• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Magic the Gathering card game Rules, Questions, and General Discussion Thread

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The higher you go, the more you'll need a winning board state around turn 4-5, or ways to prolong the game until you can reach it. Most decks can win around that time already or inspire conceding by then. Card advantage, like it has always been... is everything.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The higher you go, the more you'll need a winning board state around turn 4-5, or ways to prolong the game until you can reach it. Most decks can win around that time already or inspire conceding by then. Card advantage, like it has always been... is everything.

I just hate the red rush decks. Annoys living crap out of me every expansion.

well I meant only Odyssey block allowed to face other Odyssey block decks. the rules can't be broken regardless in that scenario? unless I am mistaken
Combat Damage on the Stack.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think it's kind of dumb Godzilla doesn't have Reach. Also, Godzilla should also be like a 10/10, just saying...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I just realized something... when I first started playing Magic the Gathering 21 years ago, TCG was plastered everywhere... that was part of the fun trading with friends, etc.

My friend just joined MTG Arena, and I just realized I can't trade him any of my cards to help him get started... the heart and soul of magic dies a little bit because of that, still love the game, but the corporate greed is getting to be a bit much. 4 expansions a year, tons of spin offs a year, all the "gambling" like stuff with gems and gold and cosmetic stuff... but they can't have a trading feature so we can help our friends who want to play with us and create memories together? Sad.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I just realized something... when I first started playing Magic the Gathering 21 years ago, TCG was plastered everywhere... that was part of the fun trading with friends, etc.

My friend just joined MTG Arena, and I just realized I can't trade him any of my cards to help him get started... the heart and soul of magic dies a little bit because of that, still love the game, but the corporate greed is getting to be a bit much. 4 expansions a year, tons of spin offs a year, all the "gambling" like stuff with gems and gold and cosmetic stuff... but they can't have a trading feature so we can help our friends who want to play with us and create memories together? Sad.
Different game for that. Trading is vibrant here:

MTGA is the entry level Magic world where you can play Standard on the cheap - or fall into the money pit if you're oblivious :) Its the MTX-based Magic, Free to Play and on all platforms... MTGO is basically the online version of paper.

As for the corpo greed... yepppp. The power creep has been real lately, but at the same time, it kinda is what we're asking for. Weak sets don't get played a lot. Also... the current Standard is actually a pretty good environment, and has been the last year. Tons of different archetypes and decks that work. Decent metagame. Modern also got a major boost from MH2, even if it is a very strong set, there are also very strong answers, that's kinda where it needs to be. Some cards though of the last year give you that 'WTF how did you print this shit' moment and it tends to last and result in a ban sooner rather than later. There's been so many bans, its symptomatic for the attempts to power creep on the edge of what's doable, and often a little overboard.

But the real corpo greed is still coming, you haven't seen anything...:
Warhammer 40K MTG? Yep...
The Walking Dead was only a sampler...
Its going full on retard. Community noises say MTG will die in 2022 but I don't believe it will. And a funky commander deck with WH40K theme... I don't know, but I'd build one :D At the same time you just know the next step is Waifu Magic and all the other shit that's popular on the web. The art is already leaning into it too.

Magic has been going through these phases since the first sets but I would agree this is next level nonsense. In case you have doubts, just look here :D
I'm not sure how they will position the LOTR thing, but if that enters the standard rotation, holy shit. D&D was already out of place enough, even if its somehow related.

1631786734929.png

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Different game for that. Trading is vibrant here:

MTGA is the entry level Magic world where you can play Standard on the cheap - or fall into the money pit if you're oblivious :) Its the MTX-based Magic, Free to Play and on all platforms... MTGO is basically the online version of paper.

As for the corpo greed... yepppp. The power creep has been real lately, but at the same time, it kinda is what we're asking for. Weak sets don't get played a lot. Also... the current Standard is actually a pretty good environment, and has been the last year. Tons of different archetypes and decks that work. Decent metagame. Modern also got a major boost from MH2, even if it is a very strong set, there are also very strong answers, that's kinda where it needs to be. Some cards though of the last year give you that 'WTF how did you print this shit' moment and it tends to last and result in a ban sooner rather than later. There's been so many bans, its symptomatic for the attempts to power creep on the edge of what's doable, and often a little overboard.

