• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Heatsink with NO FAN...The Sandia Cooler

specks

System Name Spreadsheet powerhouse
Processor Two P4s glued together
Motherboard Asus P5KPL-AM EPU
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper TX3
Memory 2gb (2x1gb) Kingston Value Ram DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4670 1gb GDDR3 w/ Arctic Cooling Accelero L7
Storage 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
Display(s) Philips 191EL 18.5"
Case Thermaltake V4 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 600W
Software WinXp
Its kinda hard to see how this layer of air is going to transfer heat when air is better off an insulator than a conductor.

NHKS

Its kinda hard to see how this layer of air is going to transfer heat when air is better off an insulator than a conductor.

I understand skepticism is what one would feel on first seeing this concept.. but here is are some facts behind the concept according to Sandia:

In the Sandia Cooler, the heatsink itself is the fan. It is a cast metal impeller that floats on a hydrodynamic air bearing just a thousandth of an inch (0.03 millimeters) above a metal heat pipe spreader, powered by a brushless motor in the middle.

The prototype (shown in the video) is 10 times smaller than a commercial state-of-the-art cooler, but has the same cooling performance.

The Sandia Cooler’s impeller blades can have a geometry that perfectly splits the air at the impeller entrance (in the middle) and rejoins the air flow at the exit (the edges).

The dust immunity derives from two facets of the Sandia Cooler’s design:
a) Because they’re constantly moving at 2000+ RPM, it’s almost impossible for dust to settle on the heatsink’s blades, and
b) Centrifugal force drives out any dust from the tiny air gap between the heatsink and heat spreader.

This centrifugal force is what gives the Sandia Cooler such massive efficiency, too. In standard heatsinks, the heat exchange surface is covered in “dead air” boundary layer that acts as an insulator; in the Sandia Cooler, the centrifugal force reduces the thickness of this boundary layer by 10 times.

I am not sold on these claims until they bring out the final product, but I want to believe they can.

More references:
Presentation by Sandia
Sandia Cooler page

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the only part i disagree with is that 2000 RPM will stop dust. we all know it wont, because that PC will get turned off sooner or later. also, hair.

You are incorrect sir.

For those who don't understand, here's a crash course in physics.

There are three total ways for heat to be transferred; radiation, convection, and conduction. Examples of these are:
Radiation: The sun has a functionally empty void between it and the Earth, yet it transfers energy to us through radiation.
Convection: Think ovens. The heat comes from the element, but the entire fluid (air inside the oven) gets hot. Hotter fluids and cooler fluids mix and flow so that they come to thermal equilibrium.
Conduction: Normal heatsinks. Direct contact transfers thermal energy from one body to another, through the contact surface.

Now, fluids retain heat at different rates. Think about it as such, the air temperature can vary several degrees during the day. In the Midwest of the US it has been recorded to be sunny and warm (~70F) during the day, but drop down to below freezing over night. On the other hand, Lake Superior never changes mean temperature by more than a few degrees over the course of a week. This illustrates that the thermal capacity of water is different than that of air.

Moving on, the temperature of something is determined to be either stable, cooling or heating. This is determined by the flow of heat. Imagine that you have a bucket, which has holes along the side. You begin pouring water into the bucket. The bucket is an object, the water being poured in is heat being generated from operation, and the holes are transfer of heat. You heat up if the rate of water being poured in is higher than the rate it drains from the holes. If you pour water in at the same rate it is being drained you've got a constant temperature. If you pour water in slower than it drains you've got cooling.

Combining these three ideas, we can discern the following:
1) Air needs flow faster over a heatsink (as compared to water or oil), in order to have the same heat transfer rate as those fluids do (combine lesson 2 and 3).
2) Air contact can be just as effective as other fluid contact, given the right conditions. You can increase convective cooling dramatically, and make it as effective as conductive cooling (combine lesson 1 and 2).

So, as far as hydrodynamics goes, I'm going to glaze over most of that, given it would take a semester in college to get anything besides the basic idea. Be forewarned.

All known fluids (yes, we theorize perfect fluids exist, but can't replicate them on Earth) have a viscosity. Viscosity is the tendency for a fluid to resist flowing. Think honey (viscous), versus water (less viscous), for an example.

Viscosity is a property of both the fluid, and the forces applied on the fluids. Think about swimming in water, versus hitting it at 80 Mph. So the faster you move, the greater the viscosity of a fluid. Air is a fluid, so at some speed the viscosity of air will actually be a palpable force.

Combining this, a flow of air moving at great speeds could act like a solid, and provide enough force to separate two other solids.

