Mann and Hughes. Once again... you can argue with me all you want, but it's right there in the paper, black and white.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
So the REAL stat is that in that study, roughly 32% of scientific papers agreed that the global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause. And roughly 68% disagreed with one or both of those claims.
I'm going to hold you to your own standard here: That's fiddling with metadata, and incorrect. 68% didn't disagree, they didn't believe they had enough evidence either way, and refrained from taking a stance. Saying "I don't know enough to say one way or the other", is not the same as stating that a stance is right or wrong.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I'm going to hold you to your own standard here: That's fiddling with metadata, and incorrect. 68% didn't disagree, they didn't believe they had enough evidence either way, and refrained from taking a stance. Saying "I don't know enough to say one way or the other", is not the same as stating that a stance is right or wrong.
68% were not on board with that, maybe?

Saying "I don't know enough to say one way or the other", is not the same as stating that a stance is right or wrong.

Actually, they simply failed to make any claims. Maybe the subject of "Anthropogenic Global Warming" wasn't mentioned, or even studied at all in those papers?

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Look plain and simple it's a scam from the elitists to make us poorer and live in coffins while they laugh their way to the bank on their 10th private jet.

Look at what these celebs do. Jet around and have lavish events that pollute a lot, accept some green award, and go on another private jet to another megamansion.

Ahhzz

Staff member
Actually, they simply failed to make any claims. Maybe the subject of "Anthropogenic Global Warming" wasn't mentioned, or even studied at all in those papers?
Fair enough. I don't have the time (or inclination and patience) to prowl thru the ones referenced in that study from 5 years ago, and see if anyone mentioned it a different way, or simply never mentioned it at all. I guess a good way to place it is "68% ignored the question of Global Warming" heheh

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro

Fair point, but incorrect.

The statement to qualify as "agreeing" is to definitively state that "The global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause." To say that there is not enough evidence one way or another, IS to disagree with that statement, as that statement is a definitive.

As for the mentioned idea above that those papers didn't mention it at all, that is incorrect as well. That was part of the criteria for the paper to be part of the study.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64

The BBC didn't.

Ahhzz

Staff member
Fair point, but incorrect.

The statement to qualify as "agreeing" is to definitively state that "The global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause." To say that there is not enough evidence one way or another, IS to disagree with that statement, as that statement is a definitive.

As for the mentioned idea above that those papers didn't mention it at all, that is incorrect as well. That was part of the criteria for the paper to be part of the study.
Sorry, it was my understanding that the "Cook et al" referenced was simply a look at a multitude of papers which analyzed earlier peer-reviewed articles on climate change in general, not a study that set out to answer the question "Who agrees with 'The global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause.' " If I've misunderstood the purpose of the Cook research, I apologize. I did find an article on Forbes which seems to uphold my understanding, but I've been mistaken multiple times today alone :)

To support my statement, I refer to the actual Cook et al paper itself, where the opening abstract states:

Abstract
We analyze the evolution of the scientific consensus on anthropogenic global warming (AGW) in the peer-reviewed
scientific literature, examining 11 944 climate abstracts from 1991–2011 matching the topics ‘global climate
change’ or ‘global warming’. We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed
AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing
a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming.

It doesn't say "they looked to see who agreed with AGW", but "Among ~12,000 papers who mentioned Global Warming, did any of those researchers take a stance on AGW, and if so, what?" The researchers in those papers weren't all answering a question of "The global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause", but merely in some shape, examining Global Warming at all.

I think the point stands. Of those 12k papers mentioning Global Warming, 67% had "No Comment" as to "The global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause", and of the rest (33%-ish) which did comment about AGW, 97% of them had statements that could be read in support of that statement.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X

Watched it and agreed with it. I really don't have anything to argue against.

Sorry, it was my understanding that the "Cook et al" referenced was simply a look at a multitude of papers which analyzed earlier peer-reviewed articles on climate change in general, not a study that set out to answer the question "Who agrees with 'The global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause.' " If I've misunderstood the purpose of the Cook research, I apologize. I did find an article on Forbes which seems to uphold my understanding, but I've been mistaken multiple times today alone :)

To support my statement, I refer to the actual Cook et al paper itself, where the opening abstract states:

Abstract
We analyze the evolution of the scientific consensus on anthropogenic global warming (AGW) in the peer-reviewed
scientific literature, examining 11 944 climate abstracts from 1991–2011 matching the topics ‘global climate
change’ or ‘global warming’. We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed
AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing
a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming.

It doesn't say "they looked to see who agreed with AGW", but "Among ~12,000 papers who mentioned Global Warming, did any of those researchers take a stance on AGW, and if so, what?" The researchers in those papers weren't all answering a question of "The global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause", but merely in some shape, examining Global Warming at all.

I think the point stands. Of those 12k papers mentioning Global Warming, 67% had "No Comment" as to "The global temperature is rising, and humans are the cause", and of the rest (33%-ish) which did comment about AGW, 97% of them had statements that could be read in support of that statement.
Cook is a political activist, not a climate scientist. I've gone over the BS "study" so many times, I'd rather gouge my own eyes out than do it again.

Fact: Almost all of the heat on the Earth originates from the sun.
Fact: Solar spots have a direct correlation with climate on Earth.
Fact: 95% of greenhouse effect is caused by water vapor.
Fact: Clouds can have both a warming and cooling effect depending on type.
Fact: Cosmic radiation is related to cloud formation.
Fact: Climate modeling of clouds in these CO2-heavy models is terrible.
Fact: It is nearly impossible to get environment research money without mentioning "global warming" or "climate change" in your proposal.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro

Ahhzz

Staff member
Watched it and agreed with it. I really don't have anything to argue against.

Cook is a political activist, not a climate scientist.
Fair enough. However, wasn't he evaluating papers from actual research scientists? And if all he did was look at their "opening statements" (the "Abstract"), to see if that stated an agreement, disagreement, or agnostic response to AGW, how is that not relevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.