But the real corpo greed is still coming, you haven't seen anything...:
Warhammer 40K MTG? Yep...
The Walking Dead was only a sampler...
Its going full on retard. Community noises say MTG will die in 2022 but I don't believe it will. And a funky commander deck with WH40K theme... I don't know, but I'd build one :D At the same time you just know the next step is Waifu Magic and all the other shit that's popular on the web. The art is already leaning into it too.

Magic has been going through these phases since the first sets but I would agree this is next level nonsense. In case you have doubts, just look here :D
I'm not sure how they will position the LOTR thing, but if that enters the standard rotation, holy shit. D&D was already out of place enough, even if its somehow related.

View attachment 217123

I'm actually ok with the themed Commander decks, its not like its a whole set or anything. I actually plan to buy the Warhammer 40k Commander decks and the LOTR ones... cause they are meant to battle each other... so will be fairly balanced... so even 5-10 years from now if a buddy comes over we can play a commander round without much effort, plus I love 40k lore as do some of my other friends. the other stuff needs to go though yes.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I'm actually ok with the themed Commander decks, its not like its a whole set or anything. I actually plan to buy the Warhammer 40k Commander decks and the LOTR ones... cause they are meant to battle each other... so will be fairly balanced... so even 5-10 years from now if a buddy comes over we can play a commander round without much effort, plus I love 40k lore as do some of my other friends. the other stuff needs to go though yes.
Yeah if they crossover from a real 'universe' that is properly fleshed out like Warhammer I have a lot less trouble with it, especially for Commander which is totally yolo as it is, you can take it any where you want in that format. Actually a little curious how they're going to implement all those lasers :D

But that Walking Dead release was cringe all the way, from the art, to the cards themselves, to the whole positioning. Disgusting. I reckon Stranger Things is going a similar way. OTOH, avoiding Secret Drop was never difficult :p

f2p kinda nonbos with full tradeability.
However, the solution for it exists for like, 2 decades or something now - it's called BoP & BoE.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
However, the solution for it exists for like, 2 decades or something now - it's called BoP & BoE.

i don't know what that means. BoP? Birds of Paradise?

Binds on Pickup, a mechanic from World of Warcraft (since borrowed from by other games, but yea), whereby an acquired item is immediately bound to the acquiring character/account.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Binds on Pickup, a mechanic from World of Warcraft (since borrowed from by other games, but yea), whereby an acquired item is immediately bound to the acquiring character/account.

I understand what you mean now, yeah. It's no big deal, just to me, as a kid, it was a part of the game that should never have been separated from it, regardless of the platform. /shrug

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Too confusing. What errata will you make for Equipments? And what about 'control permanent?' :p

Nono, it's for a meta-issue like MTGA where rn everything is bound vs MODO where nothing is.
Neither is the solution. A combination, making use of cards that are bound (either when acquired or when first used, depending on their provenance) would be a much better idea. Free cards being untradeable will mean that they will not (overtly) devaluate the tradeable ones, and with a BoP/BoE system both can coexist.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Nono, it's for a meta-issue like MTGA where rn everything is bound vs MODO where nothing is.
Neither is the solution. A combination, making use of cards that are bound (either when acquired or when first used, depending on their provenance) would be a much better idea. Free cards being untradeable will mean that they will not (overtly) devaluate the tradeable ones, and with a BoP/BoE system both can coexist.

I agree with this and see where you are coming from. Also, I think even BoP cards that are no longer legal in Standard format should be allowed to trade... cause frankly my friend just needs some cards to help him get going and enjoy the game some. (the pre-made decks they give out our pure ****)

https://mtgarena.codes/ < redeem everything, should give you enough wildcards to build a decent monored or something

I would disagree with BoPs eventually becoming unbound, it'll put up too much residuals that'll devalue everything fast, but yeah.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
https://mtgarena.codes/ < redeem everything, should give you enough wildcards to build a decent monored or something

I would disagree with BoPs eventually becoming unbound, it'll put up too much residuals that'll devalue everything fast, but yeah.

i didn't know those codes were there, this will help him a lot thanks lol

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Yes, you have a good point, I was joking ;)

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Innistrad is looking like a pretty sweet set release. Its about damn time after the totally uninspiring D&D and Strixhaven sillyness.

Prerelease was fun as hell in any case, and the mechanics actually do work... even if you keep mistaking Day for Night mechanics and vice versa. But they do make transform very usable, and kind of put the game state out of your control, but not too much to destroy your plans... most of the time.

