• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The future isn't EV cars, hydrogen, or even hyperloop. I was wrong. The future is Aptera Solar Powered Cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Honestly, for 25 grand, I am considering saving up and buying this. No fuel cost for my commute = amazing, and on days when the sun doesn't shine enough, I can plug it in and charge it overnight I guess. If I get the 400 mile range though for only 29 grand... (1000 mile range is only 45 grand...) the amount of my commute in miles, and even cloudy days, won't matter so much, because I won't use that many miles before the next sunny days.
No more reliance on oil companies, no more reliance on geopolitical games, no more reliance on utilities companies... this is FREEEDOOM!!!! - HOW LONG HAVE I SOUGHT THEE???:

GO TO 1:15MINS IN!!! ^^^^

1000 MILE RANGE!!! THIS IS FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE KNEELING BEFORE THE OVERLORDS!!!!!!!!! :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout:

I had it wrong all along, the future isn't traditional EV, hydrogen, or hyperloop. This is the future, it's not a joke anymore, they are already in production of beta models. My guess is officially launch will be pushed back to 2023 though.

edit: its not in Alpha anymore as the first video shows, its in Beta now. and a lot has changed according to new videos from last week that I also linked above.

old links that are now retired and make no sense, only solar makes sense now:

Last edited:
Interesting concept car. Lots of great ideas. Kinda ugly though. They need to make something a lot more stylish.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Interesting concept car. Lots of great ideas. Kinda ugly though. They need to make something a lot more stylish.

They wouldn't be able to achieve 1000 mile range then, as the whole goal is the 0.13 coefficient against wind, less than a Tesla by a lot.

I like the looks of it (the silver only version looks like a dolphin kind of), I like that it has a built in tent/awning as well, this would be amazing to camp with and see a bit of the world in.

There are only about 5 states that require a motorcycle license to drive 3-wheel vehicles, but most people would be able to drive this with a regular driving license.

I think this is the future. It makes a lot of sense. Freedom from utility companies and gas station fill ups, and hydrogen logistics... 40 miles per day... lets say you only get 30 even if your car supports the full 40. I mean most people have a day or two off they aren't doing anything, so if you get the 600 or 1000 mile range vehicle, the days off will add up rather quick, might not ever have to plug it in, depending on your commute, time of year, etc. Amazing.

It's a shame Congress has not given this thing a tax incentive like it has for other EV cars, this one makes a lot of sense imo.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Honestly, for 25 grand, I am considering saving up and buying this. No fuel cost for my commute = amazing, and on days when the sun doesn't shine enough, I can plug it in and charge it overnight I guess. If I get the 400 mile range though for only 29 grand... (1000 mile range is only 45 grand...) the amount of my commute in miles, and even cloudy days, won't matter so much, because I won't use that many miles before the next sunny days.
No more reliance on oil companies, no more reliance on geopolitical games, no more reliance on utilities companies... this is FREEEDOOM!!!! - HOW LONG HAVE I SOUGHT THEE???:

GO TO 1:15MINS IN!!! ^^^^

1000 MILE RANGE!!! THIS IS FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE KNEELING BEFORE THE OVERLORDS!!!!!!!!! :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout:

I had it wrong all along, the future isn't traditional EV, hydrogen, or hyperloop. This is the future, it's not a joke anymore, they are already in production of beta models. My guess is officially launch will be pushed back to 2023 though.

edit: its not in Alpha anymore as the first video shows, its in Beta now. and a lot has changed according to new videos from last week that I also linked above.

old links that are now retired and make no sense, only solar makes sense now:

Old news and you clearly found another clickbait source ;) one per day keeps the doctor away?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Old news and you clearly found another clickbait source ;) one per day keeps the doctor away?

I disagree, this isn't about breaking records, this is a tangible product someone can buy at 25 grand that gives them freedom from utilities companies and gas companies, why you would want to degrade that boggles my mind. Also, why would I care about clickbait titles? I get no monetary gains from any of my topics. Even the $10 I won from @W1zzard for being very active I immediately donated/giveaway to someone else as soon as I won it. Not here for the money, here because I am sad the world won't change, as I often say, humans are capable of so much, yet so little...so what is my incentive for making clickbait titles as you are suggesting I am doing? This is freedom, all of our lives are tied to energy in one way or the other, and this is affordable and not hypothetical.

Sure it wouldn't work for cloudy parts of the world, but even large parts of USA that are cloudy still get quite a bit of sun, and in the off months a charger can be used (fyi it accepts every charger there is according to the FAQS page). That is impressive.

I would like to know what the warranty lifespan/charge cycle count is on the batteries though, and how much to replace them, etc.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I disagree, this isn't about breaking records, this is a tangible product someone can buy at 25 grand that gives them freedom from utilities companies and gas companies, why you would want to degrade that boggles my mind. Also, why would I care about clickbait titles? I get no monetary gains from any of my topics. Even the $10 I won from @W1zzard for being very active I immediately donated/giveaway to someone else as soon as I won it. Not here for the money, here because I am sad the world won't change, as I often say, humans are capable of so much, yet so little...so what is my incentive for making clickbait titles as you are suggesting I am doing? This is freedom, all of our lives are tied to energy in one way or the other, and this is affordable and not hypothetical.

Sure it wouldn't work for cloudy parts of the world, but even large parts of USA that are cloudy still get quite a bit of sun, and in the off months a charger can be used (fyi it accepts every charger there is according to the FAQS page). That is impressive.

I would like to know what the warranty lifespan/charge cycle count is on the batteries though, and how much to replace them, etc.

Tangible? 25K?

You can pre order this. It does not exist yet. 25K gets you a 250 mile battery. GL on just solar with that. The 1000 mile battery wont work on just solar either. You will be using a charge point daily.

And thats the marketing story. I drive an EV. 420km (300mi?) rated is now 250km on winter tires. In bad weather comditions you can drop to 200KM of range. I need to charge daily. I also have 10 solar panels worth 3100kwh rated. On a sunny day those deliver about enough charge for one full 54KW battery. Price: 39K euro.

Other aspects: this Aptera thingy has no boot. You can transport yourself. Public transport does that too but doesnt cost 25K and can also go electric. Four bags of groceries? Thatll be fun in this 'car' ;) It also means that the range is determined based on transporting minimal weight.

The real scenario is that you are paying 44900 bucks or more for 1000 mile range, no boot space and a very small range of use cases. And in practical use, it does not avoid fossil at all because charging still happens on a non green energy grid.

Stop running away with every marketing story you read, man ;)

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Tangible? 25K?

You can pre order this. It does not exist yet. 25K gets you a 250 mile battery. GL on just solar with that. The 1000 mile battery wont work on just solar either. You will be using a charge point daily.

And thats the marketing story. I drive an EV. 420km (300mi?) rated is now 250km on winter tires. In bad weather comditions you can drop to 200KM of range. I need to charge daily. I also have 10 solar panels worth 3100kwh rated. On a sunny day those deliver about enough charge for one full 54KW battery. Price: 39K euro.

Other aspects: this Aptera thingy has no boot. You can transport yourself. Public transport does that too but doesnt cost 25K and can also go electric. Four bags of groceries? Thatll be fun in this 'car' ;) It also means that the range is determined based on transporting minimal weight.

The real scenario is that you are paying 44900 bucks or more for 1000 mile range, no boot space and a very small range of use cases. And in practical use, it does not avoid fossil at all because charging still happens on a non green energy grid.

Stop running away with every marketing story you read, man ;)

there is a large space behind the two seats. plenty of room for camper cooler, groceries, what have you. not sure where you are getting that. plenty of room for me anyway. lets forget the solar even exists. 25k for a 250 mile range with a 0.13 coefficient (which means those miles will go further than a standard EV car due to less drag), still beats every single other EV on the market in price range. the Nissan Leaf is like 127 mile range at 29k...

solar depending how much you drive is still awesome benefit imo. at not much extra cost

also, if the entire grid collapses someday, which is not impossible, you could still chug along, but eh, that's not really the point here.

for your use case @Vayra86 this is probably not a good car, but for most people who have a small commute and live in sunny areas, 25k is hard to beat.

but for most people who have a small commute and live in sunny areas, 25k is hard to beat.
This. For many use case scenarios in many area's of the world, this kind of thing could work well. Where I live? Not going to work so well, we get WAY too much snow and cloudy days during the later half of autumn, winter and early spring.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This. For many use case scenarios in many area's of the world, this kind of thing could work well. Where I live? Not going to work so well, we get WAY too much snow and cloudy days during the later half of autumn, winter and early spring.

I was about to type, "yeah and England and Ireland can also forget something like this" but then I just remembered that gas/diesel is much more expensive there than it is here, and this would still be the cheapest EV with that kind of range on the market. Hmm, not sure how well it's turn radius is though, it would need to be very agile for those small roads over there. If I had the money to by a Tesla Model 3 brand new or for same price get a 1000 mile range EV, forget the solar panels, and I lived in England/Ireland, I'd take the 1000 mile range any day. That's plenty to see large swaths of England/Ireland since they are so condensed/lot of charging stations popping up.

