• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The magic of Siri

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I've played around with it for a bit on a friend's iPhone and I have to confess there's definitely something to it. It's ability to understand you is uncanny. Given the incredible difficulty of designing such a system and the resources that have been poured into it over the last 40-odd years, who'd have thought it would be Apple that would make an advance like this in artificial intelligence?

Hence, this editorial of someone that uses it daily is interesting.

After a month of using Siri, the new voice-controlled "personal assistant" available on the iPhone 4S, I've decided it may be time to add voice control to the list of paradigm-shifting ways to interact with a computer -- right behind the mouse, keyboard and, more recently, touch gestures. While voice control remains far from perfect, the ease of use and instant results Siri delivers may be just enough to shift people's habits. It's certainly changed mine.

Controlling computers using voice commands has been a promised fantasy for years. Though various companies have tried, none has delivered something easy, convenient, or reliable enough to work well for most users. Apple's Mac OS has had voice commands built in since the mid-1990s, and I recall Windows booths at CompUSA staffed by Dragon Dictation engineers wearing awkward headsets, as OS/2 Warp gathered dust on the shelves.

In fact, most phones have been able to do voice-controlled contact and number dialing since before the arrival of smartphones. Despite widespread availability, voice control never gained traction because the effort required to get it to work right wasn't worth it for most people. Voice control -- from the old Speakable Items in Mac OS to the method of dialing contacts on older cell phones -- always required specific phrasing that sounded more like a command than natural speech.

"Dial 5-5-5-5-5-5-1-2-3-4" -- enunciating each word and number -- is a lot harder to do on a regular basis than to simply say "Call mom."

Now we just need the competition to catch up.

PC World

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
I have tried Siri, but it doesn't recognise "Asian English". Unless they can finally recognise my speech pattern, Siri is quite useless to me.

Processor i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus strix Z-490-e
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z 4000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus STRIX RTX 3080
Storage 1tb Samsung 970 EVO,1tb hdd,750gb hdd
Display(s) Asus 27" 144htz 1440
Case Lian Li lancool 2 mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic GX-850
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech Pro
I use it all the time

System Name Pegasus
Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X @ 4GHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme
Cooling Custom 480mm EK Loop
Memory 4 x 8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000MHz @ 3000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2 x 25" Dell Ultrasharp U2515H / 1 x 15" ASUS MB169+
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) 2 x Tannoy Reveal 502 / Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm / Behringer Xenyx X1204 USB / MXL 770
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova G3 1000W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS / Corsair K95 RGB / Anne Pro 2 / 2 x Elgato Stream Deck
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit
Well, there's Iris.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
I've played around with it for a bit on a friend's iPhone and I have to confess there's definitely something to it. It's ability to understand you is uncanny. Given the incredible difficulty of designing such a system and the resources that have been poured into it over the last 40-odd years, who'd have thought it would be Apple that would make an advance like this in artificial intelligence?

Hence, this editorial of someone that uses it daily is interesting.

Now we just need the competition to catch up.

PC World

Apple didn't man, another company did and Apple bought them, siri was for sale IN the app store before :laugh:

I've had a play with it as well and found it to be a combination of a chat bot and voice activations nothing amazing/ground breaking.

I have tried Siri, but it doesn't recognise "Asian English". Unless they can finally recognise my speech pattern, Siri is quite useless to me.

It cannot comprehend a Scottish accent either.

Mostly seems the same as shouting at a Kinect except with an iphone there isnt any real need to use voice commands because your not far away from the device; example: i could tell my xbox to shutdown but with an iphone in my hand id just be aswell pressing the button.

Id feel like a wally if i used Siri on a bus :laugh:

EDIT: Speed dial and leaving voice recordings might be handy but nothing "OH WOW I MUST HAVE THIS" because i can already do everything.

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
It cannot comprehend a Scottish accent either.

Yeah but not even humans can so its a moot point.

Siri seems cool, I've never witnessed it in person, but it looks like it can really bear the title of voice recognition software.
However it only works well in English, for example the German version has its fair share of troubles, related to grammar and syntax.

Nevertheless, its a cool concept that seems to work well, and they should continue perfecting it.

Last edited by a moderator:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Apple didn't man, another company did and Apple bought them, siri was for sale IN the app store before :laugh:

I've had a play with it as well and found it to be a combination of a chat bot and voice activations nothing amazing/ground breaking.

Ah, that explains it. I thought it was unlikely that they would develop something like this.

Well, it might be a trick, but it's a damned good one and good enough to be useful.

Yeah but not even humans can so its a moot point.

Siri seems cool, I've never witnessed it in person, but it looks like it can really bear the title of voice recognition software.
However it only works well in English, for example the German version has its fair share of troubles, related to grammar and syntax.

Nevertheless, its a cool concept that seems to work well, and they should continue perfecting it.

Pffft not all Scots talk like teuchters. Im sorry but my experiences with Siri have been rubbish, Apple fanboys tout it up and i cant think of many practical applications. Someone please prove to me its usefulness in the setting of a smartphone and prove its not a gimmick.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Pffft not all Scots talk like teuchters. Im sorry but my experiences with Siri have been rubbish, Apple fanboys tout it up and i cant think of many practical applications. Someone please prove to me its usefulness in the setting of a smartphone and prove its not a gimmick.

I know you didn't direct your comment to me, but for the record, I'm about as anti-Apple as you can get, yet I was impressed with the way Siri worked. It might be a trick, but it's a very good one!

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten

Handy in a car, but then again there's other apps you can get for voice controls in car.

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
I asked Siri "what is the best android phone?" She said, would you like me to search the web, I said "no, just tell me," and the bitch ignored me.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I asked Siri "what is the best android phone?" She said, would you like me to search the web, I said "no, just tell me," and the bitch ignored me.

I would have loved her to have said Samsung or something! :laugh:

Yeah that was a question in general to anyone.

Lots of cars have voice activated commands with bluetooth built in and there are hands free kits. I dont see how Siri is special in that regard. Voice commands have good uses but in regards to a smartphone i think the uses are limited, i dont think the software is all its touted to be. I dont know the general user experience so i can only go by my own feedback and it cant really understand my Glaswegian accent.

If it works great for you and you find lots of uses for it then its 'good value' for you but not me. Its not really artificial intelligence either its just things mapped to a certain function, it doesn't make its own choices.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Yeah that was a question in general to anyone.

Lots of cars have voice activated commands with bluetooth built in and there are hands free kits. I dont see how Siri is special in that regard. Voice commands have good uses but in regards to a smartphone i think the uses are limited, i dont think the software is all its touted to be. I dont know the general user experience so i can only go by my own feedback and it cant really understand my Glaswegian accent.

If it works great for you and you find lots of uses for it then its 'good value' for you but not me. Its not really artificial intelligence either its just things mapped to a certain function, it doesn't make its own choices.

That last bit there is the crux of it, isn't it? It sounds like a very clever trick, but one that works well enough to be useful.

It's a shame about the accent problem. I guess that's where a true AI would have faired considerably better. Mind you, I often stumble with strong accents, Scottish included, so that must make me... :eek: