• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The new Microsoft Edge Browser is out of Preview and now Available for Download

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
A little over a year ago, we announced our intention to rebuild Microsoft Edge on the Chromium open source project with the goals of delivering better compatibility for everyone, less fragmentation for web developers, and a partnership with the Chromium community to improve the Chromium engine itself. At Ignite, we unveiled our new vision for the web and search, our colorful new icon, and how Microsoft Edge + Bing are the browser and search engine for business — and we are thrilled by the growing excitement we've heard from all of you who've tried it out and sent feedback!

From this incredible momentum, today I'm pleased to announce the new Microsoft Edge is now available to download on all supported versions of Windows and macOS in more than 90 languages. Microsoft Edge is also available on iOS and Android, providing a true cross-platform experience. The new Microsoft Edge provides world class performance with more privacy, more productivity and more value while you browse. Our new browser also comes with our Privacy Promise and we can't wait for you to try new features like tracking prevention, which is on by default, and provides three levels of control while you browse.

Another innovative new feature in Microsoft Edge allows you to customize your online experience. Choose a new tab page layout or design, and select the types of news you want.

Microsoft Edge user interface
The last several months have been nothing short of inspiring for all of us working to deliver great new capabilities for Microsoft Edge including AAD support, Internet Explorer mode, 4K streaming, Dolby audio, inking in PDF, Microsoft Search in Bing integration, support for Chrome-based extensions, and more.

If you're a business or education IT administrator looking to deploy widely in your organization or school, we have you covered as well - you can download offline packages and policies and learn more on the new commercial site.

Internet Explorer legacy mode animation
People have downloaded the preview channels of the new Microsoft Edge millions of times to their devices, and we've seen many organizations begin to pilot these channels for their users. Enterprises and schools who have mission critical legacy applications and websites - but also want modern web and security - have turned to our new Internet Explorer mode as a "best of both worlds" solution. And for Microsoft 365 customers, using Microsoft Search to find files, people, office floor plans and more on your organization's intranet is as easy as typing in the Microsoft Edge address bar. Our early customers are calling it "a win."

Moving to the new Microsoft Edge - what to expect
Now that we've reached this milestone, you might be wondering what to expect on your PC. To get the new Microsoft Edge you have two choices: you can either manually download it today, or if you are a general consumer user, you can wait for it to be automatically released to your device via Windows Update. When you do make the switch, your favorites, passwords, form fill information and basic settings will carry over to the new Microsoft Edge without you having to do anything. You can read more about our rollout plans here.

If you're an IT administrator, you will need to download an offline deployment package to pilot within your corporate environment—the new Microsoft Edge will not automatically deploy for commercial customers. Additionally, none of the Microsoft Edge preview channels will update to the new Microsoft Edge, as they can be used side-by-side for testing and validation.

We also know that deploying a new browser isn't just "flipping a switch," so we want to make the process as easy as possible. In addition to simplifying deployment with tools like Intune and Configuration Manager, we are committed to helping your organization transition to the new Microsoft Edge. At Ignite we announced FastTrack and App Assure support for Microsoft Edge. FastTrack will help you deploy Microsoft Edge to your organization at no extra charge if you are a customer with an eligible subscription to Microsoft 365, Azure, or Dynamics 365. And if your sites are compatible on Internet Explorer 8 and above, Google Chrome, or legacy Microsoft Edge, then they'll work on the new Microsoft Edge. If not, contact App Assure and we'll help you fix it.

What's next
Of course, the innovation, testing, and new features don't stop coming today, and this initial release is only just the beginning. If you want a sneak peek of what's coming, we encourage you to keep using our preview channels - Beta, Dev and Canary - which will remain available for download on the Microsoft Edge Insider site. Not only will you get an insider's look at our features pipeline for Microsoft Edge, but you'll continue to have the opportunity to help improve Microsoft Edge with your valuable feedback. Your input helps make both the new Microsoft Edge, and the web, better for everyone.

Thank you!
A huge thank you to our community of Microsoft Edge Insiders as well as the engineers within the Chromium community who have worked with us to develop the new Microsoft Edge. We remain committed to actively participating in and contributing to the Chromium open source project. To date we've made more than 1900 contributions across areas like accessibility, modern input including touch, speech, digital inking, and many more.

Keep telling us what's working well, what needs to change and what you'd like to see in the new Microsoft Edge.

Our heartfelt thanks - we couldn't have made it here without you!

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
I don't feel like reinstalling.

Can i convert my Beta to Final?

I don't feel like reinstalling.

Can i convert my Beta to Final?
IIRC you can just install Final, then copy the contents of the "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Beta" folder into the Final one, job done.

This is how it worked when moving between Canary/Dev/Beta so should be no different.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
So excited! Already deleted Google Chrome and ready to fully migrate to Microsoft Ecosystem.
Chromium.
I don't think you're deleting Google at all.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
Give your data to Google or Microsoft, pick your poison.

D

Deleted member 193706

Firefox is my daily driver, I use MS Edge for the odd website where there's a compatibility issue with Firefox and have chrome installed though never use it unless I really have to for some reason. I would like to keep the non chromium version of Edge and hope they don't force it through an update..... Though that seems like wishful thinking knowing Microsoft. :slap::laugh:

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
IIRC you can just install Final, then copy the contents of the "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Beta" folder into the Final one, job done.

This is how it worked when moving between Canary/Dev/Beta so should be no different.

Just tried that, but it somehow messes up the window.

Syncing Data is bugged as well, it syncs some really old bookmarks and none of my passwords.

EDIT: Okey, overwriting old data seems to work.

I'll just keep Beta installed incase something isn't working right ^^

Last edited:
System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0 + various other SATA drives
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
This appears to have Firefox-like cookie management (i.e. you can have it delete all cookies when closing with exceptions, etc.). Did the old Edge add this or is it new?

I actually don't even use that feature anymore (I keep no cookies) but it's nice to have if you don't want to keep cookies except for sites you want to be logged into when you return.

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
How do enable Dark Mode?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Meh, if I didn't Edge with its own engine, why would I use it now when it's yet another skin on top of WebKit/Blink?

System Name 0BL1V10N
Processor Intel Core i7 11700K @ 5.1GHz all-core turbo
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Taichi
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360 (with stock CM fans), 12x Pccooler Moonlight Series ARGB 120mm fans
Memory (4x16GB) 64GB Mushkin Redline Lumina 3600MHz 16-19-19-39 XMP
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID 24G (not using stock fans) (+150MHz core, +1000MHz memory)
Storage Western Digital Black SN850X 2TB Gen4 NVMe
Display(s) 1x Alienware AW3821DW (3840x1600@144Hz), 2x Dell SE2717H (1080p@75Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719 Anthracite Grey
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Drop THX AAA 789 + Custom Planar Magnetic Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1200W (12VHPWR)
Mouse Logitech G502 X Plus
Keyboard Too many custom mechanical builds to list...
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
I really don't understand why anyone would care or want this. It's just a reskinned Chrome to let Microsoft steal your data. The Microsoft ecosystem is worse than Google or Apple. Microsoft couldn't even make a competent browser on their own, they just bailed and went with Google code. :laugh:

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I really don't understand why anyone would care or want this. It's just a reskinned Chrome to let Microsoft steal your data. The Microsoft ecosystem is worse than Google or Apple. Microsoft couldn't even make a competent browser on their own, they just bailed and went with Google code. :laugh:
I love it when people complain companies are robbing them and stuff. If you're so convinced the company is crooked, why are you doing business with them in the first place?

System Name 0BL1V10N
Processor Intel Core i7 11700K @ 5.1GHz all-core turbo
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Taichi
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360 (with stock CM fans), 12x Pccooler Moonlight Series ARGB 120mm fans
Memory (4x16GB) 64GB Mushkin Redline Lumina 3600MHz 16-19-19-39 XMP
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID 24G (not using stock fans) (+150MHz core, +1000MHz memory)
Storage Western Digital Black SN850X 2TB Gen4 NVMe
Display(s) 1x Alienware AW3821DW (3840x1600@144Hz), 2x Dell SE2717H (1080p@75Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719 Anthracite Grey
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Drop THX AAA 789 + Custom Planar Magnetic Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1200W (12VHPWR)
Mouse Logitech G502 X Plus
Keyboard Too many custom mechanical builds to list...
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
I love it when people complain companies are robbing them and stuff. If you're so convinced the company is crooked, why are you doing business with them in the first place?

All companies are crooked. And I'm not really "doing business" with them. Sure I use Windows 10 (the majority of users do), but I've disabled/blocked all of the phone-home garbage built into the OS.

Pick the lesser evil that's best for you. I don't use, nor will I ever use a Microsoft provided browser. I trust Microsoft with my data less than Google or Apple, though they are arguably about as crooked in the grand scheme of things.