Apparently this will support Tesla Supercharger "hopefully" it says in FAQS page, I think they are just waiting for permission from Elon, he will probably say yes, who knows with Elon, just depends if he feels like laughing that day or not.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
there is a large space behind the two seats. plenty of room for camper cooler, groceries, what have you. not sure where you are getting that. plenty of room for me anyway. lets forget the solar even exists. 25k for a 250 mile range with a 0.13 coefficient (which means those miles will go further than a standard EV car due to less drag), still beats every single other EV on the market in price range. the Nissan Leaf is like 127 mile range at 29k...

solar depending how much you drive is still awesome benefit imo. at not much extra cost

also, if the entire grid collapses someday, which is not impossible, you could still chug along, but eh, that's not really the point here.

for your use case @Vayra86 this is probably not a good car, but for most people who have a small commute and live in sunny areas, 25k is hard to beat.

Thing is, so far we have seen that the low range cars are not here to stay and even 'small commute' struggles with the early EVs like the BMW i3 with about 300km WLTP range - they drop below 150Km in bad conditions which is usually saying 'recharge on the road for daily commute'. Saw a lot of those used for exactly the use case you describe. They had issues. Many drivers encountered problems in daily commute. Almost everywhere the trend is pushing range up or people wont feel comfy. Range anxiety is a thing.

The practical consideration is that you need quite a lot of 'spare' range to drive without those issues. Even sunny areas get windy, for example. Its clear this car is aimed at a use case you describe, but I think thats the use case where public transport can be and IS a whole lot more efficient and cheaper. If you leave the emotion of driving your own car behind, what is the gain here really? Because you are still going to have to resort to more expenses for longer range movement, too...

Also. 250 miles rated is not 'a better mile because of better drag coefficient' - those bonus points are already in the mile range measurement. Therefore you will have a much stronger adverse impact from adding weight, but also from weather conditions. The range relies on a much tighter set of ideal conditions. EVs are strange like that. Heavier EVs suffer less from adding weight because in a relative sense, you are adding less.

You're not any more independent from anything with a more efficient car ;) Running on solar alone aint happening. I wont contest it can be competitive in the market, but there are a lot of caveats here, much like all types of EVs have their tradeoffs.

Turn radius and general road behavior of most EVs is stellar, weight can be placed much lower in the car and divided over all wheels.

Aptera claims that even with the most optimal setup (1K mile range, full solar package) and 'sun level 8' you already need the grid if you travel 35 miles per day. So yeah... gl with 250 miles...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

You are correct that this would be useless in UK/IRL. I have seen 1 tesla in my city, and pretty much only a few other EV's. Petrol is very expensive here compared to the USA, but our GOV is greedy and taxes the feck out of it.

I would love a full EV, but charging it is not green even though it does not in itself pollute, the power to charge it is.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You are correct that this would be useless in UK/IRL. I have seen 1 tesla in my city, and pretty much only a few other EV's. Petrol is very expensive here compared to the USA, but our GOV is greedy and taxes the feck out of it.

I would love a full EV, but charging it is not green even though it does not in itself pollute, the power to charge it is.

as someone who walked on streets of UK in the past and had to smell ****** diesel fumes cause the cars are so damn close to the sidewalks, I absolutely prob damaged my health some from that experience. i could care less where the electricity comes from, but Europe and UK, especially in those medieval cities where everything is condensed need to be electric only imo for this reason alone. its just an unpleasant experience trying to enjoy your day and sightsee and have to smell some **** car, most you can't smell, but even then they are prob still damaging your health.

System Name myPC
Processor i5-11600k @ stock
Motherboard Asus TUF Z590 Gaming Plus
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 3060 ti
Storage Boot: WD Black SN770 1TB - Game Storage: WD Black SN770 2TB - Other Storage: 4TB
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 curved 27" 1440p 144hz
Case Thermaltake v100 perforated
Audio Device(s) Some headphones and some speakers
Power Supply Gigabyte UD750GM
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Redragon K509
Software W11 Pro

For a small commute, I recommend a bicycle.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
They haven't had a lot of success delivering this in the past. I'll just drop this here.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I'm all for electric vehicles and solar power, but sunlight is about 1 KW per square meter at best, so the solar cells on the car are not remotely enough; not even sure they are enough to run air-conditioning when the car is not running, perhaps enough to run a fan in the Summer.

That said, electric cars are the future.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
They haven't had a lot of success delivering this in the past. I'll just drop this here.

they discuss this with Jay Leno in the first video i linked in post one, that was due to the 2008 economic crisis. nice way to just post negativity without context though

I'm all for electric vehicles and solar power, but sunlight is about 1 KW per square meter at best, so the solar cells on the car are not remotely enough; not even sure they are enough to run air-conditioning when the car is not running, perhaps enough to run a fan in the Summer.

That said, electric cars are the future.

they can do up to 40 miles charging per day, prob more realistically 28 per day for those outside of california/nevada region etc

even at 28, that is most all anyone needs for a short commute, especially since those other miles will be gained back on days you don't really drive anywhere

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Part of my earlier point. Making a good EV isn't easy and this has many traits of not being a good one. Will it find a purpose? Possibly.

We have a Dutch start up trying something similar.

They're a lot closer to production of something realistic. But we can expect many of these concepts to pop up in the coming years.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Part of my earlier point. Making a good EV isn't easy and this has many traits of not being a good one. Will it find a purpose? Possibly.

We have a Dutch start up trying something similar.

They're a lot closer to production of something realistic. But we can expect many of these concepts to pop up in the coming years.

hey at least they are trying. all we do is sit on our asses and talk on tech forums.

System Name myPC
Storage Boot: WD Black SN770 1TB - Game Storage: WD Black SN770 2TB - Other Storage: 4TB
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Redragon K509
Software W11 Pro
I was thinking in small in terms of American cities. like 15 miles each way small. lol

and no ty in negative 6 degree weather which it was last week here.
15 miles isn't untenable on a bike, even in sub freezing temperatures. If it is, add a battery and motor. Maybe it just isn't for you though. -6(F, C?) is a bit inconvenient, but how well do you think solar panels work in the winter? (Hint: not great.)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
15 miles isn't untenable on a bike, even in sub freezing temperatures. If it is, add a battery and motor. Maybe it just isn't for you though. -6(F, C?) is a bit inconvenient, but how well do you think solar panels work in the winter? (Hint: not great.)

like I said in the first post, during the two months out of 12 that is deep winter here... can plug it in...

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Is no one going to comment on how wide this thing is? Nearly half a meter wider than my Corolla! And that form factor looks like it would be a pain to handle.

It's an interesting concept, but I'd rather keep my PVs stationary on a roof top, plenty of space, plenty of storage capacity, plus you get to make your independence from big-oil more solid.

I'm all for electric vehicles and solar power, but sunlight is about 1 KW per square meter at best, so the cells on the car are not remotely enough; not even sure they are enough to run air-conditioning when the car is not running, perhaps enough to run a fan in the Summer.

The panels are rated for 700w peak. Could generate the necessary amount to drive the stated distance under very favourable conditions. Problem is, without actually seeing numbers from an independent third party, the power generation estimates and energy consumption/km figures are little more than marketing bs (unless you're on a low sodium diet).
Not saying that their claims are impossible, but I personally wouldn't bite into the hype just yet.

As for air conditioning: Do note that this is a battery-equipped machine that has a very small internal volume to cool. You don't need big panels to run an AC. Granted, doing so would cut down the range figures, but it would do so to any other type of vehicle. Energy-wise, the PV contribution to cost reduction holds either way.

System Name myPC
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Redragon K509
Software W11 Pro
like I said in the first post, during the two months out of 12 that is deep winter here... can plug it in...
"Here" isn't everywhere. It's functionality just a stripped down electric car, with a solar panel. It won't be replacing anything anytime soon. Pre-ordering this is ridiculous.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Is no one going to comment on how wide this thing is? Nearly half a meter wider than my Corolla! And that form factor looks like it would be a pain to handle.

It's an interesting concept, but I'd rather keep my PVs stationary on a roof top, plenty of space, plenty of storage capacity, plus you get to make your independence from big-oil more solid.

The panels are rated for 700w peak. Could generate the necessary amount to drive the stated distance under very favourable conditions. Problem is, without actually seeing numbers from an independent third party, the power generation estimates and energy consumption/km figures are little more than marketing bs (unless you're on a low sodium diet).
Not saying that their claims are impossible, but I personally wouldn't bite into the hype just yet.

As for air conditioning: Do note that this is a battery-equipped machine that has a very small internal volume to cool. You don't need big panels to run an AC. Granted, doing so would cut down the range figures, but it would do so to any other type of vehicle. Energy-wise, the PV contribution to cost reduction holds either way.

I do agree, I'd like to see numbers from a third party reviewer, etc.

I disagree however on the size, looks about normal to me, based on the cars parked next to it.

"Here" isn't everywhere. It's functionality just a stripped down electric car, with a solar panel. It won't be replacing anything anytime soon. Pre-ordering this is ridiculous.

its good for a lot of peoples use contexts, just not yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.