This is the idea behind an air bearing. A device moves so fast that the airflow it generates creates a "cushion" for the component to ride on. As the friction from fluid shear is significantly lower than that of kinetic friction (solid moving across another solid), you get a low friction bearing that has an ideally limitless lifespan due to not being worn away.

Now combine hydrodynamics and thermodynamics, and you get this fan. Fast airflow creates a cushion for the fan blades to ride on (functionally 0 noise, due to 0 physical contact). Fast airflow allows both efficient convective and conductive cooling to occur. The only problem that remains is the motor driving the fans. A brushless DC motor could generate a long lifespan, low noise, extremely efficient cooler. If you were to use a noisy motor, you can account for the noise in the video. Everything else is legitimate, but there are two remaining concerns. Construction to the tolerances required may be an interesting proposition, and the quickly spinning fan blades are a major concern. If Sandia can finally overcome that (i.e. why these aren't already in production) then they've got a winner.

Edit:
Thanks Kreij, I did screw up the name. It has been changed to read conduction properly. Whoops.

Edit:
Arrgh, another error because typing being faster than my brain (yes, intentional screw-up there). Thanks to Completely Bonkers for finding my capacity/conductivity screw-up.

Last edited:

specks

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software WinXp
:wtf: you an engineer or somethin?

specks

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software WinXp
Ok i guess im a dumbass

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
I'd buy one of these things. The concept seems sound, and I do hate fan noise.

With regards to the 2000RPM will not stop dust because it'll get switched off, I imagine it'll all get blown out as soon as you turn it on.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@lilhassel : In your very good physics lesson you listed convection twice in the three type of heat transfer. The last one should be conduction. ;)
(Not an mech. eng., but I'm not a bad proofreader. lol)

So put a water block on the CPU and use this baby to cool the rad and it's win-win !! :D

popswala

System Name Deep Space // Black Mystery
Processor AMD Phen II X4 945 oc'd 3.4GHz // I7 870 oc'd 4.0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 AM3+ // MSI P55-GD80
Cooling Corsair H50 w/ x2 gelid wing blue 120mm // Tt Frio OCK
Memory G. Skill Snipers DDR3 1600 2x4GB // G.Skill Tridents DDR3 2000 2x2GB
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 275 // eVGA GTX 460 SC 768mb oc'd (830/1620/2000
Storage Seagate 1TBx2 7200.12 /1.5TB/500GB/750GB // Mushkin Collistro 60GB
Display(s) LG 23" 2353v-pf 1920x1080p // None
Case Tt Chazer MK-1 // NZXT Phantom black modded
Audio Device(s) Logitech G51 5.1 // None
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850w // Corsair HX1000W
Software Win 7 Ult X64 // Win 7 Ult X64
Benchmark Scores Crunching & Folding 24/7 Help Save Lives!!!
I remember this on tpu a while back. I just watched he video to it. Pretty neat seeing it in action.

Got a question about it though. While its on and it hovers with that slight air blanket between it, How does the heat transfer from the base metal through the air blanket to the impeller or is it being cooled another way. I see the the air funneling into the middle opening where the motor is but I don't get how it cools.

*Scratch that lol. I just read that 2nd quote in NHKS's post. Sounds like the air coming into the middle replaces the air blanket and the air blanket is pushed out drawing the heat with it. Sis I get that right?

If that's a smaller version of it, then it'll look beastly when its full size and better have a cage over it lol

Last edited:

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
First saw this last year some time and was very intrigued. Glad to see they're not only still working on it, but they seem to have a design that may be ready for production.

wow nice
but you need to watch the fin and i cant stand the ziiiing sound

I would imagine the finished product would have some sort of cage around it to prevent injury.
Also, that sound you hear from the motor will be damn near inaudible when they put a shroud over the motor.

NHKS

THANKS for the effort put in explaining Heat transfer, lilhasselhoffer...

basically another difference(or advantage?) this cooler has with conventional fin-based cooler is that the heatsink itself is made to move thru the cooling medium (in this case 'air') rather than air(from fan) moving over fins... air from a cooling fan is always turbulent... so, that means boundary layer is more stable (less turbulence) at high speeds and hence better transfer takes place..

let me know if I am wrong..

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Nice idea. But it needs to be mounted PERFECTLY horizontally for it to work (and lift) on the bed of air. The design has to be 100% perfect, just like your car wheels need to be balanced, this will need very accurate balancing. Expensive. There will be uses for this... but not in consumer PC's. It just isnt practical or cost effective in this situation.

lilhasselhoffer +1. nice laymans explanation, except this:
Now, fluids retain heat at different rates. Think about it as such, the air temperature can vary several degrees during the day. In the Midwest of the US it has been recorded to be sunny and warm (~70F) during the day, but drop down to below freezing over night. On the other hand, Lake Superior never changes mean temperature by more than a few degrees over the course of a week. This illustrates that the thermal conductivity of water is different than that of air.
which would get you a college -1. This is the thermal capacity, mass and volume that determines that ability of the late to retain the heat (or indeed the air to cool), and not just conductivity! ;) hehe

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Nice idea. But it needs to be mounted PERFECTLY horizontally for it to work (and lift) on the bed of air. The design has to be 100% perfect, just like your car wheels need to be balanced, this will need very accurate balancing. Expensive. There will be uses for this... but not in consumer PC's. It just isnt practical or cost effective in this situation.

They say the opposite. Any direction for mounting, and not that expensive, and tolerances don't need to be that tight.

Sandia is a division of Lockheed Martin, IIRC, so I have no doubt they have the brainpower and technology available to make this a reality.

Anyway, I jsut say that the video was newly uploaded, thought some might find it interesting. Perhaps we'l lsee a heatsink with it, perhaps not. Apparantly it's very likely to end up as a cooler for LED lighting...?

They can have all the brain power and all but this thing is still a finger cutter. 2000 RPM and a metal rotating piece of blunt blades. Stick a finger in it and bang, the finger is gone.
Also god forbid that you'd accidentally get a wire in it. Bang and the wire is gone. Just make sure it's not a 230V one...

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Software Win 10 64
They can have all the brain power and all but this thing is still a finger cutter. 2000 RPM and a metal rotating piece of blunt blades. Stick a finger in it and bang, the finger is gone.
Also god forbid that you'd accidentally get a wire in it. Bang and the wire is gone. Just make sure it's not a 230V one...

As with all dangerous items, common sense is a must. You wouldn't put your hand under a running lawn mower, would you?

Processor C2D E8400@3.9GHz (488x8, 1.4v :( )
Motherboard Abit IP35-E
Cooling Thermaltake Sonic Tower+120mm fan
Memory 2GB kingmax ddr1066@976MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Radeon X1800GTO @700/1400MHz with Accelero S1+Glacialtech fancard
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 793s... just you laugh...
Case some Aplus case
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC888
Power Supply Chieftec 450W
Software Win7 x64
you can put a plate on the rotor blades and there's less concern about tools loosing fingers.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
Software Win 10 64
It's not the same. I can easily stick a finger in any plastic fan (maybe not in 7k RPM Delta but still). I wouldn't touch this monstrosity...

Again, common sense. Just because you can stick your finger in a plastic fan without it hurting you(depending on type. obviously Delta, San-Ace, Scythe will draw blood or worse) doesn't mean you should. It can throw the fan off balance, damage the motor, break a fin, etc.

Besides, you shouldn't have your hands inside your computer while it's running anyway. There's more to worry about than getting injured from a fan.;)

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Whines just like my water pump!

Again, common sense. Just because you can stick your finger in a plastic fan without it hurting you(depending on type. obviously Delta, San-Ace, Scythe will draw blood or worse) doesn't mean you should. It can throw the fan off balance, damage the motor, break a fin, etc.

Besides, you shouldn't have your hands inside your computer while it's running anyway. There's more to worry about than getting injured from a fan.;)

Who says anyone is intentionally sticking fingers into fans? Such things happen during maintenance or testing when systems are running, either for debugging or finding out other sorts of issues.

Most blenders also have security switches to prevent cutting of fingers if bowl is opened.
Common sense says you shouldn't do that but apparently ppl still do it if they have to add such security mechanisms. So you also can't just assume ppl won't stick fingers in this thing.
Common sense or without it.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
That coolers fan frequency would drive me up the wall... Big Time!!!!! :wtf:

I'm going by that video!

that cooler in a tank full of mineral oil would be something to be desired! :respect:

*EDIT* Dave was that you @ 5:24 in the video? The guy in the middle of the screen? hehhehe

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
lets see if it works... it seems unpractical, which in the end will limit the total amount of heat it can dissipate in that design... the theory is sound and all but with that little disk to work with... meh. Just because something is "more efficient" doesn't mean better.

I could put a frozen yogurt on a chip and it will be the most efficient sink on the market for about 13 seconds.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I could put a frozen yogurt on a chip and it will be the most efficient sink on the market for about 13 seconds.

:laugh:

Good thought. Yet still, I cannot help but hope that this sees some sort of success. Because it's Lockheed-Martin, they aren't actually ever going to release anything with this technology themselves, and instead, will liscence it to other companys to produce. The idea we might see a heatsink based on this tech might just not even last that 13 seconds. :laugh: