• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Power of Marketing - AMD's Ryzen Hype Train Hyperloops On

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
why let people preorder before having benchmarks of independent revierws?.. that just makes me worry.

People pre-order games months before actual gameplay and independent reviews, how is this different? You can cancel pre-orders?

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
According to your system specs you already own a i7 7700K?
He should have just shouted remember Intel.
Pre-ordering CPUs according to company's performance numbers is like pre-ordering a game according to trailers of the game company
Yeah but many do this anyway.
As some have said I'm more worried I'll have to pay more because I'm skint and Have to wait then this disappointing me.
And in many ways for people like me it's a safe bet ,it's not likely to be anything less than way better than an old platform like mine.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
I doubt the benchmarks they've shown will be inaccurate in any way, they're far too easy for any idiot end user to replicate so no point lying. What will be interesting is how it overclocks, and how it does in various other benchmarks and real world applications. It's a cool time to be a hardware enthusiast :D

The rage is coming ( for intel user ) i have 4790k OC @4.7ghz but i'll buy Ryzen ( 90% sure ) after real benchmarks I believe in " LinusTechTips "
( was real test )

Power of marketing or lack of common sense?

Its much like latest iteration of whatever unnamed FPS game.. hype, pre-orders, delivers same shtako as last year. And people still do buy that, millions of them.

Its not power of marketing, its using naturally occurring resource pool of idiots for your own benefit. Roughly 50% of mankind or so.

Im not saying Ryzen isnt as good as hypetrain believes it is. It might be, also might be not, since there are no real tests yet. But I wouldnt buy it without tests. And a lot of them. And OC results.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Don't hold your breath. Before Core 2 Duo, when Intel was consistently pwned by AMD Athlon64/FX/X2, Intel stuck to its price-points for the Pentium D and Pentium Extreme Edition. IIRC, you still had to shell out $999 for the Extreme Edition of that time, even through it was pwned by a $250 Athlon64 X2 model.

That isn't entirely accurate. IIRC, the Athlon x2 line game out in May 2005. They released the 4200+, the 4400+ and the 4800+. The 4800+ was $1000, the 4600+ was $600, and the 4200+ was $540. And the next month, AMD released the single core FX-57 for a staggering $1050! Yes, the PD 840EE was overpriced at $1000. But back then, people were used to being ripped off for an unlocked multiplier, that's why the FX-57 could be sold for more than the 4800+, despite being a weaker processor. It could be argued the FX-57 was just as much of a rip-off as the PD 840EE. In fact, even when the x2 3800+ came out a few months later in Aug 2005, it was still priced at $350. I don't think we saw a $250 x2 until the release of the x2 3600+, which I don't think came until the end of 2005. And while the Pentium D line didn't perform as well as the Athlon 64 x2, they weren't that far behind, and there were some good values there. The Pentium D 820, which came out the same time as the Athlon X2s, was actually $250. That's less than half the price of the cheapest dual-core from AMD at the time. It didn't perform as well as the 4200+, but it wasn't half the performance either, maybe closer to 75%. Then there was the Pentium D 805, which came out shortly after the Athlon X2s, and it was priced at only $145! It was a tremendous value, and thanks to the low FSB and high multiplier, it ended up being a great overclocking value too.

So, if you exclude the Extreme Edition processors, the Pentium D line wasn't really overpriced compared to AMD's offerings. I don't really understand where people are saying that Intel was massively overpriced, or stuck to their price points, when the X2s were beating them. Yes, if you just look at the few EE processors, that can be true, but if you look at the whole line of processors, that really isn't.

Oh, and then when they Core 2 Duo line was finally released, Intel didn't exactly jack up their prices. Even though the E6600 easily beat the AM2 X2 4800+(which AMD has just released a month before at $670), Intel priced the E6600 at $320 at launch. Hell, Intel only charged $530 for the E6700 at lauch, even though the E6700 handed the 4800+ its ass on a silver platter with all the trimmings.

Last edited:
System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
All this fanboy talk nonsense makes me sad. I as a tech enthusiast welcome every progress, no matter what company is driving it.
I for one am just glad that AMD seems to have finally catched up since that'll only be healthy for the market and the consumer.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
All this fanboy talk nonsense makes me sad. I as a tech enthusiast welcome every progress, no matter what company is driving it.
I for one am just glad that AMD seems to have finally catched up since that'll only be healthy for the market and the consumer.

Indeed. Now, if they can overclock to Broadwell-E level, we'll be quite happy.

Keep in mind, that a year ago there was great hope that AMD would come within 10% of Intel's Skylake offerings. Now a year later it appears that AMD has exceeded those expectations by surpassing Intel's Kaby Lake offerings. Yet some of you act surprised at the enthusiasm at which the market has reacted to this tectonic shift in the CPU hierarchy.

From some of the comments on here it is obvious that some of you don't care about reality and you will continue to buy Intel chips regardless of their price or performance compared to AMD. One poster even admits to wanting to by a second 7700K when the price comes down. Lol

Fortunately, I think most CPU enthusiasts go for performance/dollar more than brand loyalty and this bodes well for a shift in the dynamics of the enthusiast desktop segment.

As for those still putting all of their Intel loyalty behind the 7700K's current single core advantage you need to keep in mind that in two months AMD will have better yields and higher quality yields that will allow for higher clockspeeds that will take down the 7700K just like all other Intel offerings have been bested in multi core comparisons. After all, AMD has already matched single core performance of Intel on chips with similar clockspeeds.

Then again, AMD hasn't even released their four core offerings yet. They may have a SKU that runs at 4.2 with a 4.9 boost out of the box. They may be binning for a higher clocked four core chip right now which is why they are waiting to release four core chips until they build up sufficient inventory. If so, I guess that 7700K will drop out of the top five CPU sales list on Amazon and other sites rather quickly.

It is a great time to be a high end CPU user. Especially those that use software that takes advantage of multiple cores. As for gamers, the four to five frames that a 7700K currently might give you over an equivalent AMD offering isn't worth whatever premium you are required to pay. It isn't unlike that guy that buys a Titan X to play on his 1080p monitor that runs at 60hz. Sure your FPS are running at 135, but you can still only see 60 FPS on your monitor. Your friend with a GTX 970 is thinking "Hmmm, I wonder why my game play at 68 FPS looks identical to his at 135 FPS. Maybe he made a bad choice on his spending of funds."

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
From some of the comments on here it is obvious that some of you don't care about reality and you will continue to buy Intel chips regardless of their price or performance compared to AMD. One poster even admits to wanting to by a second 7700K when the price comes down. Lol

The techeditor over at PC Gamer let slip in the comments section that Ryzen doesn't clock as well as Kaby. I don't know what that means - does it mean that it won't hit 4.5Ghz reliably? 4.3Ghz? Anything over XFR 4.1Ghz? Being honest, at the point of 4Ghz, it doesn't really matter that much personally.

I have a feeling that with the larger clockspeed, Intel will maintain an advantage in 4 core parts. However, with IPC looking identical, and being honest the pretty small difference between 4Ghz and 4.5Ghz in fps if your running at any meaningful resolution (i.e. your GPU bound), I have no idea why you wouldn't take the extra performance from the extra cores for the price. I don't know if I'll shift from my 5960x (if I do, I'll be waiting for more boards to come out anyway), but if I was on any lower core part, I think Ryzen is a no brainer.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Îťoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Intel gets the top spots: Great products
Nvidia gets the top spots: Great products
AMD gets the top spots: Great Marketing

The techeditor over at PC Gamer let slip in the comments section that Ryzen doesn't clock as well as Kaby. I don't know what that means - does it mean that it won't hit 4.5Ghz reliably? 4.3Ghz? Anything over XFR 4.1Ghz? Being honest, at the point of 4Ghz, it doesn't really matter that much personally.

The clock speed is currently Ryzens 7 weak point, but by the time the 4 core CPUs come out, the process might improve enough, to get very close or even match the stock clocks of Kaby Lake parts. Maybe not the K series, but I'm pretty sure those will get beaten with Zen+ :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
AMD just needs to let us all know whey they plan on releasing their glorious 6-core processors!

But keep in mind: this is a pre-order we're talking about, with nothing but leaks and marketing maneuvering for consumers to base their purchase on.

Well that and the fact that AMD showed benchmarks at their press event plus let respected journalists inspect the test systems hardware and software to validate the results ofc.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
The clock speed is currently Ryzens 7 weak point, but by the time the 4 core CPUs come out, the process might improve enough, to get very close or even match the stock clocks of Kaby Lake parts. Maybe not the K series, but I'm pretty sure those will get beaten with Zen+ :)

Looking at AMD's yields, I don't think that process has much maturing to do at all. All said though, why people are expecting an 8 core part to clock past 4Ghz is beyond me anyway - nothing from Intel past 4 cores clocks all that well past 4Ghz anyway (with max stock turbo's being around 3.7Ghz on 6 core and dropping), and AMD's top 8 Core part is coming with a stock 4.1Ghz XFR clock. And if pricing leaks on 4 core parts are to be believed, I dont know who will care at that point either considering half the price of a 7700k and still OC's.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
That's just a sale on microcenter, it's not an official price drop from Intel. Newegg has the same prices as it did on launch.
But had Microcenter ever had that kind of price drops for practically entire Intel range?

System Name 4K on budget
Processor Intel i5-6400
Motherboard Asrock B150M-HDS
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EOVO
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport LT(8GBx2)
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Zotac Mini
Storage SSD - Crucial BX 480 GB
Display(s) 3840x2160 60hz 28'' Samsung UE590
Case CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 3, + bequiet 120mm shadow wings low speed
Power Supply Corsair RM650x
Software win 10 pro
Benchmark Scores it is quiet; it is small; it runs 4K at 60fps (well almost); it costs under 1k$, well almost ;)
for AMD it is "all in" situation - you can hype the shyte out of it, because if it will be bust - it will be the last hype from AMD ever. if I was in the market for new system I would preorder - why? because if it will be somewhat good - there will be few moths till prices will settle back to original (if there will be any avability - even at raised prices). it can not be worse than intels current (or next) lineup (like cpus performance from year 2010 + 20-30% IPC). I would pick seller with a return policy and go all in - and if indeed Ryzen would be bust - I would return it and drop a tear or two for a dead AMD

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Well that and the fact that AMD showed benchmarks at their press event plus let tech influencers inspect the test systems hardware and software to validate the results ofc.
There is a difference between an actual journalist, and people like Linus... It's called schooling. Very few tech "journalists" are actually true journalists. Only Fortune Magazine and Forbes actual carry any of the AMD hype that I have seen.

Last edited:
There is a difference between an actual journalist, and people like Linus... It's called schooling.
Well they could have invited a "real" PC journalist but they are all doing another job now after their publications went bankrupt :p

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
There is a difference between an actual journalist, and people like Linus... It's called schooling.
That's a really shitty thing to say... Not impressed.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That's a really shitty thing to say... Not impressed.
It's fact though. Most "tech journalists" never attended college to become a journalist, and do not have actual journalistic credentials. Please do keep this in the context of the post I responded to.

I'm not saying I have that education either, but the fact of the matter is that actual journalists, the ones that went to school to get that job, aren't talking about anything AMD, because they weren't really excited by this event. :p Actual news journals have very little to say about AMD< and are too busy with other "topics".