D

Deleted member 193706

when there is no competition (and that includes linux as as good as it is these days is still not a viable alternative to Apple or MS for 98% of people and the number of users despite all its improvements over 20+ years just reinforces this) then there is little choice, it is the same with mobiles, there is google or apple, nothing else so we feel we have a choice but the only choice is which is the lesser evil?

All companies are crooked. And I'm not really "doing business" with them. Sure I use Windows 10 (the majority of users do), but I've disabled/blocked all of the phone-home garbage built into the OS.

Pick the lesser evil that's best for you. I don't use, nor will I ever use a Microsoft provided browser. I trust Microsoft with my data less than Google or Apple, though they are arguably about as crooked in the grand scheme of things.
of course you do business with them you use their os and ecosystem for 99% of your online activity in exchange for them harvesting all your data

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
when there is no competition (and that includes linux as as good as it is these days is still not a viable alternative to Apple or MS for 98% of people and the number of users despite all its improvements over 20+ years just reinforces this) then there is little choice, it is the same with mobiles, there is google or apple, nothing else so we feel we have a choice but the only choice is which is the lesser evil?

of course you do business with them you use their os and ecosystem for 99% of your online activity in exchange for them harvesting all your data
You can use a phone just for phone calls, you know? Nobody's forcing you to record your whole vacation with it or post only every meal you have ;)

D

Deleted member 193706

You can use a phone just for phone calls, you know? Nobody's forcing you to record your whole vacation with it or post only every meal you have ;)
Who said anyone is forcing you? yes you can buy a dumb phone but again the majority rules and most people do everything on their phone/tablet as they do their PC banking social media, media consumption, purchasing etc. It doesnt change the fact that now people are the product and they pay with their privacy and data, i don't use social media btw but I'm damn sure everything else I do on my phone, desktop laptop streaming box et al is all being recorded and stored (I don't care, it's mostly pron and the media, forums, shopping, random searches about the meaning of life etc) so it's not just about instagram and facebook, technology as good as it is these days, we have paid a heavy price for and it's a thin line between the corporations who harvest all this data and the governments who would love to own and control all this data. Pretty soon there won't be a difference... get your tin foil hats at the ready.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Who said anyone is forcing you? yes you can buy a dumb phone but again the majority rules and most people do everything on their phone/tablet as they do their PC banking social media, media consumption, purchasing etc.
That was my whole point: why do all that on a phone and then complain the phone maker is stealing your stuff?
But enough of that now, we're off-topic.

D

Deleted member 193706

That was my whole point: why do all that on a phone and then complain the phone maker is stealing your stuff?
But enough of that now, we're off-topic.
Because why does the phone maker need to steal my stuff so I can shop and watch youtube and pron or W/E? lol what a stupid argument... it doesnt matter whether it's a phone, laptop, set top box etc we have pretty much traded all of our privacy and intimate details in the name of technology advancement, it's not about the phones, it's computers, phones hard wired phones, tablets, alexa, hey google, fridges, TV's etc etc anything that can be recorded is being.. period. 1984 is here.

How do enable Dark Mode?
Settings > Appearance > set theme to "Dark" (there should also be an auto that sets it to whatever Windows is, but that's the manual trigger).

I really don't understand why anyone would care or want this. It's just a reskinned Chrome to let Microsoft steal your data.
Actually it's a reskinned Chromium, just like Google Chrome is. I've been using it as main browser since last August (Google shot themselves in the foot when they killed off Chrome Remote Desktop as millions of us were no longer tied to them) and IMO it's a better browser than Chrome. Looks better, runs all the same extensions, plus extra extensions and it's a bit snappier plus works fine with all the sites that previously only ran properly under IE so it's great for business use too.

Last edited:
System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
I don't understand the point. It is lacking many features, such as synced tabs, app store with desired apps, and themes. The only advantage to using this is that it has slightly more privacy features than Chrome, but not by far.

In my opinion, users should either use Firefox or Chrome at this point. Edge may be viable once it matures, but right now it is still essentially in beta.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Firefox is my daily driver, I use MS Edge for the odd website where there's a compatibility issue with Firefox and have chrome installed though never use it unless I really have to for some reason. I would like to keep the non chromium version of Edge and hope they don't force it through an update..... Though that seems like wishful thinking knowing Microsoft. :slap::laugh:

Ie plug in for firefox...

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair