• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The newest BIOS for the Gigabyte 9550 - 2005/4/11

testemo

Hello everybody,
I've just downloaded the newest official bios for my Gigabyte 9550 (2005/4/11).
I've tried to use the flash tool of Gigabyte (GVF14.exe) and it worked well to make a BIOS backup (with the -s option) but after that I've tried to make the update of the r955128d.f21 file (with the -p option) but the tool said I already have the newest version, wich is not true.
My BIOS version is 008.017D.016.000 while the newset one is 008.017D.033.000 (2005/4/11).
Can you help me?
There is some way to see the changes made in the r955128d.f21 file? I have tried to open it with RABIT but it said NO BIOS SIGNATURE...
Thank you for your help!

.f21 is not a standard bios file i've ever heard of. It's probably a proprietary gigabyte thing.
You could look for the same bios version in .bin and force flash it with flashrom.
Did you try GVF14 /? to get a list of all the commands? The EEPROM might be locked.
you might want to try GVF14 -p -f r955128d.f21 to force a flash if supported by the flasher. Are you running this off a boot disk or within windows?

testemo

Thanks for the reply Hellraiser1981!!! (offtopic, fantastic this film!)

Yes u're right it's a gigabyte official bios, probably proprietary... unfortunately I can't find a .bin version on their site so I donno what o do... there is another way?

I have already look to the gvf14 commands and there is nothing coud help. I have also tried a previous version, the gvf11.exe, and it say the same thing: i already have the newest bios version...but isnt true as you can see on my first post.

I have also try the option -p -f in order to force it but it still say the same thing...
And, yes, of course I did it with a DOS Caldera boot disk which does not have any drivers that could interfere with the flashing process.
:-(

No one having a Gigabyte 9550 has tried this new official bios update? have you succed? Someone know how to look into the .f21 in order to convert in a standard .bin version?
Thanks again for your help!

Did you try it exactly like this:
"gvf14 -p A:\r955128d.f21"

I never owned a gigabyte card, so I can only speculate.

If that doesn't work, I guess contact gigabyte and wait a week. lol

testemo

Thanks... I did all.. I already tru exactely like you wrote (and in many other way) and I have already contact gigabyte... a week you say? ...i hope

testemo

Here the nswer of Gigabye:

"As to the problem you mentioned, after checking our internal document, the F21 BIOS is for different revision of this VGA card, GV-R955128D. If your VGA card came with ATi Source BIOS Version: 008.017D.016.000, the current BIOS of your VGA card is already the latest one. You should not need to update the BIOS. We are sorry for the confusion caused."

So I have a different revision of the card...someones know more? what are the diffrences between the two revisions?

testemo said:
Here the nswer of Gigabye:

"As to the problem you mentioned, after checking our internal document, the F21 BIOS is for different revision of this VGA card, GV-R955128D. If your VGA card came with ATi Source BIOS Version: 008.017D.016.000, the current BIOS of your VGA card is already the latest one. You should not need to update the BIOS. We are sorry for the confusion caused."

So I have a different revision of the card...someones know more? what are the diffrences between the two revisions?
If you have a lower revision, you're SOL until they come up with an update for you're revision. The differences between one revision and another can be anywhere from 1 tracing on the PCB, or lead-free solder, to entirely different memory modules. If you don't have any problems, (corruption, etc) the current bios should be fine. A new video bios is VERY unlikely to change the framerate of the card, usually only applies to bug fixes. (I've personally only seen a Vbios "update" lower the framerate by 1 or 2 fps)
If you really want to flash a new bios, get flashrom and force-flash a few bioses that match the GPU and memory on your card.

For example:
(bug fix, I think)
I found that the "Icetomb" level on UT2004 slowed down badly on my 9800 pro (sapphire) even to the point of mouse lag. After flashing many bioses, I found a Powercolor bios that worked mint. It even improved my mem overclock. And now, all my games (even doom3) run better than an XT.
(my card is heavily voltmodded, overclocked, cooled, and bios tweaked (timings, etc))
Remember, the video bios is the other half of your video driver.

Youre best bet is to flash you're card to a 9600 (voids the warranty). Keep a pci vid card on hand to flash the origional bios back if it gets F^#%ed up though. Keep more than one backup of you're Vbios too. One on HDD, one on floppy.

Last edited:

testemo

Thanks! foir now I think I will not flash with another bios...now I dont have a lot problems and I dont want void the warranty. I use the ATI tool at windows startup to OC ;-)
What means "yo're SOL"? i'm just curious...

testemo said:
Thanks! foir now I think I will not flash with another bios...now I dont have a lot problems and I dont want void the warranty. I use the ATI tool at windows startup to OC ;-)
What means "yo're SOL"? i'm just curious...
SOL means Sh** outta luck
Common term in my locale