1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The RAGE Megathread

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Aug 9, 2011.

1. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
  2. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    First and foremost, they did not lay-off the team because of "this" ... they're just a bit late and many of people are just delusional without understanding how ID works - they're silent. ID Software just doesn't do continious updates on their progress as much as Bethesda Game Studio does for their Skyrim.

Our speculation can head as to WHAT KIND OF DEVELOPERS they laid off ... i'll give you an idea, it's probably stampers as Carmack related to them "an army of stampers" ... those are the guys that make the maps look great, they make the world and all those small details. They're just users of the id studio software, they aren't key employees or anything at all.

I am active on official bethesda Rage forums , we had discussed this already.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39570/Layoffs_hit_id_Software.php

Kotaku is an unreliable speculator, since Kotaku changed it's front page theme it's an ever more increasingly untrusted gaming news source as it's propagating the views of gawker's business practices, many of Reddit users are anti-kotaku, because we have a reason. Kotaku just taken Carmack's texture tweet in a wrong context, carmack hasn't denied anything, he only said something didn't work on some little progress the other day.

Carmack has confirmed twitter feed is only a tiny amount of some few snips and notes he writes as well as some answers to the community. It's in no way a full picture. Carmack has started posting some blogs on software analysis and other topics ... sort of a return from to the old days of .plan files.

Qualified developers as meant for the higher-position devs. They just laid of the stampers and those who just make the mass materials who aren't needed when they are preparing to work on technology and other stuff, these developers might not be qualified enough to join the doom4 team, we don't even know if these are all from the rage team. Carmack confirmed Rage team was relatively new obviously (only 3 yrs) while Doom4 has the actual ID legacy senior team.

Whatever you make of it, no important people were laid off. ID Software has always had around 50 developers, they just ramped up to +200 for Rage mass production, now they obviously aren't in mass production of anything ... we don't know if doom 4 has entered mass production yet or they're still making the tech, preparations, plans, pretty much the start doesn't need that much developers, you have nothing to develop if you don't first make up the story, tools , stable codebase, decisions and all the other stuff that goes into a game. ID will staff up the stampers once again in future when Doom4 enters mass production. Carmack confirmed the ID TECH5 Technology will be developed PAST RAGE release date, here is a list of known engine improvements in Doom4

I cannot link all the sources, since my mind is the source of what i read and been following closely, but obviously it didn't learn the url, but you can find all ID_AA_Carmack tweets.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39570/Layoffs_hit_id_Software.php

PC Patch 1.2 for Rage released a few days ago.

ID Studio is next: https://twitter.com/#!/Thollenshead/status/165494545709146113

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    So wheres the texture pack?

4. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    texture pack is cost benefit fail for them... Not worth it.

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Just proving a point.

Kursah and phanbuey say thanks.
  6. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    lol yep... point was spot on.

7. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    We may see community driven HD packs at some point, but I doubt we'll see anything official soon, if at all.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    No idea ... it wasn't announced nor menitoned this year, it might happen but they aren't talking about it.

I was just so excited i taken carmack words too much ...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  9. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Rage stops working?

I keep getting an error message, Rage has stopped. And this is with simple click of the mouse to start the game via Steam and/or desktop shortcut.

I then installed the newest beta CAT 12.2 (12.1 didn't work) and now I can get in game, but it's bloody buggy, it keeps crashing to desktop.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks,

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Go back to 11.9. Thats before they messed with the OpenGL. Rage is OpenGL based.

11. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Dam, but now Skyrim plays better with 12.2. What's with the Open GL messup? AMD shoukd have fixed this long ago.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    They should have, but their drivers team is terrible. They fix one thing, but break another. That has always been ATIs curse: great hardware, bad drivers.

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    It was recently updated and the NEW driver team decided to be cutting edge and add it. Problem is its unstable. (OpenGL)

Thats not true. Its only been VERY recent the drivers have had major issues and the issues it has is very specific. The REASON why the issues even came about is because they got a new team in over at AMD. Thats all.

14. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    With the latest patch some textures have better quality, but it still doesn't look like it should for a game that takes 25Gb on your hard drive.

15. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    The technology this game uses makes the comparrison of the data/quality ratio to other games invalid.

That's because they aren't using traditional texture tiles which get repeated to create a surface, they use one big unique texture (that is broken down to cells and then rendered in parts - sort of virtualized streaming) that covers the whole game area , no texture is repeated except stamping of multiple same items such as logos or written texts, and the texture can be manipulated pixel by pixels (ex. painters)

It's all going to be released in the Rage SDK (mod tools only , no free engine) and everyone will get more idea what the tech is like. The tools is what ID has been making for a long time too, the tools that speed up the production of art asset production considerably.

Plus the sheer amount of unique detail and stamping that's pun on maps, specifically environimental details, is what makes the data large.

The full quality data (uncompressed) is more than 100 GB in size, Carmack's words.

The game was compressed just because of the current console generation , to fit on the discs and to run at all, but it's not perfect even now. The console's texture pop issue cannot be fixed by ID software, both X360 and PS3 have - this is probably the game that shows an utterly edge limit on what the age old console tech can do.

Consoles allow direct hardware access by developers. PCs don't. This is the main difference why such old crappy hardware can still run decent games these days. Without direct access, console games would have been much much worse.

If PCs got this direct access then PC would have ran significantly faster ... carmack is really frustrated about this.

So ... 25 GB is really not a lot.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  16. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:

if you have crash errors you can post the error report file and your system specs to john carmacks email directly , or ask him on his twitter id_aa_Carmack

Super XP says thanks.
  17. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    I always play until I get a BSOD; not once I've been able to quit the game, it can take from 15 minutes to an hour.

18. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    No need to revert, just add a working opengl dll to the rage folder. That sorted the issues I had with RAGE back when I was using a HD 5770 @ 1680x1050. A solid 60fps with no pop up.

Super XP says thanks.
  19. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    why don't you enable pagefile and set up for kernel dump and upload the dump somewhere ?

I'll send you a PM for instructions how to do this if you don't know on fly.

This may help ID to fix bugs.

Super XP says thanks.
  20. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Can you post instructions how to do this.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys! I just won this game! I'll be making a "Rage Config Utility" for myself, would anyone else be interested in getting the tool? If so you can PM me or post something in here. if enough people want it then I'll create a thread like I made for my "BF3 Config Utility" and my new "BF3 Browser Utility". Thanks guys!

RuskiSnajper and InnocentCriminal say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I just beat the game. Worst ending I have seen in years. There wasnt even a boss battle?! WTF!

23. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    yeah... not 'in the style of ID also additional content is not there even been an announcement...

A nice game, so much potential thrown !

24. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Nice one bud. I'd be interested to see what it achieves.

:rockout:

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Why didn't you send PM about this, missed to notice it here.

EDIT: hmm i think i mixed you with the guy who said about bsod

Anyways: (this example pics are not from my custom PC)
    This guide is for win7

You start by going into task manager to check your total physical memory (RAM)
    [​IMG]

Setting up pagefile above the total RAM:
    1. Then you right click to My Computer and click Properties
    2. Click Advanced System Settings in the top side of the left pane
    3. System Properties window opens in the Advanced tab by default
    4. In the Performance section you hit Settings button
    5. A new window Performance Options opens
    6. Go to the Advanced tab
    7. In the Virtual Memory section below, hit Change button
    8. A new window appears Virtual Memory.
    9. The tickbox Automatically Manage Paging File Size ... is enabled by default.
    10. If you already have it set up properly you can skip the next steps , just checking.

1. Untick the box button metioned above.
    2. Select the system partition on which Windows is installed
    3. Then pick the radio button below "Custom Size" and set both boxes to "Your RAM amount + 10 MB"
    4. Click Set button (if you don't click Set then nothing is changed, this is crucial)
    5. You can select other non-system drives and set them without paging file.
    When your done:
    • Click OK twice to close down two windows
    • You get back to System Properties window
    • Below in the Startup and Recovery section click Settings
    • A new Startup and Recovery opens.
    • In the below System Failure section: enable first tick box , but most importantly disable the second tick box "Automatically Restart"
    • Below in the selection box, select "Kernel Memory Dump" .. it's about 200-400 MB large
    • Click Ok to all and restart the system for changes to take effect.

If you want to make a Complete Memory Dump you need to tweak the registery for that, because it's disabled by default from the UI for PCs above 2 GB RAM.
    1. Start > Search and open Registery Editor
    2. Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl
    3. Value DWORD: CrashDumpEnabled
    4. And set the value to: " 1 " (0x00000001)
    5. Close registery and restart

Replicate the error and when the BSOD happens DO NOT RESET the system , wait until the crash dump is written (until the HDD stops spinning) , if the BSOD screen doesn't indicate it's writting something then you didn't set up properly.

Crash dump will be in the Windows folder once your reboot the system, that file can then be used to investigate with symbols but you don't have to do this, just upload the file on mediafire preferably.

When you're doing a dump intentionally, it's best to close down as much background misc programs as possible, do not load anything else except the game causing the BSOD and also start from a fresh reboot so the memory is not filled with clutter, also avoid doing anything private since that may end up in memory as well, no browser no nothing...

Full dump might help more if the game's causing it to crash, but this is most probably driver issue, but i personally have never had a BSOD in Rage.

With the DUMP file also post txt with full system specs info, to get the specs use:
    DX Diag report
    CPU-Z dump (About tab > Save Report (txt)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012