Similarly the decayed Zombies are the. Perfect. Zombies. Finally we have actually disintegrating undead as you use them, as you'd expect from heaps of flesh.

Disturb mechanic is also great... Flashback for creatures. Yeppp. And the return of Flashback, is very welcome too. Commander has been boosted so much. Orzhov similarly, reanimator plays are much better now.. white is shaping up to become a proper color... neat.

Can't wait for the next part of this set release (Vampires)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Innistrad is looking like a pretty sweet set release. Its about damn time after the totally uninspiring D&D and Strixhaven sillyness.

Prerelease was fun as hell in any case, and the mechanics actually do work... even if you keep mistaking Day for Night mechanics and vice versa. But they do make transform very usable, and kind of put the game state out of your control, but not too much to destroy your plans... most of the time.

Similarly the decayed Zombies are the. Perfect. Zombies. Finally we have actually disintegrating undead as you use them, as you'd expect from heaps of flesh.

Disturb mechanic is also great... Flashback for creatures. Yeppp. And the return of Flashback, is very welcome too. Commander has been boosted so much. Orzhov similarly, reanimator plays are much better now.. white is shaping up to become a proper color... neat.

Can't wait for the next part of this set release (Vampires)

yeah I had 40k gold saved up... I did two Innistrad drafts over the weekend, first draft i won 4-0 then lost 3 in a row over stupid mistakes I made. lol

second draft was clunker, 2-3, but i had enough gems at this point to do a sealed Innistrad event... so I did that, won 4 and lost 3. was pretty fun overall.

i am saving my other 10k gold and going to save up now for next release, i never spend any real money haha. i'm mainly looking forward to January with the 'cyberpunk themed release' I might actually buy the mastery pass on that one.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
yeah I had 40k gold saved up... I did two Innistrad drafts over the weekend, first draft i won 4-0 then lost 3 in a row over stupid mistakes I made. lol

second draft was clunker, 2-3, but i had enough gems at this point to do a sealed Innistrad event... so I did that, won 4 and lost 3. was pretty fun overall.

i am saving my other 10k gold and going to save up now for next release, i never spend any real money haha. i'm mainly looking forward to January with the 'cyberpunk themed release' I might actually buy the mastery pass on that one.

Are there no real prerelease events near you? Shop near me has been doing them for some time now, live and in person is just so much fun. Best events IMHO because everyone's new to the cards.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Are there no real prerelease events near you? Shop near me has been doing them for some time now, live and in person is just so much fun. Best events IMHO because everyone's new to the cards.

there are, but werewolves and vampire and zombie stuff have never really interested me. Magic is a very expensive hobby, so i don't participate all the time. I will be doing all 4 pre-release events next year in person though, its the first year all 4 expansions really have me excited. January is my number 1 excited for release. that cyberpunk theme is going to be amazing... MTG always has the best art... can't wait to see how the artists interpret that genre,

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Does anyone know what caused the feud between Urza and Mishra? I'm really trying to get into the lore a little bit better this year. Any tips on where to start understanding the MtG lore better?

Sidenote: Neon Dynasty is a bit overrated of an expansion imo, got kind of bored of it already and I was expecting to really reinvigorate my love for magic... :(

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Neon Dynasty is a nice set for commander :D Totally new playlines. And it has a few sweet staples too.

I mean:
1644837480384.png

This is crazy good.

- Vehicles are feasible now.
- Goad is getting to something substantial.
^precon material but also in the standard set.
- Artifacts have gotten So. Much. Support. Its absolutely crazy the amount of directions you can take them in. Neon Dynasty picks up where MH2 ended really in that sense. There are many more colored artifacts too. Equipments are now also creatures sometimes. Etc.
- Ninja's/ninjutsu, obviously... but probably not on their own.

- You can build a Shrines deck now with numerous commanders, there are 16 Shrines plus this one;
That was an instabuy for me. :D

1644836928746.png

But yeah... MTGA is still very much uninstalled and I won't go back in there as long as Alchemy lives. I'm happy with paper tbh, the metagame(s) on formats are very healthy right now, despite power creep. New levels of balance, its pretty good. What's less good is the flavor... its all over the place. I see you want to get into 'The Brothers' War' :) That's the kind of flavor I favor too :D

Last edited: