• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Magic the Gathering card game Rules, Questions, and General Discussion Thread

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Alright, I have had several times now where I get frustrated at not understanding a mechanic or card and I can't find a proper forum worth bothering with... so here goes nothing.

Starting with my first question, does this card allow you to search your ENTIRE library outside the game or only the Sideboard of 15 cards?

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Probably library. When in doubt flip the table.

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
The "outside the game" refers to the cards that you have in your possession besides your deck - which in competitive scenarios is only your sideboard.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The "outside the game" refers to the cards that you have in your possession besides your deck - which in competitive scenarios is only your sideboard.

So in Standard ranked it would be sideboard only, but any other mode basically your library that you own...

MTG is complicated as crap sometimes...

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
So in Standard ranked it would be sideboard only, but any other mode basically your library that you own...

MTG is complicated as crap sometimes...

This is nothing bruh

I've got 6 EDH (commander) decks on paper here that will make you cry in agony :)

But yeah this game is awesome and seriously complicated in equal measure

In general, 'own outside the game' is referring to a sideboard selection. Even if its non-competitive, you'd find some sort of limitation, because otherwise you'd have access to virtually every card. On paper, playgroups have rules for this. In some formats (like Commander) there is no sideboard at all and cards like that would be useless.

With the Strixhaven set release, the sideboard has become even more limited in size if you also use Lessons, as these also end up in your sideboard which is always capped at 15 cards. This is relevant for the current rotation in Standard (and lessons are pretty neat ways to get card advantage).

Additionally, 'cards you own' are not referred to as your 'Library'. The library is your actual deck of cards you're using - specifically, the stack you've not drawn yet.

If you want some catch-all hints and tips to get you started with understanding the game on a deeper level, give a shout, happy to provide ;)

One big basic tip on card rules:
Has every card and with rulings if something was not clear in actual play.

Has all the rules

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This is nothing bruh

I've got 6 EDH (commander) decks on paper here that will make you cry in agony :)

But yeah this game is awesome and seriously complicated in equal measure

In general, 'own outside the game' is referring to a sideboard selection. Even if its non-competitive, you'd find some sort of limitation, because otherwise you'd have access to virtually every card. On paper, playgroups have rules for this. In some formats (like Commander) there is no sideboard at all and cards like that would be useless.

With the Strixhaven set release, the sideboard has become even more limited in size if you also use Lessons, as these also end up in your sideboard which is always capped at 15 cards. This is relevant for the current rotation in Standard (and lessons are pretty neat ways to get card advantage).

Additionally, 'cards you own' are not referred to as your 'Library'. The library is your actual deck of cards you're using - specifically, the stack you've not drawn yet.

If you want some catch-all hints and tips to get you started with understanding the game on a deeper level, give a shout, happy to provide ;)

One big basic tip on card rules:
Has every card and with rulings if something was not clear in actual play.

Has all the rules

I just played MTG Arena all weekend... I did 3 Sealed deck of the new expansion DnD and I did 2 premier drafts... I had enough gold and gems saved up, and on two of my Sealed runs I won big, second place well 6 wins 3 loss, never made it to big number 7. but I got a LOT of gems back which allowed me to keep playing...

Was an insane amount of fun this weekend... haven't had that much fun since Kaladesh Pre-Release.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Cool! So you play paper too then? I can't recall Kaladesh on Arena.

Pre-release events are cool anyway. Really nice way of drafting into entirely new stuff. Quick, accessible, not like your average box draft where deck building is half the day :D (for some :p)

As for this new set release... I'm a bit lukewarm on it having seen all the spoilers, much like Strixhaven. Its cool they merge the franchises and all, but this whole rotation just isn't my favorite setting. Its an utter mess... what have we got now? Fairy tales (Eldraine), Mutating big fatties (Ikoria), Vikings (Kaldheim) because everyone does a Nord/Viking/tough men in the snow theme this year and the last, I suppose to counteract the LGBT vibe or something (notice how many blokes try looking like em too lately? Anyway... :D), Harry Potter (Strixhaven) and now DnD. I suppose its all high fantasy... but wtf!? Can we get more random?

Luckily we're going back to real Magic land soon with Innistrad, or at least, I hope so :D I like it a bit less happy color and prancing ponies.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cool! So you play paper too then? I can't recall Kaladesh on Arena.

Pre-release events are cool anyway. Really nice way of drafting into entirely new stuff. Quick, accessible, not like your average box draft where deck building is half the day :D (for some :p)

Yes, when I was living away from home at grad school I found a local store who did Friday MtG near my Uni.

I actually came in second place in the Kaladesh pre-release midnight tournament, about 30-40 people were there that night. Was a lot of fun. I remember the deck I built, I got pretty lucky on my boosters, I was able to build a heavy flying only deck... with cheap commons and uncommons, it allowed me to blitz early and keep it going with bounce cards if I remember right... but it was awhile ago. I forget which deck beat me for first place, but I remember it being a long battle... was very fun.

@R-T-B

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
That's what happens after a frog visits the frog god. I've not been personally.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@Vayra86 or anyone who knows

I am playing against someone with this card here... they did the exile thing on it... well now neither of us can win the game, they are at negative 3 life, the counter they placed on a token angel... i killed that, but the game still won't end... so if this card just OP as crap a endless stalemate??? how do you get around it?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
also they put the counter on this card... so I can't kill it...

I am playing against someone with this card here... they did the exile thing on it... well now neither of us can win the game, they are at negative 3 life, the counter they placed on a token angel... i killed that, but the game still won't end... so if this card just OP as crap a endless stalemate??? how do you get around it?

You killed the angel, so the token goes away. If they're at -3 life when the effect goes away, you instantly win (because you destroyed the thing that kept them alive).

"Target Angel".

That's... not an angel. They needed to do some crazy shenanigan to put that counter onto that card. Probably possible but... they were probably just styling on you.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You killed the angel, so the token goes away. If they're at -3 life when the effect goes away, you instantly win (because you destroyed the thing that kept them alive).

"Target Angel".

That's... not an angel. They needed to do some crazy shenanigan to put that counter onto that card. Probably possible but... they were probably just styling on you.

I'm still in game. he is at negative 80 life and i am at 24 life. i suppose one of us has to fall asleep first, the concede will still give me the win.

I'm still in game. he is at negative 80 life and i am at 24 life. i suppose one of us has to fall asleep first, the concede will still give me the win.

Oh, I see. Its "all creature types", so it is an angel, lol.

Nah, you're gonna lose because of drawing from an empty library. It is what it is: unless you have land destruction, you probably lost the game and should concede. All he has to do is keep the darn thing as a land (never turning it into a creature) and you'll never really get an opportunity to kill it.

Only Red and (sometimes) Green has land-destruction (Beast Within). You might be able to bounce the land (land-bounce is rare, but Blue has it sometimes), which will kill the "I can't lose" token. White and Black probably has no options.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
he just went afk. he has some kind of macro that is auto passing everything instantly.

Oh, I see. Its "all creature types", so it is an angel, lol.

Nah, you're gonna lose because of drawing from an empty library. It is what it is: unless you have land destruction, you probably lost the game and should concede. All he has to do is keep the darn thing as a land (never turning it into a creature) and you'll never really get an opportunity to kill it.

well his library is empty and he isn't dead yet. you can't lose game with no library.

also i have the angel and artifact now myself, he still has lands.

stalemate. its just whoever concedes first or whoever computer shuts down first. i can just make a macro real quick like he did.

well his library is empty and he isn't dead yet. you can't lose game with no library.

I said YOUR library will empty.

His library going empty isn't a problem. He's got the token that prevents losing the game on his side of the board (and it seems like you have no way of removing it).

--------

But if you got the angel + token yourself, you might still lose because he might be able to kill your angel. At best, you'll stalemate (if you can protect your angel token). At worst, you'll lose because he can just kill your angel with a common removal card (Portable hole??). I'd just concede frankly, his combo is stronger than yours.

Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5800x
Motherboard B550i Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Custom Cooling
Memory 32Gb Patriot Viper 3600 RGB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ventus Trio OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO
Display(s) Specterpro 34uw100
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 Gold SFX
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Ducky One 2
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
I started playing during 4th edition and Mirage cycle. Looking at the cards now, all I can say is that they are OP. It makes the Unglued series of cards look like a joke.

To your question... yes it would most likely refer to the sideboard.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I said YOUR library will empty.

His library going empty isn't a problem. He's got the token that prevents losing the game on his side of the board.

--------

But if you got the angel + token yourself, you might still lose because he might be able to kill your angel. At best, you'll stalemate (if you can protect your angel token). At worst, you'll lose because he can just kill your angel with a common removal card (Portable hole??). I'd just concede frankly, his combo is stronger than yours.

he cant kill my angel. he is out of cards. its fulls talemate.

i ended up having to concede anyway, even though it was a draw. he had a macro where he could go afk from PC but still auto pass everything, I didn't have that.

so yeah. wow. what a broken combo. hard to believe its accepted in standard 2022 format.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Yep this is the staple meta game winner right now. Its ridiculous, but you can of course destroy lands to answer it.

Yep this is the staple meta game winner right now. Its ridiculous, but you can of course destroy lands to answer it.

Instant-speed removal is also a thing, but a less common thing.

You can also destroy the artifact before it destroys itself: but you need to ensure that they don't have www available, otherwise they can just activate the ability in response to your destroy effect (and note: the destruction of the artifact is part of a cost, so its relatively difficult to interrupt).

I mean, this is but the symptom of multiple things that's going wrong with the game, chief amongst them
(a) The Grand Advent Of Threats - Threats get more and more efficient while answers are stagnating at best; mostly getting worse (when your best answers like bolt, stop counterspell and force are from 1993-1995, something's fucking wrong)
(b) Magic: The Creaturing, and to lesser extents Magic: The Planeswalkering/Permanenting

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I mean, this is but the symptom of multiple things that's going wrong with the game, chief amongst them
(a) The Grand Advent Of Threats - Threats get more and more efficient while answers are stagnating at best; mostly getting worse (when your best answers like bolt, stop counterspell and force are from 1993-1995, something's fucking wrong)
(b) Magic: The Creaturing, and to lesser extents Magic: The Planeswalkering/Permanenting

broken meta's are mainly why I do sealed or draft only 90% of the time. it's a shame.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Instant-speed removal is also a thing, but a less common thing.

You can also destroy the artifact before it destroys itself: but you need to ensure that they don't have www available, otherwise they can just activate the ability in response to your destroy effect (and note: the destruction of the artifact is part of a cost, so its relatively difficult to interrupt).

Its not though because the effect is a game state change and not so much a direct effect. You actually have tons of opportunity to remove it as a land wirh a counter on it. Either as creature or as land.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Its not though because the effect is a game state change and not so much a direct effect. You actually have tons of opportunity to remove it as a land wirh a counter on it. Either as creature or as land.

yeah, need to change out my sorcery destroy creatures for the Instant variant.