• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The New "Can it run Crysis" Standard...

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
That's what I thought originally, but other users earlier in the thread pointed out that this remake is actually based on the console version of the game instead of the PC version. See the video a few pages back. This introduced limitations in GFX effects that look a lot worse. There's also the problem with lower polygon count which also seems to have been inherited from the console version.

The article above talks about ongoing progress, but I can't find the one that went into some detail about it.
It's reasonable to assume that this remastered Crysis is based on the console port. Those console port's game engine is after all using an updated CryEngine. The thing is the console spec is still not as powerful as a PC build which is essentially downgrade Crysis in terms of graphical fidelity compared to the PC port. Dunno if the remastered port has the CryEngine updated to the latest version but it should be logical to do so for modern systems. I haven't researched yet on the remastered to know this. I have only ever played the OG Crysis & Warhead, haven't played the 2nd or 3rd or Remastered or the android game. My PC build is not gonna be powerful enough to play Crysis remastered with only an Athlon X2 64, 4GB RAM & GTX 780Ti. Dunno when I'm gonna get the luxury of playing the 2nd & 3rd game.

BTW, is no one gonna report on that Avrakehdabra for being either a troll or just a toxic attack on this community? His comments seems rather vile & just looking to pick fights. I think putting OP on the ignore list is kinda hilarious though.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
^^ I've point banned them but require a higher power to remove post (not my forum).

D

Deleted member 24505

Wtf... you need to chill.

My word he was angry about something.

I guess the original is not based on a console port. I still think the original is a very nice game, just played through 2 as well which i also not bad at all. I don't think i will both with the remaster myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Are you talking about the remaster or the original? Because the original is actually a very good game, and that is coming from someone with quite specific tastes and who doesn't like shooters in general. But the thing is the game was pretty bland until I tried it on the hardest difficulty; it transformed and suddenly became this intense sneak-em-up in which you had to plan every encounter carefully, and you really had to be on your toes. No more running and gunning and winning; if you rushed in - as you would in any shooter - you'd immedietly die.

System Name Cheapskate Maximus
Processor Xeon W3680 @ 3.99Ghz [133x30] [1.375v]
Motherboard HP Z400 Rev 2
Cooling Alpenfohn Brocken v1
Memory 3 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX570 Nitro+
Storage 240GB WD SSD, 6 x 2TB HDD
Display(s) 27" iiyama XB2783HSU AMVA+
Case AeroCool
Power Supply HP 600w Bronze (Delta)
Keyboard Gots keys
Software W10 x64
This remaster is one step forward, several steps back. As mentioned it's based from the console port and doesn't have the Ascension mission included, and the physics have been simplified as well which is pretty lame. They should have started from the original code base tbh, then added the svogi ray tracing and higher res textures etc on top of it.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Well that's interesting. A reviewer was saying no matter the hardware, no one is able to get 60 fps+ with the original version as it only use two threads max by the CPU.

If I find the Youtube video again I'm going to post it here, because what they said seems to be wrong, unless I missed something & he's was talking around that time, when the game was released.

What?! I still remember Crysis one on FX processors using 8 threads.

'A reviewer'... myeah. I suppose thats why I go by my own observations the past few decades lol

Are you talking about the remaster or the original? Because the original is actually a very good game, and that is coming from someone with quite specific tastes and who doesn't like shooters in general. But the thing is the game was pretty bland until I tried it on the hardest difficulty; it transformed and suddenly became this intense sneak-em-up in which you had to plan every encounter carefully, and you really had to be on your toes. No more running and gunning and winning; if you rushed in - as you would in any shooter - you'd immedietly die.

Oh yes, OG Crysis needs to be played on high difficulty, and slowly. Absolutely awesome. Add the physics trickery and its HL2 calibre, IMO.

Crysis 2 and 3 lost that charm a little bit, as if they went more Hollywood explosions and less 'slow and determined'. More special effects less cool jungle, etc.

Last edited:
^^ I've point banned them but require a higher power to remove post (not my forum).
TY. That was getting really out of hand.

It's reasonable to assume that this remastered Crysis is based on the console port.
Why? Would it not make more sense to rework and remaster the PC version for the PC remaster and rework the console version for the consoles? The workload of porting the console version back to PC wouldn't be any greater then remastering two versions side-by-side. Makes no sense at all.

Those console port's game engine is after all using an updated CryEngine.
True, but that version of the engine was missing things that the PC version had.

The thing is the console spec is still not as powerful as a PC build which is essentially downgrade Crysis in terms of graphical fidelity compared to the PC port.
Exactly.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
I think Digital Foundry as of recently still uses Crysis 3 as a benchmarker & I do believe that it still is a viable modern benchmarker. The remaster could still use some time in the oven.

Why? Would it not make more sense to rework and remaster the PC version for the PC remaster and rework the console version for the consoles? The workload of porting the console version back to PC wouldn't be any greater then remastering two versions side-by-side. Makes no sense at all.
I would assume the workload of porting the game engine from the newer port to the latest build would be easier than the PC port of the game engine. Haven't watched Digital Foundry's recent video yet to confirm that. Or just maybe the source code of the PC port is partially lost, maybe?
True, but that version of the engine was missing things that the PC version had.
Obviously... Can't expect the PS3 & Xbox 2 to have as good graphics as the PC version so some graphical features had to be reduced. The only reason I can think of why the console had newer engine is for performance optimization & less graphical glitches & bugs & such.
TY. That was getting really out of hand.
Gotta admit, the banter was rather hilarious though. I enjoyed it. Such a shame....
I can confirm that his account has been deleted, possibly kicked outta the forum. Dunno if he's gonna be back with another account.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
When it comes to working with the engine, getting the original up to speed is quite likely more work than porting the console version back to PC.

Things that are/were missing are mostly not an engine problem but content. Along with engine optimization, content - levels, effects, everything that has been brought to our attention - was also optimized for XBox360/PS3 at that point. Unfortunately, they didn't care to address that.

The only reason I can think of why the console had newer engine is for performance optimization & less graphical glitches & bugs & such.
Pretty much. Console Crysis and now the remaster is based on post-Crysis2 CryEngine. At the time the changes were pretty widely discussed. While engine work was generally good - optimizing, adding some new effects and other various bits and pieces - Crysis 2 (and Crysis 3 after that) got a lot of flak about how the games themselves and content was built and consolitus isn't a bad description. Smaller levels, more linear, less physics used and so on.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Crysis 2 and 3 lost that charm a little bit, as if they went more Hollywood explosions and less 'slow and determined'. More special effects less cool jungle, etc.
I guess I really need to play the sequel... I more of that "Hollywood Explosions" fast-paced, adrenaline junkie kinda guy with lottsa SFX.

When it comes to working with the engine, getting the original up to speed is quite likely more work than porting the console version back to PC.
While that's possible, it just doesn't seem logical given that they had to take a port that was itself recompiled from X86 to PPC and have to recompile back to X86 with all of the fine-tuning of game assets that goes with such a task.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I guess I really need to play the sequel... I more of that "Hollywood Explosions" fast-paced, adrenaline junkie kinda guy with lottsa SFX.
You should, just for the whole story arc. I actually like 3, but 2 not so much. It has its moments tho. 3 gives you a ruined and overgrown NYC jungle, so it feels like Crysis a bit. Still more action than there needs to be though for suspense.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Play through the whole trilogy. No remasters, just the originals at max quality. Shouldn't take you more than 40 hours.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
You should, just for the whole story arc. I actually like 3, but 2 not so much. It has its moments tho. 3 gives you a ruined and overgrown NYC jungle, so it feels like Crysis a bit. Still more action than there needs to be though for suspense.
Play through the whole trilogy. No remasters, just the originals at max quality. Shouldn't take you more than 40 hours.
I'll prolly be able to get around to it next month since I'd need to save up first & not run my spending budget to the ground & not being able to pay my employee's monthly wages. Due to this epidemic/quarantine, my shop's getting less customers & I'm getting strapped for cash. We can still stay afloat as long as I don't spend so much on software & entertainment.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I'll prolly be able to get around to it next month since I'd need to save up first & not run my spending budget to the ground & not being able to pay my employee's monthly wages. Due to this epidemic/quarantine, my shop's getting less customers & I'm getting strapped for cash. We can still stay afloat as long as I don't spend so much on software & entertainment.

Best of luck to you, I hope you can keep it going.